It's OK To Cheer For Multiple Gopher Sports Teams!

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
When did the memo come down that you had to choose one and only one of the major Gopher sports to cheer for, and after you made your choice, look down on the fans who don't choose your sport? If it's already been sent out, I certainly didn't get a copy of it.

The hockey folks have been doing it ever since I started paying attention. However, some of the bickering in the Sparty start time change thread got me wondering: What's with all the intra-Gopher fighting?

Do I know all the intricacies of hockey? Or how one should properly run a motion offense? Hell no! But do I cheer for all of them in equal measure? Absolutely!

Agreed.

Further, I'm confused. All I heard before they switched the game time was about how they should switch the gametime! Now, they switch the game time, and people complain even more! While it would have been preferred from my angle to have moved the game to the day before or after, this is the best they could do to accommodate those of us that like to watch BOTH basketball and football. And I'm glad they showed the fortitude to at least make the effort.

On another note, it always amazes me during the summer the attendance for Twins day games. They are very good. Remember, there are many people who can never go to a Gopher basketball game because they work nights or have other commitments, but could go during the day. So, if you can't go to the game, give your ticket to someone who can...it's that simple. Everybody knows somebody who's in that boat, so make it work.

In the end, the athletic department did their best to make this a workable situation for everyone, but it won't work for everyone. It's too bad everyone can't go, but for those of us who can, it works better in the end. Not everyone's going to be happy with anything.

I agree there's no reason to put down other Gopher teams (or whatever school it is you support), but I would counter by saying not everyone cares about all the sports teams. It's just the way it is for some people, some are more or most passionate about one particular team.

I want Gopher men's hockey, baseball & football (the sports that interest me) to do well, but for me they're secondary interests, as are the Twins & Vikings. I won't lose any sleep over it if any of those teams lose. I can not say the same about Gopher basketball. So when a regular-scheduled Gopher basketball game -- not to mention the Big 10 home opener against arguably the league's elite program the past 10-11 years -- is "dumped" to a less desirable time all in the name of so folks can watch a sporting event on television -- I have a problem with it.

As you said, hockey fans are guilty of this more than others.

The worst argument I've read is the "Well, it's only the Insight Bowl, who cares?" line. It's the same thing I've heard from my friends who refuse to go to a bowl game that isn't played on New Year's Day. They've missed out on thrilling wins over Oregon and Alabama, and great games (albeit losses) to Virginia and Texas Tech. I haven't regretted going to any of these games, and won't regret going to this year's game regardless of the outcome.

Coming in a close second is "The game isn't even on a real network." I'd prefer for it to be on ESPN too, but if you have technology from this century, adding NFL Network - if only to watch the Gopher game - is cheap and easy. Of course, that assumes you actually WANT to watch the game (see above).

I get why people are upset about potentially losing a stronger home court advantage for an important game. Apparently, for some, if the Gopher football team were playing in, say, the Alamo Bowl against Missouri on ESPN that night, that would ease some of the pain. :rolleyes:

This is how I read the reaction

I'm not surprised that there's such a reaction to this announcement and I don't think it's an indication that Gopher basketball fans do not pull for the Gopher football team. I would imagine there are considerable fans (such as myself) who pull for both teams, might even be their two favorite teams to follow, but prefer Gopher basketball (such as myself).

Many of the biggest football fans will already be in Tempe for the football game, although of course, there will be those who are unable to make the trip down and would like to watch the game at home or at least at a sports bar. For those dual Gopher fans, a choice was going to have to be made between Gopher football and Gopher basketball that day.

The move to an 11 a.m. start solves one problem, but creates several more for the significant amount of people who have to work that day, who were flying in to see the game, who have to adjust. If this was a Saturday, I don't see it being as big of an issue, but for a mid-week game, it becomes an issue.

Many Gopher basketball fans pay a significant amount of money for season tickets and as Moonlight stated, endured some pretty lean years recently. The Michigan State game is always a marquee game on the schedule, made particularly so with a non-conference schedule that was uninspiring and absent one of the traditional rivals in Iowa this year. I think Gopher basketball fans were ready to begin the new year with a rollicking 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. tilt against the Spartans, fueling the celebrations they would head to after. Now? People are left scrambling to figure out how to get to the game, at a start time that is less than ideal, in an atmosphere that will be hard to match a late afternoon start.

Who is going to bear the brunt of this frustration? Whether fair or not, the football team. I think it's understandable that basketball season ticket holders and fans are angry. They've made a considerable commitment to the Gopher program, and they are left scrambling. It's not that they hate the football team-it's that they hate how this seems like a slap in the face of people who have supported the Gopher basketball program through some pretty thin times, pretty mediocre opponents. I can't blame anyone who's feeling frustrated or feeling as if the athletic department made this decision without considering the whole picture. That the football team has become the scapegoat is unfortunate, but it has more to do with inept handling of the situation than any malice towards the football team.

An excellent summation Coolhand

You put into words what I couldn't. Thank you.

Coolhand, well said. All that is understandable and what I believe most really meant as well. However, there is a large contingent that can't seem to say that without adding some rip on the football team, which really has nothing to the topic at hand.

I think many have summed it well (yourself, Jike, ATTF, GopherRock). The hostility toward the football team is unnecessary and petty. If you were screwed because of the time change, that sucks. But the performance of the football team doesn't have anything to do with the reasons you were screwed.

In my case, this worked out great. I could not have attended the Bball game and 5:00 and would have utilized the DVR for both. Now I may be able to attend. Someone want to give away tickets? I have always loved Gopher basketball more than any sport, but I love football too, and the timing really sucked before the change. It's unfortunate. As someone said before the change, the overall tone was that the game had to be moved. Now that they did that, it's the other way. Either way, someone was going to complain. What the U did was make the games available to all, which is what they should do. I think they actually got it right for once.

Last point, many posters on here pride themselves on not making excuses for losing. If we lose to MSU and blame it on the time change, that is ridiculous. If we are good enough to win, we should win. It is still a home game and the BT opener. The crowd may not all be filled with the usual suspects, but it will be filled. Maybe it will be even louder. How often have we complained about the atmosphere the past few years? Maybe the time change will actually improve the crowd. Who knows?

Let's just win both games.

It worked for you, but you hadn't already spent money on tickets for the basketball game. It also isn't hostility towards the football game, but pointing out that if the game was on a real network or was a real bowl game, the vast majority of people, including myself, wouldn't be as bothered the by the time change. If a football game was rescheduled for an NIT game there would be outrage.

The reaction to the change in start-time of the MSU game just underscores the problem with any compromise: rarely is everybody satisfied.

But in the end, I think the University has an obligation to reduce the conflicts between major sporting events as much as possible. And they did this with the Spartan game.

I imagine you consider me the guilty one, WAG

And perhaps it wasn't necessary to make any comment at all; yet I did and I thought it really quite mild. If thats ripping, you'd not last long in the moonlight household. I'll work at my apology over the holiday. ;)
BTW - I notice you're asking if someone wants to give away their tickets?
Coolhand expressed it quite well. Its always good when cooler hands prevail!

No, yours was just one comment that was unrelated. There were plenty of others before that.

Are you offering me your tickets? If so, I am in for sure.

How about we all stop complaining about stuff? To be perfectly honest, if you think you're going to change anyone's opinions by what you write on the board you are delusional. It seems people are using this board just to vent and complain about what other people do or say. Just deal with it. Now lets talk basketball :)

We may have a spare - I'll know soon, but it was more noting you seemed to be angling for free ones!
And Gortons - complaining and venting is part of the therapeutic benefit of the board. In the face of pink slips and chapter 11's there ain't a whole lot of people out there in our daily lives who will sympathize one way or the other.

Alright! I was feeling pretty isolated in that other thread.

To me it seems like the hockey fans are the worst...they almost get mad when a casual fan of hockey roots for the gophers.

I love basketball and football equally as long as the Gophers are playing...I agree, can't we all just get along?

What is, is. Accept what you can NOT change. Stop the whining and complaining. Whatever will be, will be. Let's root for BOTH Gopher teams on December 31, 2008. Happy New Year, ALL.

Not angling for free tickets. I was joking. I'll be paying and going with 4-5 other guys. Not one of us would be attending if not for the time switch. You rock, Maturi!

I'm pumped about the time change. Can't make the bowl game so now I can watch both of these games.

Might run to the barn to try and get tickets for this one.

I reserve the right to be miserable and complain no matter how bright the outlook is ! Dammit !

Where are these gopher hockey fans at? It seems to me that they are the only ones that don't blog? Not here. Not on the Star Trib. No where. Maybe one or two in the 'all sports' area but that's it.

Where are these gopher hockey fans at? It seems to me that they are the only ones that don't blog? Not here. Not on the Star Trib. No where. Maybe one or two in the 'all sports' area but that's it.

Hockey has their own site gopherpucklive.com

Top Bottom