It all comes down to Wright.

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Why it will come down to Dylan Wright. Again.

Here’s the deal, gentlemen:

-Rossi has the D locked in. The secondary will be good enough to permit the “manufacture” of pressure, if that’s needed, and to further permit substantial run support, if that’s needed (with Sori-Marin and Oliver, I doubt that will be needed). There’s flexibility built into the structure and strengths of the defense, and a proven D-coordinator that can exploit it. The D will keep the Gophers in every game. Same as last year, albeit with a different “formula.”

-Offensively, the run game will be enough to permit the Gophers to wear down and eventually beat most opponents. There’s 3 proven RB’s, and if none of them can be what they were pre-injury, they’ll just roll with Evans, who – let’s be honest – has the highest ceiling of any of them. I know, I know: the OL departures. That’s overblown. Plenty of 2020 experience on the line: Ruschmeyer, Boe, Guedet, for example. These guys aren’t unknowns by any stretch of the imagination. (JMS goes without saying). Obviously, there’s also Filiaga, Carroll, Shaw. There’s a low-risk offensive line in that group, and a proven top-notch positional group coach in Callahan to get it done.

-To return to 2019 “form” we need two “stud” WR’s. For two reasons. Let’s start with Tanner. He’s reason #1. Tanner is the best Gophers QB in my lifetime, and I’m 50. He’s accurate and has great touch. He throws a decidedly catchable ball. Those are his most prominent affirmative strengths (he has others). I could list his weaknesses, but those are irrelevant here. The point is that his most prominent strengths are downstream from identifying a receiver to deliver the ball to. If he has two stud WR’s, that gives him the ability to identify his target based on offensive set and defensive alignment and scheme – both of which are pre-snap knowns. That means he gets to use his strengths, and does not have to reveal his weaknesses often. The other reason for needing two stud WR’s is that it’s a scheme buster. There simply isn’t a good defensive scheme to deal two studs. Double them both up and the Gophers will run on you. Leave one singled-up and that’ll be the one that catches 120+ yards of passes. In other words, 2019 all over again.

-Autman-Bell is one stud. So we just need one more. Wright is the obvious choice. He has – far and away – the best toolset. He needs to be more aggressive in terms of competing for the ball, needs to be way more physical. But he’s got footspeed and can catch. If he can be consistent, so Tanner KNOWS what he’s got in Wright pre-snap, we’ll have a very enjoyable season

Last edited:

I don't think Wright and CrAB need to be the second coming of Johnson and Bateman. The receiving group is deeper than when Johnson and Bateman were here. There will be 5 solid proven options to throw to. I think they can spread it around more than in 2019. It all comes down to the OC in my opinion. Just avoid the couple complete disaster games that Sanford had and they'll be in position for a very nice season.

Dylan has such great potential. I hope we get to see it consistently this year. Honestly, I didn't expect to see him back this year but I'm happy he is.

I don't think Wright and CrAB need to be the second coming of Johnson and Bateman. The receiving group is deeper than when Johnson and Bateman were here. There will be 5 solid proven options to throw to. I think they can spread it around more than in 2019. It all comes down to the OC in my opinion. Just avoid the couple complete disaster games that Sanford had and they'll be in position for a very nice season.
I think we have legitimate TE receiver option, a tough match-up, that wasn’t there in 2019. Two stud WRs plus a very good TE could make us more dangerous than in 2019. Plus there are Jackson and MBS rounding out the group. Lots of very talented options. Key: stay healthy!

Dylan has such great potential. I hope we get to see it consistently this year. Honestly, I didn't expect to see him back this year but I'm happy he is.
PJ, Simon and KC will turn Wright into a star this year. They know Wright can be a difference maker in key games.

I respectfully disagree - but only in part.

It is true that the Gophers will have more aggregate WR talent on the field this year than in 2019. So I agree with you on that point, but observe that that isn't helpful. The Gophers had more aggregate WR talent last year. The Gophers are FAR better off with the talent concentrated in two predictable stud receivers. Dispersing the talent base across more players - even if resulting in more talent across the board - is not useful, because it requires a QB who can read the field.

Tanner is many things, but a great reader of field action is not one of them. Look a workout buddy of mine used to play WR in college and a bit in the NFL. To quote him: "most college QB's can go ONE, TWO." In other words they can really go through a progression of two receivers - that's it. That's pretty much Tanner. Give him two STUDS. That makes things simple and within his proven capacity, and allows him to actually use his spectacular touch. The Gophers don't have a QB that can really functionally make much out of a plurality of receivers. Almost no college team does. There is more I could say about that topic, but I'll leave it here for now.

MBS will be the second WR this year 👍

Why it will come down to Dylan Wright. Again.

Here’s the deal, gentlemen:

-Rossi has the D locked in. The secondary will be good enough to permit the “manufacture” of pressure, if that’s needed, and to further permit substantial run support, if that’s needed (with Sori-Marin and Oliver, I doubt that will be needed). There’s flexibility built into the structure and strengths of the defense, and a proven D-coordinator that can exploit it. The D will keep the Gophers in every game. Same as last year, albeit with a different “formula.”

-Offensively, the run game will be enough to permit the Gophers to wear down and eventually beat most opponents. There’s 3 proven RB’s, and if none of them can be what they were pre-injury, they’ll just roll with Evans, who – let’s be honest – has the highest ceiling of any of them. I know, I know: the OL departures. That’s overblown. Plenty of 2020 experience on the line: Ruschmeyer, Boe, Guedet, for example. These guys aren’t unknowns by any stretch of the imagination. (JMS goes without saying). Obviously, there’s also Filiaga, Carroll, Shaw. There’s a low-risk offensive line in that group, and a proven top-notch positional group coach in Callahan to get it done.

-To return to 2019 “form” we need two “stud” WR’s. For two reasons. Let’s start with Tanner. He’s reason #1. Tanner is the best Gophers QB in my lifetime, and I’m 50. He’s accurate and has great touch. He throws a decidedly catchable ball. Those are his most prominent affirmative strengths (he has others). I could list his weaknesses, but those are irrelevant here. The point is that his most prominent strengths are downstream from identifying a receiver to deliver the ball to. If he has two stud WR’s, that gives him the ability to identify his target based on offensive set and defensive alignment and scheme – both of which are pre-snap knowns. That means he gets to use his strengths, and does not have to reveal his weaknesses often. The other reason for needing two stud WR’s is that it’s a scheme buster. There simply isn’t a good defensive scheme to deal two studs. Double them both up and the Gophers will run on you. Leave one singled-up and that’ll be the one that catches 120+ yards of passes. In other words, 2019 all over again.

-Autman-Bell is one stud. So we just need one more. Wright is the obvious choice. He has – far and away – the best toolset. He needs to be more aggressive in terms of competing for the ball, needs to be way more physical. But he’s got footspeed and can catch. If he can be consistent, so Tanner KNOWS what he’s got in Wright pre-snap, we’ll have a very enjoyable season
He needs to know the plays. It's that simple.

I think we have legitimate TE receiver option, a tough match-up, that wasn’t there in 2019. Two stud WRs plus a very good TE could make us more dangerous than in 2019. Plus there are Jackson and MBS rounding out the group. Lots of very talented options. Key: stay healthy!
Unless something really changes with KC's offensive philosophy, those TEs will not see much more than in the last 5 years as far as catches.

Unless something really changes with KC's offensive philosophy, those TEs will not see much more than in the last 5 years as far as catches.
Except didn't Freiermuths production (per game) go up with Kirk?

Except didn't Freiermuths production (per game) go up with Kirk?
If you want to hang your hat on 2020 season stats for PSU in four games, yes.

2020 is a bad metric. It counts in the books but not much further than that...

It is true that the Gophers will have more aggregate WR talent on the field this year than in 2019. So I agree with you on that point, but observe that that isn't helpful. The Gophers had more aggregate WR talent last year. The Gophers are FAR better off with the talent concentrated in two predictable stud receivers. Dispersing the talent base across more players - even if resulting in more talent across the board - is not useful, because it requires a QB who can read the field.

Tanner is many things, but a great reader of field action is not one of them. Look a workout buddy of mine used to play WR in college and a bit in the NFL. To quote him: "most college QB's can go ONE, TWO." In other words they can really go through a progression of two receivers - that's it. That's pretty much Tanner. Give him two STUDS. That makes things simple and within his proven capacity, and allows him to actually use his spectacular touch. The Gophers don't have a QB that can really functionally make much out of a plurality of receivers. Almost no college team does. There is more I could say about that topic, but I'll leave it here for now.
I agree. I have watched a couple 2019 games recently and Bateman and Johnson made him look good without themselves getting killed. Tanner was not very acurate but must have been a real leader. I think BSF will put the offense over the top.

Right so he adjusted to having a superstar TE. Some here think BSF has that potential. We will see how it plays out.
I’m with Word here. Ciarocca in his time here never had a TE with anywhere close to the talent of Friermuth. Not sure why that concept is so difficult - if he has a weapon at TE (BSF), I’m confident they will get used.

CAB is a good player. However he is not on the same planet as Johnson or Bateman. He’s our #1 as it sits right now, but in an ideal world he’s more of a #2. If Wright makes a huge leap maybe that will happen.

Jackson not being banged up will help his production

I agree. I have watched a couple 2019 games recently and Bateman and Johnson made him look good without themselves getting killed. Tanner was not very acurate but must have been a real leader. I think BSF will put the offense over the top.
Tanner is plenty accurate by college standards.

Johnson and Bateman were the best wr duo the big10 west has probably had. If the key to having a good season is 2 stud wrs like them, well we may be waiting a long time. Iowa, Wisconsin, and NW have all won the west without great WRs. There’s no reason two stud receivers should be needed to win the west. There’s plenty of teams that distribute the ball amongst a number of receivers. I agree Tanner isn’t typically going to make more than a couple reads, but with more options KC can at least switch those options up to hopefully find mismatches. That said I do think we may end up seeing the targets being funneled to 2 wrs, that has been what KC has done in the past at WMU as well.

If Wright and CAB are having good years, BSF will see a lot of single coverage by LBs that will be overmatched. KC likes to say he’ll take what the defense gives him. We’ll see.

I don't think things hinge on just Wright this year. I think the problem was not as much with the individual player's performance with Sanford, rather he was not calling the set of plays that would allow them to perform to the best of our ability. We reduced the number of quick slants we ran, so defenses could better predict that a passing play was going to be something that takes longer to develop, so they planned for that.

I think all things the same, our wide reciever numbers would look better the past two years with KC at the helm. He puts them in favorable situations where they can succeed and show their strengths.

I’m with Word here. Ciarocca in his time here never had a TE with anywhere close to the talent of Friermuth. Not sure why that concept is so difficult - if he has a weapon at TE (BSF), I’m confident they will get used.
I’m with you, I think BSF had the potential to be Maxx Williams good, maybe better because of his sheer size and if PJ is truthful, his speed. I don’t think KC will let that go to waste of true. Guess we will all see.

I’m with you, I think BSF had the potential to be Maxx Williams good, maybe better because of his sheer size and if PJ is truthful, his speed. I don’t think KC will let that go to waste of true. Guess we will all see.

I think speed is the main reason BSF hasn't put up bigger numbers over his career.

Top Bottom