Izzo Rightfully Frustrated With B1G For Not Rescheduling Guaranteed Win For MSU vs Minnesota

Your scenario is unnecessarily complicated. Moving MN-Rutgers to Feb 28 and playing MSU on March 2 would have worked. That’s what Izzo wanted. No back to backs.

But I don’t blame Rutgers for not wanting to do that. They shouldn’t have to get the runaround. MSU cancels the game. MSU makes the sacrifices to fit it in.

I still think if MSU wanted the game they should have sucked it up and played a back to back on Feb 27-28. They tried to get their way and are potentially left without an easy win.
In hindsight, if they wanted the game played, they should have simply played it last Thursday. It was outside the "everything's cancelled for 48 hours" window and neither team played on Friday.

Listening to an interview, I think that Izzo wanted to play the game on the original date. He said something to the effect that when you face hardship, you need to get up and go back to work. He expressed that he understood that others might not process grief like he does, but I think Izzo never wanted to cancel the game. His frustration may be in a MSU leadership that treated the tragedy in a different fashion than he would have treated it.
I didn’t listen, but what you explained is how I feel too. You play -Damn the torpedoes. However, I can respect that others disagree.

From the article:

Izzo took the high road on the subject of the Big Ten Tournament however, saying the Spartans could have helped themselves by holding on to beat Iowa on Saturday, or by flipping other close losses in conference play into wins.

“I don’t blame anybody on that, I’m just disappointed that there weren’t more options available," Izzo said. "But maybe there wasn’t [any], so maybe it’s nobody’s fault, just bad luck for Michigan State and Minnesota and we move forward. It is what it is, and that’s the way it works.”

Well said.

From the article:

Izzo took the high road on the subject of the Big Ten Tournament however, saying the Spartans could have helped themselves by holding on to beat Iowa on Saturday, or by flipping other close losses in conference play into wins.

“I don’t blame anybody on that, I’m just disappointed that there weren’t more options available," Izzo said. "But maybe there wasn’t [any], so maybe it’s nobody’s fault, just bad luck for Michigan State and Minnesota and we move forward. It is what it is, and that’s the way it works.”

Well said.
Yep, sometimes things happen that are out of your control.

BIG should agree to give them that W, there are little people walking around with better chances of making the NBA than us winning that game

BIG should agree to give them that W, there are little people walking around with better chances of making the NBA than us winning that game
Give them a percentage of the win equal to their statistical chance of winning it. Solved!

But I was told that MSU wouldn't want to play this game. :p

As insensitive as this sounds, they cancelled the game. They have to deal with the risk it doesn't get rescheduled. It's not the B1G's fault. If you really want it played, then you should have proposed a back to back on Feb 27. Rutgers doesn't have to accomodate your dilemma, MSU. You want the game, you make the sacrifice.
Turns out it worked out in MSUs favor to not play the game (putting aside the lost revenue aspect). They got a double bye anyway. An extra non-Quad 1/2 win would do pretty much squat for NCAA seeding.

While a win could have gotten them a tie for 2nd in the Big 10 standings, having lost to Northwestern in their only game and splitting with Indiana, I think they still would have still been the #4 seed.

While unlikely, a loss to the Gophers would have created a 5way tie for 4th. No clue how that tie breaker would have played out for the last double bye.

Who knows, with 3 games in the last week days they might have been fatigued enough to lose to Ohio St in what was a close game.

Perhaps Izzo should be thanking Pikiell.

Last edited:

Top Bottom