I've now seen two sources mention Grinning Glen for the AD Job

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Pioneer Press has him listed in their bullet points as a canidate and Lou Nanne mentioned him on KFAN last night. I'm not sure I see him as a legitimate canidate, but could possibly see how it works. I know many folks here are certainly on the other side of the fence about his time here, so would you be monumentally annoyed if this were to happen?

From a P.R. perspective, it seems like a giant hurdle to clear, seeing as how his predecessor canned him from a "lesser" post. I also don't see where Glen would be happy patting backs all around town trying to raise money. Of course, they could do worse.

I honestly think that job may a good fit for Mason. I'd just be a little wary about his attitude concerning our ceiling as a football program...in the end, I guess I'd still rather hire someone with experience.

I honestly think that job may a good fit for Mason. I'd just be a little wary about his attitude concerning our ceiling as a football program...in the end, I guess I'd still rather hire someone with experience.

How so? PR and handling the promotion of the program were some of his least favorite things. How does this suggest that he'd be a good fit?

People love Mason now that Brewster made him look like a genius out there.

But seriously, I'm not a fan of a move like that. Let's get some people hired who actually have done the job before. We seem to get better results doing that.

If you like the situation they have over in Buckyville then you should want Mason as the AD. He would put football at the top of the heap and do whatever possible to make it successful. Mason did fine with the high rollers and donors, where he struggled was establishing and maintaining relationships with the high school coaches. He has remained in Minnesota since he was let go and I have a feeling he is very comfortable in a lot of the exclusive inner circles in this state. I doubt he will end up as the AD but I would be behind the idea as I know he would make a lot of the changes that need to be made around the Athletic Department.

Main question I would have is why on earth would he want the job? He has a pretty good thing going with the BTN and I am guessing he is not living check to check. Why leave that job that grants him a ton of freedom, to go and put up with all the crap an AD has to put up with from fans, boosters, and coaches?

If you like the situation they have over in Buckyville then you should want Mason as the AD. He would put football at the top of the heap and do whatever possible to make it successful. Mason did fine with the high rollers and donors, where he struggled was establishing and maintaining relationships with the high school coaches. He has remained in Minnesota since he was let go and I have a feeling he is very comfortable in a lot of the exclusive inner circles in this state. I doubt he will end up as the AD but I would be behind the idea as I know he would make a lot of the changes that need to be made around the Athletic Department.

Main question I would have is why on earth would he want the job? He has a pretty good thing going with the BTN and I am guessing he is not living check to check. Why leave that job that grants him a ton of freedom, to go and put up with all the crap an AD has to put up with from fans, boosters, and coaches?

Well, he has been asked with plenty of opportunity to say he isn't interested, but he dodges the question. That to me says that on some level he is interested and/or doesn't want to close any doors. AD's get paid pretty good salary, I am guessing quite a bit more than he is getting from BTN.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/138429369.html

1. Gene Smith, Ohio State - $1,074,546
2. Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin - $1,040,800
3. Dave Brandon, Michigan - $700,454
4. Mike Thomas, Illinois - $575,000
5. Burke Morgan, Purdue - $505,918
6. Fred Glass, Indiana - $495,746
7. Gary Barta, Iowa - $456,992
8. Joel Maturi, MInnesota - $451,900
9. Mark Hollis, Michigan State - $395,000
10. Tom Osborne, Nebraska - $321,538

I think Glen would seriously consider the job. People at that level are always looking for the next challenge in life. However, we all saw how he took any criticism as a coach. How would he handle it as the AD?

Thankfully for those of us who care about University of Minnesota sports, the people writing this garbage have serious deficits in writing ability, and their level of intelligence is even lower. There would be no greater sign that the U has given up on fielding a competitive athletics program than hiring Glen f'in Mason to be the AD. It's not going to happen, but on the 1-in-1000 chance that Kaler is stupid enough to do it, I would immediately renounce my alumni status and have absolutely nothing to do with this University again, financially, emotionally, or otherwise. If the University wants to give up on itself, I can too.

Thankfully for those of us who care about University of Minnesota sports, the people writing this garbage have serious deficits in writing ability, and their level of intelligence is even lower. There would be no greater sign that the U has given up on fielding a competitive athletics program than hiring Glen f'in Mason to be the AD. It's not going to happen, but on the 1-in-1000 chance that Kaler is stupid enough to do it, I would immediately renounce my alumni status and have absolutely nothing to do with this University again, financially, emotionally, or otherwise. If the University wants to give up on itself, I can too.

doubt it.

who would continue the crusade against hand-clocked forty times?

Aprils fools day is a couple months away. He has the same chance of being AD as Pantherhawk. Make sure you are taking your meds guys!

The Grinster working 10-12 hour days at age 60 something?. He won't even make the "Top Ten"
List.

He will never even be considered, let alone interviewed. Ridiculous concept.

OP: "I've now seen two sources mention Grinning Glen for the AD Job "

Two sources "mentioning" something means $hit to me.

Several of us could "mention" something, doesn't mean it is credible. It's babble.

file.php

Sign me up for those hoping this happens.

If they hire Mason I will give up my season tickets for football and never attend another event at the U for the rest of my life.

gopheraschells said:
doubt it.

who would continue the crusade against hand-clocked forty times?
Good one! I bet Mason runs a 4.7 hand timed by dpodoll68

Say what you want, but Glen Mason was the best coach we've had here since Murray Warmath and he knows more about what is wrong in this department than anyone. He would make an excellent A.D. but I doubt that he would seriously consider it. I've also heard great things about the A.D. at Stony Brook. My money is on him right now.

Go4Broke said:
If they hire Mason I will give up my season tickets for football and never attend another event at the U for the rest of my life.
If that's what would make you not support Gopher football then maybe you should not renew.

Say what you want, but Glen Mason was the best coach we've had here since Murray Warmath and he knows more about what is wrong in this department than anyone. He would make an excellent A.D. but I doubt that he would seriously consider it. I've also heard great things about the A.D. at Stony Brook. My money is on him right now.
Yes Mason was the best coach here since Warmath. WTF does that have to do with being an AD?

You and dpodoll68 are way over the top. Not wanting Mason to be the next AD is fine, but your hatred for the man is just plain bizarre.

Never attend another Gopher event the rest of your life if Mason were hired as AD? Pathetic by both of you.

For what it's worth I think Mason would be a good candidate for the job. Not my first choice but I think he would make a good AD and would have success here. And for the record I'll be attending Gopher events for the rest of my life no matter who is hired as AD.

oh no how will the university ever survive without dpo and Go4broke?

I wasn't for Glen before, but now...

For what it's worth I think Mason would be a good candidate for the job. Not my first choice but I think he would make a good AD and would have success here. And for the record I'll be attending Gopher events for the rest of my life no matter who is hired as AD.
What if it's Lucifer?

Not wanting Mason to be the next AD is fine, but your hatred for the man is just plain bizarre.

What's over the top is your automatic tying of their opposition to a hatred of Mason. Passionately opposing Mason becoming the AD and thinking it would be a really bad decision does automatically not mean they hate him. It could. Or perhaps it could simply mean they think he'd be a bad choice for AD.

Occam's Razor and all.

You and dpodoll68 are way over the top. Not wanting Mason to be the next AD is fine, but your hatred for the man is just plain bizarre.

Never attend another Gopher event the rest of your life if Mason were hired as AD? Pathetic by both of you.

I agree he isn't the worst choice, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the top of their list. I, too, would like to see someone with AD experience and the guy from Stony Brook sounds like he has an excellent resume if he's up for uprooting his family to come here. Glen did at least see enough of OSU to see how a successful University works. I also think he'd do just fine with fund raising and the like. What I think he'd be terrible at is getting along with the rest of the University and Academic side of the school.

I would eagerly wear my Fire Mason shirt the day he was hired and many subsequent days afterwards. (It is a size smedium now, however.)

Well, putting aside the fact that he's nowhere near qualified for the position, there are a few things that we would have to adjust to. We would be trading Maturi's never-ending Badger babble for Maon's never-ending Ohio State babble. Add to that his stance on Minnesota's football ceiling, his dissatisfaction with the student section at football games and the fact that he managed to firmly alienate the vast majority of high school football coaches in the state duing his time as coach leaves me to wonder why he would be a good choice. I mean he managed to do all that just being the football coach. Imagine what he could do if he were the head of the whole department...

Not happening.

I'm assuming that the Board of Regents would need to sign off on the hire. If that's the case, Mason has zero chance. A couple of Regents were part of the reason why the guy got fired as football coach to start with.

That said, I don't think he'd be a very good athletic director anyway.

Top Bottom