"It definitely is surprising," Jackson McAndrew on not receiving Gophers' offer

I’ve seen it multiple times that the Gophers were told awhile ago to not waste their time because there’s no chance he goes to MN.
Have you seen that anywhere but posted (and then repeated) on this site? I don't subscribe to any of the services and don't know what the paid "insiders" have said about it, but that certainly wasn't the impression left by the interview.

Sure, they count. All the hits and misses do. I have growing concerns about this staff's ability to identify, recruit and retain enough quality players to successfully compete in the Big Ten. If you think things are going great in those regards, that's swell, we just disagree.
Your inference would seemingly involve Henley and Evans; do if you gonna count those that leave (that happens most every place) then give credit for the converse as well - that’s my point,

If the number one reason you got the job is your in state recruiting prowess, it seems like any Minnesota kid that has multiple power 6 offers ought to have a Minnesota one too, even if you know you have almost no shot.
It depends if you have a vision for what your team looks like and if the player fits that vision. The kid can play but does John see a fit for what he wants to do? Again he can only take so many kids each year.

Have you seen that anywhere but posted (and then repeated) on this site? I don't subscribe to any of the services and don't know what the paid "insiders" have said about it, but that certainly wasn't the impression left by the interview.
I honestly don't remember where I've seen it but it wasn't just here. And it was by different people at different times.

It makes the most logical sense but I can't say for it's actually the truth.

Your inference would seemingly involve Henley and Evans; do if you gonna count those that leave (that happens most every place) then give credit for the converse as well - that’s my point,
I am not sure what you are trying to say, I think you left a word out of your response.

I am not sure what you are trying to say, I think you left a word out of your response.
I’m saying the majority of the roster which has stayed, is something he deserves credit for IMO. I’d be much more concerned with h losing a MN Freshman, vs. Henley or Evans in the NIL era. It was obvious Ben was letting TT know he wasn’t part of the plans but his lack of PT.

Battle and Cooper are eminently replaceable.

I honestly don't remember where I've seen it but it wasn't just here. And it was by different people at different times.

It makes the most logical sense but I can't say for it's actually the truth.
It certainly could have happened, I don't know. But at one point last summer, his only offer was St. Thomas. Later, Northern Iowa offered and then Nebraska. I doubt he would have rebuffed a Minnesota offer at that point. By mid-September, wisconsin and Creighton offered and Iowa offered in November. Perhaps by that point he figured he had better options than Minnesota, but that wasn't always true.

I guess if he made it known that he had no interest in the Gophers.....and/or the other way around.....there may not be a reason to offer the scholarship.
If his Dad or some coach made it clear there was no way he'd go to the Gophers, then why offer. It just becomes performative. The kid and his family would know that Coach Johnson is just trying to make it appeared like he tried. Do we just offer scholarships so the kid can puff our his chest about how many D1 or high major offers he has.

And in an interview like this, what is he going to say? "No offer since I told them there was no chance." No. He's being diplomatic to a Gopher-focused questioner.

Would I like him? Yes. Are Johnson and Thorson incompetent recruiters? While many on here want to label them as such, I don't think that fits.

If his Dad or some coach made it clear there was no way he'd go to the Gophers, then why offer. It just becomes performative. The kid and his family would know that Coach Johnson is just trying to make it appeared like he tried. Do we just offer scholarships so the kid can puff our his chest about how many D1 or high major offers he has.

And in an interview like this, what is he going to say? "No offer since I told them there was no chance." No. He's being diplomatic to a Gopher-focused questioner.

Would I like him? Yes. Are Johnson and Thorson incompetent recruiters? While many on here want to label them as such, I don't think that fits.
Exactly. He was responding to a question that was expecting that response and Tony set up that question in that manner and even followed up with a dig after his response. I don’t know enough about Tony, but it lacks context and continues a narrative that Ben is a poor recruiter or not trying, when it isn’t always the case. He has missed on PG’s and is maybe doing well without $$$$$$. I’m glad McAndrews was honest and doesn’t string us along.

If the number one reason you got the job is your in state recruiting prowess, it seems like any Minnesota kid that has multiple power 6 offers ought to have a Minnesota one too, even if you know you have almost no shot.
If you coach the Gophers you don't offer a Minnesota kid unless you 100% believe he would be a good fit and you want him on your team. Same holds true in football because in-state kids would be the most likely recruits to quickly accept an offer from the home state school.

And you 100% don't just offer a local kid because he has other power 6 offers.

There is a reason why the Gophers aren't actively recruiting Jackson. We won't know what that reason is but there clearly is one. The only thing I can say with any sort of certainty is that it isn't laziness. If they thought Jackson was going to be a great player and was a realistic get in recruiting they absolutely would be going after him aggressively.

There are too many fans on this forum that focus way too much on where a recruit is from.

If you coach the Gophers you don't offer a Minnesota kid unless you 100% believe he would be a good fit and you want him on your team. Same holds true in football because in-state kids would be the most likely recruits to quickly accept an offer from the home state school.

There is a reason why the Gophers aren't actively recruiting Jackson. We won't know what that reason is but there clearly is one. The only thing I can say with any sort of certainty is that it isn't laziness. If they thought Jackson was going to be a great player and was a realistic get in recruiting they absolutely would be going after him aggressively.

There are too many fans on this forum that focus way too much on where a recruit is from.
The recruitment of Asuma proves your point - good post.

I agree with everything you said, but the optics just don’t make sense to me in this case. Talent isn’t the issue so how are you able to determine the kid isn’t a good fit when it appears you haven’t spent any time personally vetting him out.

I'm no Walter Cronkite, but wouldn't the natural follow-up question be something like:
"Had you previously indicated to the Gophers that you weren't interested in going to the University of Minnesota???"
Agreed, although if the answer to that question was “yes,” you wouldn’t think he’d describe the lack of a Gopher offer as surprising.

Could they have seen him as a very similar player to Grove and preferred Grove?
No. No one who knows basketball could see that and that’s not a knock on Grove. Read some tea leaves here, if McAndrew is that good (I think he is) and the gophers are pursuing him, then there is a reason beyond the staffs ability to recognize talent no matter what he says in an interview. If Tony wanted to press McAndrew he’d asked about who contacted first and how those interactions went.

People with much more experience covering the team - and sources with the program - say it was made clear a while back that he wasn't going to come to the U. We stopped wasting our resources on Chatman when he made it clear he was looking for big NIL. I'm not sure I see the big difference in this case.

People with much more experience covering the team - and sources with the program - say it was made clear a while back that he wasn't going to come to the U. We stopped wasting our resources on Chatman when he made it clear he was looking for big NIL. I'm not sure I see the big difference in this case.

That's all fine and I have zero issues with Ben not continuing to pursue him if he has no interest in being here.

But when Pitino did the same thing is was repeatedly called 'lazy recruiting', and now it's 'smart not to waste resources'.

Assuming that’s true, when did this conversation supposedly take place? Before he had any offers? When his best offer was Northern Iowa? Before wisconsin or Iowa offered? It’s just my opinion, but if he is a player the Gophers wanted and they were late to the table, that’s still a problem.

Assuming that’s true, when did this conversation supposedly take place? Before he had any offers? When his best offer was Northern Iowa? Before wisconsin or Iowa offered? It’s just my opinion, but if he is a player the Gophers wanted and they were late to the table, that’s still a problem.
I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that the gophers want him. Also, if rumblings are correct, you don’t waste your time chasing after a guy ranked 174 if he’s told he he doesn’t want you. There are only so many hours in a day and it would be foolish to waste your time on him. This guy is statistically more likely to be the next illikanen than the next Wahl.

Also, I’m failing to see how the timing and stature of his other offers would have any effect on what either party wants. Both are/should be making independent evaluations.

Agreed. Complete guess since I didn’t watch the interview, but the question was probably loaded and achieved its exact purpose - to keep the build the fence crowd fired up.

Why is a gopher oriented reporter even doing an interview with this kid? Auditioning for the star tribune?

That's all fine and I have zero issues with Ben not continuing to pursue him if he has no interest in being here.

But when Pitino did the same thing is was repeatedly called 'lazy recruiting', and now it's 'smart not to waste resources'.
I call BS on that one. The only people making comments like that are the ones that don't get how recruiting works or are obsessed with the idea of landing recruits from Minnesota.

There is not a double standard at play where those that were bashing Pitino are now praising Johnson for the same thing in regards to recruiting.

I agree with everything you said, but the optics just don’t make sense to me in this case. Talent isn’t the issue so how are you able to determine the kid isn’t a good fit when it appears you haven’t spent any time personally vetting him out.
Just because they haven't been in direct contact with him since the fall (according to Jackson) it doesn't mean they haven't vetted him. This is kind of like the Eli King transfer situation where a lot of assumptions are being made on little to no information.

If the rumors about Jackson making it clear he wasn't coming here are true then it makes sense not to waste time trying to recruit him. As I said before, there is a reason/reasons we aren't actively recruiting him.

I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that the gophers want him. Also, if rumblings are correct, you don’t waste your time chasing after a guy ranked 174 if he’s told he he doesn’t want you. There are only so many hours in a day and it would be foolish to waste your time on him. This guy is statistically more likely to be the next illikanen than the next Wahl.

Also, I’m failing to see how the timing and stature of his other offers would have any effect on what either party wants. Both are/should be making independent evaluations.
If the Gophers don't want him, that's fine and I have no issue with Johnson and the staff devoting resources to players they feel better fit their plan. Time will tell whether that was a good evaluation or not and, ultimately, he will succeed or fail as coach based in large part on whether he and his staff can successfully identify, recruit and retain enough Big Ten quality players. But the narrative is that they stopped contacting him because he said he would never go to the U, not because he didn't fit their plans.

Who do you think is circulating the "he told us not to bother" story? Why would a kid who never wanted to go to the U tell the "insiders" that he's already told Coach Johnson he isn't interested and then accept an interview request from a Gopher-centric podcast to say that he was surprised that they haven't contacted him since last fall and that they haven't offered? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to simply say nothing, sign with Creighton, wisconsin or somewhere else and then say the Gophers never offered if he's asked at that point?

I call BS on that one. The only people making comments like that are the ones that don't get how recruiting works or are obsessed with the idea of landing recruits from Minnesota.

There is not a double standard at play where those that were bashing Pitino are now praising Johnson for the same thing in regards to recruiting.

One of the big reasons so many hated Pitino on here was because he 'didn't recruit MN hard enough'. That's why we hired someone who would 'recruit MN better'. Every time Pitino didn't go after a MN recruit he was ripped constantly on here.

You want to get the best players, period, wherever they're from. And, a lot of kids want to get away from home for college, so that's at least somewhat understandable, especially for suburban metro kids. Still, it's not really debatable that Johnson's most prized asset in getting the job was his local ties. I think the "not a fit" narrative is a rationalization equivalent to "we've cooled on him" that you say when you don't have a shot. Other, more successful P6 programs don't seem to have that issue...

One of the big reasons so many hated Pitino on here was because he 'didn't recruit MN hard enough'. That's why we hired someone who would 'recruit MN better'. Every time Pitino didn't go after a MN recruit he was ripped constantly on here.
Don’t disagree that there are posters on this board obsessed with recruiting MN players. I also bet those posters are not happy about Johnson not going after McAndrews. There is no double standard.

Top Bottom