Is this true?

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
"The Gophers lost only one player whom Kill visited in his home, he said, linebacker Drew Davis, who chose to remain close by his North Carolina home by playing for N.C. State."

Can anyone corroborate? I understand Kill lost other recruits, but did everyone he visit at home commit other than Davis? If true, I find that frankly amazing.

From Phil Miller:
An 'A' for Athleticism

I can only confirm that he did NOT visit my home.

I thought the full context was "player who Kill visited and who took an official visit" but I could be wrong.

I thought the full context was "player who Kill visited and who took an official visit" but I could be wrong.
Miller's article doesn't make mention of that, just goes on to say how they "derecruited" some players. Miller isn't quoting Kill, so is paraphrasing either way. From everything I've read, though, Kill is very effective when one-on-one with players and parents (sincere, affable, not overly pressing).

If true, I find that frankly amazing.
If you take away the JUCOs and the Minnesota kids, that's, at most, 13 home visits outside the state of Minnesota. I find that a little amazing.

Then again, I'm not sure what the permitted schedule is for coaches to visit.

I find it amazing that he made less than 30 home visits.

Doubtful. The context was "had an in-home visit and had an official on-campus visit". He likely visited scores of players who never came for an official visit.

Keep in mind that the head coach is only allowed one home visit for each player and that Kill typically waits to make his home visits until Dec and Jan...so the kids may have had several home visits but not from Kill...and Kill would have only visited the kids that were already committed/visited or were very interested. And I don't see why if a kid is interested enough after a home visit to take an official...why wouldn't he commit...we have a beautiful campus, great facilities and a great group of coaches and players not to mention a world class education!

Doubtful. The context was "had an in-home visit and had an official on-campus visit". He likely visited scores of players who never came for an official visit.
This is my understanding. Kill, in all interviews. sounded that if they can get a kid on campus they will get them. Kill wants kids going through the camps and visit process. They really want to see the kids in action live to evaluate. This goes along with what he thinks of *'s and rankings. He basically said that he feels that there are 50-100 special players in the country. The rest is a crapshoot. The camp and campus visit are what Kill feels is doing your homework on a recruit.

This also bodes well for those that want to see MN kids going to the U. These kids are the closest to the camps and Kill is going to give them all a fair shot to be part of the program.

Which then begs the question why he didn't visit the homes of players who visited. Either way, it's a weird statistic. We had, by my count, at least 6-7 guys who took an official visit, had a scholarship offer in hand, and didn't commit. If Kill has a 90%+ rate of getting kids to commit if there is an in-home visit, it doesn't really make sense why he wouldn't visit those players but he would visit players who didn't even bother to visit.

Which then begs the question why he didn't visit the homes of players who visited. Either way, it's a weird statistic. We had, by my count, at least 6-7 guys who took an official visit, had a scholarship offer in hand, and didn't commit. If Kill has a 90%+ rate of getting kids to commit if there is an in-home visit, it doesn't really make sense why he wouldn't visit those players but he would visit players who didn't even bother to visit.

Perhaps he didn't really want those players all that badly? If they were guys toward the top of his list, it would seem he would almost assuredly make a home visit.

There is also the strong possibility that the kids weren't that interested.

What about Will Johnson?

There is also the strong possibility that the kids weren't that interested.

What about Will Johnson?
Maybe Kill got the sense he was never really interested, so never visited?

Top Bottom