Issac Hayes Update...

I can only hope we don't get the "Shaft". (sorry)

If he's looking for academics first, we may have a hard time competing with Stanford, Northwestern, and Harvard. Still - would be nice to see him stay home.

Doesnt sound good to me

When he is listing schools and lists us about fifth---and then says we will PROBABLY be in he mix----well I dont see see any bleeding maroon and gold here.

I think they have a better chance of landing Pirsig then Hayes.

I am somewhat optimistic still. He lists us repeatedly, and we have a pretty good Mech E program....hopefully the early 2012 commits are in his ear

I'd love to see him end up at Minnesota, but you can't fault a kid who says:

“I’m going to school more for the education, and I’ll go as far as I have to to get a good education.”

He seems to have his head screwed on right.

I'd love to see him end up at Minnesota, but you can't fault a kid who says:

“I’m going to school more for the education, and I’ll go as far as I have to to get a good education.”

He seems to have his head screwed on right.

I've gotta agree with this. I would choose any of those programs over Minnesota if academics were a priority...especially if he is doing engineering. Typically I would say the caliber of the institution matters a lot more for graduate school than undergraduate, but in engineering you often don't need a graduate degree to land a very solid job.

Awful tough to fault a kid for choosing to go to Stanford or Northwestern, or even Harvard if he's getting a package from them. It's one thing to lose a kid to another state school degree factory that may be arbitrarily higher ranked in some BS rankings. It's another when schools like that are in the mix.

I have no idea what his parents do, but Harvard (and many other Ivies) have a policy that for "middle class" folks (120K-180K per year) your tuition is only 10% of your gross income.

If your family earns less than 120K, you are paying even less than that.

Harvard has a ridiculously large endowment, and I'm sure that he would be going there for free, if not nearly free, if he plays football. It won't be called an athletic scholarship in name, but it is what it is.

I've gotta agree with this. I would choose any of those programs over Minnesota if academics were a priority...especially if he is doing engineering.

You would be wrong. Depending on the engineering field, Minnesota is as good, if not better, than all of those schools. Just as an FYI, Harvard engineering sucks. For ChemE, Stanford & Minnesota are top tier options to pick from; how you'd play football and have the time and energy to devote to the coursework is beyond me. As far as MechE, Stanford IS in the top tier, where NU and the U of M are the next level down but still excellent. This kid has some great options; there's really not a bad choice among them. Go where it feels right, work hard, and make the most of the opportunity.

FWIW, the most brilliant engineers I know and have worked with are from the following schools:
MIT
UPenn
Illinois
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Penn St
Rice
Oklahoma

I've also known absolutely terrible engineers from:
Minnesota
Princeton
Harvard
Virginia Tech
Stanford
MIT

(goes to show you that where you go isn't as important as how talented and hard-working you are)

You would be wrong. Depending on the engineering field, Minnesota is as good, if not better, than all of those schools. Just as an FYI, Harvard engineering sucks. For ChemE, Stanford & Minnesota are top tier options to pick from; how you'd play football and have the time and energy to devote to the coursework is beyond me. As far as MechE, Stanford IS in the top tier, where NU and the U of M are the next level down but still excellent. This kid has some great options; there's really not a bad choice among them. Go where it feels right, work hard, and make the most of the opportunity.

FWIW, the most brilliant engineers I know and have worked with are from the following schools:
MIT
UPenn
Illinois
Minnesota
WisconsinPenn St
Rice
Oklahoma

Minnesota
Princeton
Harvard
Virginia Tech
Stanford
MIT

(goes to show you that where you go isn't as important as how talented and hard-working you are)

Surely the engineer that went to Wisconsin wasn't all that great, right? :)

Awful tough to fault a kid for choosing to go to Stanford or Northwestern, or even Harvard if he's getting a package from them. It's one thing to lose a kid to another state school degree factory that may be arbitrarily higher ranked in some BS rankings. It's another when schools like that are in the mix.

While Minnesota's eng'g program probably can't hold a candle to Stanford, I'd wager we're at least on par with Northwestern. And eng'g at Harvard probably isn't their strongest field. Engineering at Minnesota was always looked at as being a prep for grad school. Particularly chemical eng'g. I hate to say this, but in the 80's and 90's Wisconsin was turning out engineering grads with more practical knowledge. Once you get out into the real world all that calculus doesn't mean dick.

Going back to Harvard, aside from Matt Birk, how many players have the crimson sent to the NFL? Not that we're a factory, but if Hayes still dreams of playing on Sundays, I would guess Harvard wouldn't be the ideal choice.

MIT
UPenn
Illinois
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Penn St
Rice
Oklahoma

Minnesota
Princeton
Harvard
Virginia Tech
Stanford
MIT

I wholeheartedly agree that hard work and talent are much more important than where you go. I have many anecdotal examples of people with impressive pedigrees/resumes that turn out to be major duds.

One of the only (flawed) objective rankings we have is USNWR. Here are the rankings for engineering, not for any specific departments:

#2 Stanford
#18 Harvard
#20 Northwestern
#27 Minnesota

In ChemE, MN is ranked #3, higher than any of the others (Stanford #5), so clearly we have some very strong departments. If Mr. Hayes knows he wants to do ChemE, then by all means the U is probably is best bet.

As much as it pains me to say it, prestige does play a role in getting your foot in the door. Stanford/Harvard/NW all hold a lot more sway with the general public (even though it may have little to do with work ethic, etc.). I work at a prep school here in Pasadena and at this point, every single student wants to either go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford or maybe Berkeley (anecdotal). It is annoying, but it also reflects the general attitude towards these types of schools.

I don't think he can go wrong in his school choice, whatever it may be. All I'm saying is that in his situation I highly doubt I would choose the U, unless I really wanted to stay close to family, or if I knew ChemE (or a similarly strong program) was what I wanted.

Hayes...

I can only hope we don't get the "Shaft". (sorry)

is a bad "muthaf**#er!

Isaac_Hayes_Three_Tough_Guys.png

He's a complicated man. No one understands him but his woman.

Top Bottom