Isiah Ihnen

Is that a possibility or just blue skying (or dreaming?). Haven't heard his name in two years and saw that he left KState because he wasn't going to get playing time.

Just saw that he attended the Nebraska game as a guest of the team

I didn’t mind him not playing over Demir earlier but I find it hard to believe he was worse than Omersa.

Also I watched him very closely at the beginning of the year and I think saying he got lost defensively is a lazy take. I actually thought he was a pretty solid defender earlier and people are just assuming he got lost because of guys like Charles Buggs and Diedhou, guys who were long and athletic and raw, got lost defensively so they think Ihnen must be the same.

Ihnen need to play more earlier in the season and ultimately it hurt the team as Demi's limitations became pretty apparent in the last 10 B1G games. Not enough productivity from Murphy's position.

I didn’t mind him not playing over Demir earlier but I find it hard to believe he was worse than Omersa.

Also I watched him very closely at the beginning of the year and I think saying he got lost defensively is a lazy take. I actually thought he was a pretty solid defender earlier and people are just assuming he got lost because of guys like Charles Buggs and Diedhou, guys who were long and athletic and raw, got lost defensively so they think Ihnen must be the same.

Good observation. His late arrival and early season injuries set him back the most. I'm on board for the take that Ihnen is a credit to Pitino and staff. Saw the talent, got him and prepped him to do well later in the season, as happens in a lot of programs where talented freshman are just not ready at the beginning of the season. Happens at Michigan State all the time.

Is that a possibility or just blue skying (or dreaming?). Haven't heard his name in two years and saw that he left KState because he wasn't going to get playing time.

It was weird.

He went to a prep school in Florida and enrolled at KState in the Spring Semester last year with the intention of being a RS. So he wasn't expected to play at all and he didn't. He then transferred to a JuCo this year as a FR and it seems like he would be eligible for immediate eligibility next year.

So he didn't really leave K-State because of lack of playing time and he would be a RS SO next season.

I don't really see how he fits in our team with Willis, Gabe, Williams, Mashburn, Greenlee and Carr. I guess he would give us more size in the back court.

Ihnen, Carr, and Kalscheur.

Those are the 3 guys that absolutely must be on the roster next season. It would be fatal to lose any one of 'em. Those are guys Gophers need to build their season around next season. The rest of the roster, it wouldn't surprise me if any of 'em are not here for whatever reason.

Including Oturu, my guess is we'll have about 4 of the current underclassmen not on the roster next season.

That amount of turnover is highly unlikely IMO. Greenlee probably should pursue a less competitive environment. I think all the other players can and will contribute significantly. We all agree that Oturu is highly likely to leave.

It was weird.

He went to a prep school in Florida and enrolled at KState in the Spring Semester last year with the intention of being a RS. So he wasn't expected to play at all and he didn't. He then transferred to a JuCo this year as a FR and it seems like he would be eligible for immediate eligibility next year.

So he didn't really leave K-State because of lack of playing time and he would be a RS SO next season.

I don't really see how he fits in our team with Willis, Gabe, Williams, Mashburn, Greenlee and Carr. I guess he would give us more size in the back court.

I poked in the Kansas papers which indicated he left because he knew he was low on the depth chart and wanted to see the court.

Those are the 3 guys that absolutely must be on the roster next season.
Where would they go?

Gabe wants to be a Gopher, obviously.
Carr has already transferred from Pitt and sat out a year. Does he really want that again?
Ihnen I guess is the one you could make a case could bolt.

Where would they go?

Gabe wants to be a Gopher, obviously.
Carr has already transferred from Pitt and sat out a year. Does he really want that again?
Inhen I guess is the one you could make a case could bolt.
Huge opportunity for Ihnen here. Big Ten power forward position just sitting there for him.

Totally agree Ihnen oozes potential, His arms practically hang to the floor.

Already has a decent stroke, seems to have a good court awareness in terms of rebounding, seems to play ok defense. Put some weight on this summer and would love to see him finishing at the rim next season.

Similar to Rodney and Coffey early in their careers, doesn't take it to the hole. Unlike those two he can shoot from the outside. I am looking forward to his progress next season.

I'm very excited about Ihnen's potential and agree that he is a very solid on-ball defender. He uses his length well to contest without fouling both inside and on the perimeter and moves his feet really well defending the drive.

Where he does get "lost" is off the ball. There have been multiple instances where he ball-watches and loses track of his man. B1G players are too smart to let him get away with that and they immediately cut behind him. They don't always make him pay for it, but off-the-ball awareness is definitely an area in which he can improve. He's not lazy, he just gets caught looking to help on the ball and loses his man.

He will learn and I think he has a chance to be a really good player.

Ihnen - to me - looks more like a perimeter player. Even if he adds some bulk, I don't see him going inside and banging a lot. He looks more like a guy who mainly sits out on the wing or top of the key looking for open shots. Maybe could use him a little as a point forward type in some sets.

But, the point is - if Ihnen is the "4" then you need a really solid Post inside. or, get bigger inside and float Ihnen out to the "3."

Another thought - I keep seeing people say that "if Pitino leaves, they'll lose Mashburn and Mitchell."

I suppose that is possible, but if they like the school, I wouldn't think it's a 100% deal that both are gone. It would all depend on who the new coach is.

I'm very excited about Ihnen's potential and agree that he is a very solid on-ball defender. He uses his length well to contest without fouling both inside and on the perimeter and moves his feet really well defending the drive.

Where he does get "lost" is off the ball. There have been multiple instances where he ball-watches and loses track of his man. B1G players are too smart to let him get away with that and they immediately cut behind him. They don't always make him pay for it, but off-the-ball awareness is definitely an area in which he can improve. He's not lazy, he just gets caught looking to help on the ball and loses his man.

He will learn and I think he has a chance to be a really good player.
Agreed on his off the ball defense and getting lost. The other part that he struggles with is in rotation and help defense. He has improved in that area, but still there are times he is too focused on just his guy and not on the team defense and covering up for a teammate who has helped. That is a tough skill to pick up for a freshman. His injuries early really hampered his progress.
Offensively the sky is the limit for him. He shoots it well now. It was really good to see him put it on the floor and shoot off the dribble. If he develops that over the summer and adds strength, he's going to be a handful to guard for the next 3 years.

If it was only about offense then you are correct here, but his playing time was held off because he would get lost defensively. That alone made him someone who you could not trust earlier in the season. Now the last week or two he's gotten better, but schools will still attack him (ex. Wisconsin). I wouldn't have minded a little more Ihnen a little earlier, but not much. He was awful to start whether he was injured or not. Demir and Omersa were better.
Help defense is about comfort, but he certainly missed his spots early on. Omersa and Demir are absolutely targeted in isolation on the defensive end; the Pf spot is still the weakest link by far. I didn’t even make it home from work in time to see Omersa benched against Maryland. Demir is crafty and gets a number of blocks, but why is he in that isolation situation in post defense so often? Ihnens actually not that bad on ball. He bothered Reuvers and has length to bother the offense. I donno, he’s not perfect. But IMO he has so much more value NOW than the other options.

As I said from the beginning of the season...Ihnen has the potential to be our most spectacular player. He needed to play early. His wrist was a factor in 3 games.

We can give Richard credit for developing him, for bringing him along slowly. I’m just of the opinion our season would be different and Ihnen’s growth farther along had he played early and often.

And! We can’t defend the post! If Freeman can’t why would you recruit him??? I believe he has the ability to learn this skill. Hard to do on the bench. He should of been playing short regular minutes. These guys needed roles. Responsibilities they have been encouraged to embrace and excel at for the greater good of the team.

Ihnen is a perimeter player.

As I said from the beginning of the season...Ihnen has the potential to be our most spectacular player. He needed to play early. His wrist was a factor in 3 games.

We can give Richard credit for developing him, for bringing him along slowly. I’m just of the opinion our season would be different and Ihnen’s growth farther along had he played early and often.

And! We can’t defend the post! If Freeman can’t why would you recruit him??? I believe he has the ability to learn this skill. Hard to do on the bench. He should of been playing short regular minutes. These guys needed roles. Responsibilities they have been encouraged to embrace and excel at for the greater good of the team.

Ihnen does have the perimeter skills but he actually hasn't been too bad playing post D. A lot more length and disruption from him then Demir obviously.

I think it was a mistake by Pitino not to play Freeman and Ihnen more in the preseason. Ihnen did not come in until late so he didn't have the summer and then he kept getting dinged up but still, he needed more time. As far as Freeman, I might have even played him along side of Oturu a few minutes a game with Oturu at PF or give Oturu more rest..at least in the non-conference. Bad year for a tough non-con schedule. Ihnen is going to be terrific.

Similar to Rodney and Coffey early in their careers, doesn't take it to the hole. Unlike those two he can shoot from the outside. I am looking forward to his progress next season.
Ihnen has tried to drive the paint several times but just hasn't been able to beat his man off the dribble and has to pass it up.

Ihnen has tried to drive the paint several times but just hasn't been able to beat his man off the dribble and has to pass it up.
Last game he did it. He has to get stronger. He will learn it.

Help defense is about comfort, but he certainly missed his spots early on. Omersa and Demir are absolutely targeted in isolation on the defensive end; the Pf spot is still the weakest link by far. I didn’t even make it home from work in time to see Omersa benched against Maryland. Demir is crafty and gets a number of blocks, but why is he in that isolation situation in post defense so often? Ihnens actually not that bad on ball. He bothered Reuvers and has length to bother the offense. I donno, he’s not perfect. But IMO he has so much more value NOW than the other options.
B1G has a ton of nice post players who Demir and Jarvis would guard so yes they are “targeted” Just like any guy that guards Oturo. Im not knocking Ihnen here. He’s improved immensely I was more or less pointing out why Pitino played the other two especially right away. Jarvis can be a whooping boy, but he’s physical and moves his feet, but he also gets lost which is why he gets benched. Same goes for Ihnen. Both have and will continue to improve on this I believe.

He certainly has shown he can hit the 3.

I disagree, however, as he has shown he can play pretty good D in the post. He is a freshmen and will get much better. IMO, he will be a star.

Plus he can really run. He should be able to get out and fill the lanes in transition.

Agree! And I think that is what I was getting to by starting this thread. I think bringing him along slowly for 20 games has worked out OK... but what would it have been if we only brough him along slowly for 8 games? For him and the team

Were you watching him in practice every day like the coaches were, to determine if he really knew where he was supposed to be and what he was supposed to do on a consistent basis before you throw him into a game and find out he wasn't nearly ready to compete defensively at the Big Ten level?

Almost all of the coaches I've worked with make the determination of playing time based on what you do in practice every day. If you can show consistency there, you get to play. If not you don't. That seemed to be the deal with Ihnen. I'm guessing the main reason he got playing time at the end of the year is because the coaching staff saw enough progress in practice to indicate he was getting it.

I mean no offense to Demir but look at his body compared to Jarvis and Ihnen's. I'm sure RP played Demir early because of his experience but as people have said earlier maybe it would have been better to see Ihnen.

Top Bottom