Is this the Next evolution of NIL - Corporate Sponsors (FedEx Inks Deal)

99Gopher

Reaction score
We knew this was coming but it looks like Memphis gets the first Corporate NIL deal done - FedEx pledges $25M over 5 years to NIL program at Memphis
Can the UofM compete if we start to need these type of deals?

Come to MN and you'll get a lifetime supply of Cinnamon Toast Crunch thanks to General Mills. In return you just have to walk around with a box in your hands to promote the brand around campus.

The key word is "athletes" not just the QB.

I wonder if we will get to a point where our jersey will look like the NBA where there could be a corp logo on each shoulder or one under the number on the back.

I wonder if we will get to a point where our jersey will look like the NBA where there could be a corp logo on each shoulder or one under the number on the back.
Football jerseys are bigger, so we should be able to jam those babies full of logos

Attachments

• 1557838922576.jpg
    1557838922576.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 2

Saw a tweet that FedEx has always given raises to family members of players who stayed home at Memphis

Saw a tweet that FedEx has always given raises to family members of players who stayed home at Memphis
No wonder their service has turned to crap. I cringe
when something comes to me FedEx ground.

Why do the corporate sponsors care what school the athletes go to? Don’t they get more out of inking deals with the top athletes and continuing those relationships when they go pro?

So, fed ex will use the names, images and likenesses in their business? I mean that is why the money is being paid ryyyyyy?

With Fed. Ex giving money to Memphis players, what happens when the player gets hurt? Give their money back.

Why do the corporate sponsors care what school the athletes go to? Don’t they get more out of inking deals with the top athletes and continuing those relationships when they go pro?
They don't. But they already got a few million of free publicity from this.

Lay’s could sponsor a chip on our shoulder, but who can we sell the crack to?

Obviously they would ship him out.
nice-pun.gif

FWIW - Memphis has been the corporate home of FedEx for 50 years. the company has made a decision to take some of its profits and "invest" them in the local University.

in theory, there is nothing stopping any MN-based or Twin Cities-based company from doing the same thing with the U of MN. But in the Twin Cities, the big companies have tended to align themselves with the various pro teams through sponsorships and/or naming rights.

here's a thought - Huntington Bank (formerly TCF) is paying about $1.8-million a year on average to slap its name on the football stadium. what if the U said, "instead of naming rights, why not give that money to our NIL collective?" I think the money would provide more benefit to the football program as NIL than it would for having a name and logos on a building.

likewise with any other corporate donations or gifts - tell the donors to send the money to the collective. go to Target, Best Buy, General Mills etc and make a pitch for those companies to make a donation - nothing crazy - maybe $1-million a year - to the NIL collective. Use the Fed Ex deal as a template to show the value of a company strengthening its ties to the home state or home town program.

It seems the issue is not Minnesota corporations but the U itself. Frustrating the administration does not work more for the benefit of Gopher sports & their fans. They desperately need long term relationships with corporations. Minneapolis is not a one stop light college town. B1G is the best football conference the U needs to start acting like it. DTA can only do so much.

FWIW - Memphis has been the corporate home of FedEx for 50 years. the company has made a decision to take some of its profits and "invest" them in the local University.

in theory, there is nothing stopping any MN-based or Twin Cities-based company from doing the same thing with the U of MN. But in the Twin Cities, the big companies have tended to align themselves with the various pro teams through sponsorships and/or naming rights.

here's a thought - Huntington Bank (formerly TCF) is paying about $1.8-million a year on average to slap its name on the football stadium. what if the U said, "instead of naming rights, why not give that money to our NIL collective?" I think the money would provide more benefit to the football program as NIL than it would for having a name and logos on a building.

likewise with any other corporate donations or gifts - tell the donors to send the money to the collective. go to Target, Best Buy, General Mills etc and make a pitch for those companies to make a donation - nothing crazy - maybe $1-million a year - to the NIL collective. Use the Fed Ex deal as a template to show the value of a company strengthening its ties to the home state or home town program.
IRS does not recognize NIL donations as tax deducible.

Last edited:

Top Bottom