Izzo on MN: But now, they're damn good. I mean, they're good enough to be an NCAA tournament team. Theyre good enough to compete in the BT every night

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per La Velle:

Christie can shoot. Parker Fox is a great athlete and an energy guy. There are some good pieces in place here.

"I mean let's be honest about it, Minnesota has been on the bottom for a few years now. And [Johnson] has taken that team and made it more competitive [than] last year," Spartans coach Tom Izzo said leading into the game. "But now, they're damn good. I mean, they're good enough to be an NCAA tournament team. They're good enough to compete in the Big Ten every night."

Like on Tuesday against a Michigan State team that routinely gains momentum as a season progresses.

This is what hope looks like. This is what progress is. The work Johnson has put into the program is starting to show. Instead of the Spartans aging well, it's the Gophers playing their best basketball as the games grow in importance.

Go Gophers!!

Per La Velle:

Christie can shoot. Parker Fox is a great athlete and an energy guy. There are some good pieces in place here.

"I mean let's be honest about it, Minnesota has been on the bottom for a few years now. And [Johnson] has taken that team and made it more competitive [than] last year," Spartans coach Tom Izzo said leading into the game. "But now, they're damn good. I mean, they're good enough to be an NCAA tournament team. They're good enough to compete in the Big Ten every night."

Like on Tuesday against a Michigan State team that routinely gains momentum as a season progresses.

This is what hope looks like. This is what progress is. The work Johnson has put into the program is starting to show. Instead of the Spartans aging well, it's the Gophers playing their best basketball as the games grow in importance.

Go Gophers!!
Love this

Nice to hear Izzo say something nice about Minnesota. In past losses to the Gophers, his
compliments felt kind of back-handed and
condescending. I didn't see the game. Did he stomp around and have tantrums when things did not go well? How about ref-baiting and whining for calls?

Nice to hear Izzo say something nice about Minnesota. In past losses to the Gophers, his
compliments felt kind of back-handed and
condescending. I didn't see the game. Did he stomp around and have tantrums when things did not go well? How about ref-baiting and whining for calls?
Might have felt the same way after, but that was said prior to the game.
Spartans coach Tom Izzo said leading into the game.

He did say this after the game.
"I am about as upset as I've been in maybe a couple of years," Izzo said,"because I thought we played well enough. And if we would have stepped on it, I think we could have really made a statement here."
And
"Yeah, I'm upset," Izzo said. "I really am — I'm — I mean, I'm really upset. I have my reasons I'll keep to myself, but I made it pretty clear that you gotta win with your guards, and guards (who win for) you down the stretch. And you gotta win with your coach. And so the coach didn't do a good enough job. I could've (called) a timeout, could've done something else. Maybe could've shot a free throw for them. I don't know. So I am pissed off."

"I am about as upset as I've been in maybe a couple of years," Izzo said,"because I thought we played well enough. And if we would have stepped on it, I think we could have really made a statement here."
And
"Yeah, I'm upset," Izzo said. "I really am — I'm — I mean, I'm really upset. I have my reasons I'll keep to myself, but I made it pretty clear that you gotta win with your guards, and guards (who win for) you down the stretch. And you gotta win with your coach. And so the coach didn't do a good enough job. I could've (called) a timeout, could've done something else. Maybe could've shot a free throw for them. I don't know. So I am pissed off."

So he is saying it's not an excuse but there are reasons?

And

I thought Hogard was unimpressive last night. With his strength, I would expect him to be driving to the rim regularly.

Father time is undefeated and it may be closer in Izzo’s rearview than he realizes?

Izzo is FOS. Always has been. He's a little bully who played dumb on the Nassar scandal and all of the trouble his players have gotten into through the years. He's worse than Knight. Knight was also a tyrant but at least he ran a clean program.

Top Bottom