Is this the end of court storming?

At a minimum the player caused the collision. Complete flop as you’d expect from a Duke player.
This is just stupid. Why do people have to put cause on everything? Anyone putting any of this on Duke players is just telling everyone they have bias.

It was a fast-paced court storm and people are dumb. Add in any liquor and use of cell phones while running and it's another level of out of control.

There is no doubt that 99% of people would do the same that Clark and Duke guy did when surprised by someone running into their peripheral.

Either stop it or contain it in a better manner.

This is just stupid. Why do people have to put cause on everything? Anyone putting any of this on Duke players is just telling everyone they have bias.

It was a fast-paced court storm and people are dumb. Add in any liquor and use of cell phones while running and it's another level of out of control.

There is no doubt that 99% of people would do the same that Clark and Duke guy did when surprised by someone running into their peripheral.

I had just posted a clip of Jay Bilas saying the students should be arrested if they go on the court. The player was not without fault in what happened. He clearly stuck his leg out to trip the person.

Acting like players are always completely innocent is also stupid.

I don't disagree with your last sentence though.

I had just posted a clip of Jay Bilas saying the students should be arrested if they go on the court. The player was not without fault in what happened. He clearly stuck his leg out to trip the person.

Acting like players are always completely innocent is also stupid.

I don't disagree with your last sentence though.
Stuck foot out or took a natural step in walking and potentially defending oneself? All will can be debated.

I just get annoyed at the people who want to say Clark and Duke guy are flopping and acting in these instances. It's basically a Black Friday free for all when these storms happen.

The stupid part is if schools don't learn from these incidences and make change.

Stuck foot out or took a natural step in walking and potentially defending oneself? All will can be debated.

I just get annoyed at the people who want to say Clark and Duke guy are flopping and acting in these instances. It's basically a Black Friday free for all when these storms happen.

The stupid part is if schools don't learn from these incidences and make change.
Post #34. The player said afterwards he felt like it was deliberate act by the fan. There's no indication of that at all. The fan is running onto the floor. The player is walking slowly. Player doesn't try to avoid the collision at all even though he's looking right at the fan. He didn't need to defend himself.

People are calling it flops because they look like flops.

The bottom line for me is the visiting players should never have to deal with the fans of the opposing team in this manner. It shouldn't matter if that player has a Duke, Iowa, or Minnesota jersey on. But I'm guessing this thread would sound a lot different if Garcia or some other Minnesota player had been in the same situation.

The bottom line for me is the visiting players should never have to deal with the fans of the opposing team in this manner. It shouldn't matter if that player has a Duke, Iowa, or Minnesota jersey on. But I'm guessing this thread would sound a lot different if Garcia or some other Minnesota player had been in the same situation.
100%.

This would already be through the 24-hour news cycle if it wasn't Duke or North Carolina, etc.

I hope we're in a position one day where if we lose on the road, their fans storm the court.

I'll admit this was a bad instance where the fans were even running on the floor before the buzzer sounded. I really don't think the solution is that hard to figure out. Make sure student sections have to wait 30 seconds or something before running onto the floor. If they violate it, suspend the student section for a few games.

I hope we're in a position one day where if we lose on the road, their fans storm the court.

I'll admit this was a bad instance where the fans were even running on the floor before the buzzer sounded. I really don't think the solution is that hard to figure out. Make sure student sections have to wait 30 seconds or something before running onto the floor. If they violate it, suspend the student section for a few games.
Doesn't even have to be that complicated. Just position security in a way that funnels the fans away from the opposing teams bench area.

In this particular case the mob was clearly right at the baseline because they were on the court the moment the buzzer sounded if not even a little before. That is 100% on the arena for not having any sort of presence to at the very least make sure the other team has time to get off the court.

In the Duke players defense, his team just lost a close hard fought game and the second it ended he had fans zipping past him on the court. You can clearly see fans taunting as they go by and on the overhead camera he gets shoved in the back.

Maybe they haven't dealt with that before at Wake Forest so didn't know what to do. You can bet that in the future they will be better prepared in terms of what to do in that situation.

Court storming isn’t a safety issue to me.

It’s a redundancy issue. Now days teams are storming courts for beating teams barely top 20 with like 8 losses

Unranked in maybe a down year and beat #1? Sure. Enjoy it.

Continually have bad years and get excited cause you beat #17? Maybe get some standards for success.

Wake should’ve had better crowd control.

But I’ve never seen a more Duke moment than a star player tripping/shoving a fan and “injuring” himself, then watching their fans melt down and suggest that they sue Wake and the fan(s).
Seriously.....couldn't pick a school to be a part of this more than you could Duke.

I'm surprised when the dude wasn't bowled over, there wasn't a bench shot of 6 walk-ons all standing up & motioning traveling/charging.........

In all seriousness, discussion needs to happen to allow for player/coach safety. But arresting court stormers? Forfeit of the game? C'mon man......

I will always love the IU winner over Kentucky for the court storming moment........nobody got hurt!

Last edited:

Court storming isn’t a safety issue to me.

It’s a redundancy issue. Now days teams are storming courts for beating teams barely top 20 with like 8 losses

Unranked in maybe a down year and beat #1? Sure. Enjoy it.

Continually have bad years and get excited cause you beat #17? Maybe get some standards for success.
There’s always too much hand-wringing around these incidents. The Duke player was one of their bigs wasn’t he? He just spent 40 minutes banging away in the paint, and now is injured because he bumped into a sociology major on the rush? Someone commented on an article in the Strib about the proposed Barn remodel and said the raised court should go because it was dangerous. Quick question: does anyone on the Hole have a list of the paraplegics who went over the edge during a game? 🤔

I've had the same thing happen a few times in my real life. Somebody is coming toward me and they are technically with-in my field of vision and I don't really see them until the very last second because I'm focused on something else, or maybe several things just beyond the person about to run into me.

I've never stormed a court, nor been tempted to do so. Why would I? It's not like I did anything special. I was just an observer in the stands.

Last edited:

I want a middle ground. I don't wanted it banned.

How about games vs top #5 opponents, security is required to get the losing team off of the court before students can storm? Anything else is a fine?

Just spit balling here.

Rest assured if court storming made money for these greedy bastards, they'd find a way

How about games vs top #5 opponents, security is required to get the losing team off of the court before students can storm? Anything else is a fine?
At this point every arena should have a plan for how they are going to protect the opposing team and coaches in the event of a court storming. Just make sure you have a way to get them clear of the mayhem and the rest is a non-issue.

Just need to provide a bubble of some kind that allows the opposing team to get off the court and down into the locker room without having to deal with drunk or poorly behaving fans that are on the court.

Someone on site should be able to tell if it is likely that the fans are going to rush the court/field after the game. Wake Forest clearly did nothing to contain the crowd at all because they were on the court instantly when the game ended.

While I personally think court storming is kind of silly, if you want to stop it, just impose a very heavy fine on home team and they and its security will stop it from happening.

Should be a Wounded Warrior Project for all the players and coaches maimed and disfigured in the service of court rushes. I’m sure PTSD is also prevalent. 🪖

Last edited:

Duke star trips someone, fakes injury, and the media goes on crusade to defend its CBB golden goose. More at 11.
Of course the whole thing was BS.

“You can smell the S from five miles away!”

Duke star trips someone, fakes injury, and the media goes on crusade to defend its CBB golden goose. More at 11.
He didn't trip someone, he was walking towards his bench area, the fans were on the court in seconds and he has long legs. Now he certainly may have milked the whole situation but people are bashing him because of their hatred for Duke. There wasn't enough time for him to seriously consider trying to trip a fan as they were on the court the moment the game ended and he was just trying to get out of there.

He didn't trip someone, he was walking towards his bench area, the fans were on the court in seconds and he has long legs.
:sneaky:
Have land to sell you. Has a bridge on it!

There wasn't enough time for him to seriously consider trying to trip a fan
Time to consider??

That’s just called a reaction. You don’t consider anything.

Should be a Wounded Warrior Project for all the players and coaches maimed and disfigured in the service of court rushes. I’m sure PTSD is also prevalent. 🪖
Yup, need a fully stocked hospital and rehab center set up for all of the athletes and coaches wounded and maimed from court storming over the past 50 years. What's that total # again? 1?, 2? More coaches and athletes have been hurt/died on the way to the sporting event then any court storming.

As a result of this incident I can now name 1 member of the Duke men's basketball team. However, if Kyle Filipowski was sitting across the table from me, I doubt I would recognize him.

Top Bottom