It may be a good thing Shortell starts on Saturday

Sparlimb

Reaction score
The important thing with Shortell getting the start is all the folks crying for the backup will get to see what the kid can do. Personally, he's looked really raw to me and has nowhere near the escapability of Gray. Obviously, Gray hasn't been anything special this year either. But anyway, wasn't meaning to rehash who should be starting since we already have 4 threads on that. I just think one way or another, a full game of Shortell will tell us something. Just like it would have been telling had Gray started and played an entire game last year. We'd have known what we had (or didn't have).

So while I'd never wish an injury on a kid, I'm hoping we get to see Shortell in a game we are going to lose anyway...

The biggest upside is we could start a "start Parrish" thread.

touche. followed by a "start philip nelson" thread. seriously though, if shortell does start tomorrow wishing him the best of luck and hoping that we pull off the upset of meatchicken. go gophers!

The thing is for most of us the key with wanting to start Shortell isn't all about winning this next game or even this year. I look at it like this: We essentially have two QB's for all intents and purposes are in their first year as a college QB. One played QB last year, one hasn't played the position for roughly four years. One has four years of eligibility, one has two. One has pocket presence, one does not. One has a strong passing arm and appears to see the field well, the other does not. On the flip side, one is a good enough runner to keep defences honest (like Weber), the other is a massive threat to run.

I understand you are losing the running ability with Shortell, but I see a ton more upside in the next few years. If you're going to play a QB who is in his first year as a college QB, to me he seems to be the better choice. That doesn't mean he will light up MI or that we will win the rest of our games if he starts vs. Gray. However we might be in a better situation next year.

The other thing it gives you is the option to move Gray back to WR. I really think this team is better with Gray as WR/RB (like Percy Harvin) and Shortell as QB than Gray as QB. And in that case, I make Parrish 2nd string, and leave Gray as a full time WR/RB.

I really don't care who starts at QB. I like Gray because of his athleticism and because of his potential to make something happen on a broken play. I also like Shortell because he looks like he is a little more comfortable in the pocket and with him at QB, it opens up the run game (last week 10 play 95 yard drive all runs). Either way I like the QB situation we have as far as having two talented players at the position. As far tomorrow, if Gray is even in question to start tomorrow because of his injury (meaning it is bothering him, not is he a game time decision), Shortell should start. This gives Gray time to rest the injury and get better for next week and it allows everyone to see what Shortell can do if given the chance to be put in a starting situation and get the reps that Gray has. If Shortell struggles, Gray can always come in and play, if his injury is not hurting him to much. Gray can start next week again after his injury is fully healed. Whoever starts it is getting more experience/reps for our two inexperienced QBs.

The thing is for most of us the key with wanting to start Shortell isn't all about winning this next game or even this year. I look at it like this: We essentially have two QB's for all intents and purposes are in their first year as a college QB. One played QB last year, one hasn't played the position for roughly four years. One has four years of eligibility, one has two. One has pocket presence, one does not. One has a strong passing arm and appears to see the field well, the other does not. On the flip side, one is a good enough runner to keep defences honest (like Weber), the other is a massive threat to run.

I understand you are losing the running ability with Shortell, but I see a ton more upside in the next few years. If you're going to play a QB who is in his first year as a college QB, to me he seems to be the better choice. That doesn't mean he will light up MI or that we will win the rest of our games if he starts vs. Gray. However we might be in a better situation next year.

The other thing it gives you is the option to move Gray back to WR. I really think this team is better with Gray as WR/RB (like Percy Harvin) and Shortell as QB than Gray as QB. And in that case, I make Parrish 2nd string, and leave Gray as a full time WR/RB.

Agree with most of what you say though Gray was a wr last year and the #2 qb.

Gray has had most of four games to show his game. Max has had much less. I would like to see Max start just to see what he can do. It's not like we might get upset and blow a chance for the rose bowl.

I'm really not seeing the point of starting another thread on this subject.

Put this with all the others:

I'm not trying to start another QB thread to rehash everything, but ... (that's just what you're doing)

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but ... (that's just what I'm going to be)

I'm not trying to be racist, but ... (I'm going to say something racists next)

I'm not trying to imply you are stupid, but ... (damned if I'm not going to make you feel real stupid)

I'm really not seeing the point of starting another thread on this subject.

Put this with all the others:

I'm not trying to start another QB thread to rehash everything, but ... (that's just what you're doing)

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but ... (that's just what I'm going to be)

I'm not trying to be racist, but ... (I'm going to say something racists next)

I'm not trying to imply you are stupid, but ... (damned if I'm not going to make you feel real stupid)

Wow, you are a jackass. Sometimes the name fits.

We still have to remember we are really building for 2013. It is hard to say that, but that is what we have to do. Any victories in the next 2 yrs. are a bonus. These kids have to be brought along and learn things the right way, and become mentally tough and disciplined. We need to remember MS was playing on Fri nites last yr. quite a jump to expect him to star at this level now. Just get comfortable and better every week.

Top Bottom