Is this the Next evolution of NIL - Corporate Sponsors (FedEx Inks Deal)

What I’ve read is that FedEx folks have been giving money to Memphis for a long time, under the table before “NIL” made it suddenly above table.

So this is an exceptional case.

The execs who run the Fortune 500 companies based in the Cities largely don’t give a crap about the U.

The article didn’t really mention how much of that $5M marketing budget will actually filter down to the athletes. Looks like there will be tailgating and family type meet and greets, ad campaigns and of course the efforts are facilitated by Altus Sports Partners, a private equity-owned consulting company. It didn’t take long for the vultures to sniff out the looming opportunities of NIL and other potential future revenue streams and target schools for their “help”. The problem with consultants is they often don’t know s*it about fu** or even less about the business than the in-house employees. It’s striking to me that with all the in house associate athletic directors, marketing directors, legal counsel schools feel the need to hire outside entities that will only increase their fees as times goes on, and require signing of restrictive covenants. Does Altius know any more about the intricacies of NCAA compliance, Title IX, contracts than anyone else? I doubt it, or they are making it up as they go along.

I don’t get it.

What I’ve read is that FedEx folks have been giving money to Memphis for a long time, under the table before “NIL” made it suddenly above table.

So this is an exceptional case.

The execs who run the Fortune 500 companies based in the Cities largely don’t give a crap about the U.
It's because of the anti-corporate stances found in the "community" of UMN administrators, academics and staff. Somebody needs to remind them that it is not 1958 anymore.

FedEx ground is an agent company not corporate FedEx. So it just depends on who runs it in your area.
Thank you for the info. I’m not sure it’s the best business model to keep the brand well thought of.

It's because of the anti-corporate stances found in the "community" of UMN administrators, academics and staff.
There are plenty of corporate sponsorship at various levels within the U. Stadiums/arena naming rights, academic buildings, endowed professorships etc.

So I don’t think that’s an issue these days.

They don't. But they already got a few million of free publicity from this.
The other thing for Fed-ex is they need to recruit people to come to Memphis to work for them, which isn't the easiest thing to do. They want to increase the profile of the city and University and they think $5 million a year is a good investment for that.

The other thing for Fed-ex is they need to recruit people to come to Memphis to work for them, which isn't the easiest thing to do. They want to increase the profile of the city and University and they think $5 million a year is a good investment for that.
Memphis has great food, great people, great music what's not to like. If it was good enough for Elvis it's good enough for you.

Yea, but tons of poverty and high crime rate. There's a reason none of the major conferences has wanted to add them, despite numerous pleas and tries by Memphis.

Yea, but tons of poverty and high crime rate. There's a reason none of the major conferences has wanted to add them, despite numerous pleas and tries by Memphis.
I did not hear about that. Makes sense, odd its not in the news to help those people in need. "As society needs to know about a problem before society can fix the problem." Barack Obama

Fed Ex is into everything that is Memphis sports - sponsorships of golf tourney to Liberty Bowl sponsorship. What I'm not sure of is what does Fed Ex get out of it? I guess if they want to be known as a great corporate citizen in their home city, it makes all the sense in the world. It probably helps them with public policy stuff in the area.

What Fortune 500 company would like a better reputation in Minnesota? One company that has a horrible local and national reputation is United Healthcare. $5 million a year NIL sponsorship (what Fed Ex is doing in Memphis) is nothing on their bottom line. Another thought is Thrivent could use it to promote savings/investing in Minnesota. They have started advertising more in the state and have large presence statewide.

Last edited:

There are plenty of corporate sponsorship at various levels within the U. Stadiums/arena naming rights, academic buildings, endowed professorships etc.

Are you aware of the phrase "going underground"? It is what much of the disruptor mentality thrives on. Subterfuge doesn't work if you see it coming.

Not on a personal return as a charitable deduction, but I haven't heard a ruling as to taking a business deduction for marketing expense for NIL.
Of all things - other than Congress - the IRS is the body with the ability to reign in NIL profligacy. Surely there are appraisers or actuaries out that that can quantify the marketing value of 3rd string QBs, walk on O-lineman and honorable mention all conference running backs. Do any of these guys provide any kind of marketing value to a Fed Ex or Joe's Muffler Shop let alone 5, 6 or 7 figures ? Is it a legitimate business expense? Or should the deduction be disallowed?

I can tell you umn works with just about all the fortune 500 company in MN, and we get money from all of them for variety of reasons

The corporations will give money like this until they don’t think the populace cares anymore. It is coming. Sad because the end result will be kids that used to use their talents to get into school and better their lives. That is coming to an end and sooner than I thought.

Top Bottom