Is the Thursday game a 'must win' for the Gophers?

I've wasted my afternoon watching/listening/reading previews of this game.
Every. Single. One. Says. It. Will. Be. Close.
But none of them really justify it.
I am curious, why is it universally accepted that the game will be close?
Why not. Lots of unproven things on both sides. Vegas has it a one a score game

Losing this game would feel similar, for me, to losing the Purdue game last year.

Didn’t sink the season singularly, but in a sense prevented it from being significantly better on a game we should have won.

I don’t think this game is going to be like Mich St was last year.

If I’m wrong, I will eat a bucket of crow smiling ear to ear.

I think this game is going to be like … well, the Nebraska game last year. Got the win, but it wasn’t a cake walk. They are always going to have high 3*/low 4* level talent there, as a baseline. And they have a competent coaching staff. They’ll score some points and get some stops, even if they play base the whole game. That’s just what it is when the other guy is on scholarship too and has talent.

I am not sure about the good athletes part of your analogy. The reason they have been a big disappointment since coming into the Big Ten is the absence of good athletes.
Interesting take, based on how high Nebby's recruiting classes have been ranked.

there is reality, and then there is perception.

in reality, a loss does not end the Gophers' season.

But - in the world of social media, instant opinion and podcast punditry - if the Gophers lose a game where they are favored, the immediate perception will be harsh - the Gophers are "underachievers," etc.

The Twins Cities media would spend the next week ripping the Gophers - Reusse, Barreiro, Mackey & Judd, etc.

you only get one chance to make a 1st impression.

so, in the world of perception, I would say it is a must win. In reality, maybe not.

there is reality, and then there is perception.

in reality, a loss does not end the Gophers' season.

But - in the world of social media, instant opinion and podcast punditry - if the Gophers lose a game where they are favored, the immediate perception will be harsh - the Gophers are "underachievers," etc.

The Twins Cities media would spend the next week ripping the Gophers - Reusse, Barreiro, Mackey & Judd, etc.

you only get one chance to make a 1st impression.

so, in the world of perception, I would say it is a must win. In reality, maybe not.
No, it is pretty much a must win in reality, forget perception, if we are to win the West.

The clear road to winning the West is to beat all six Division opponents plus one from the East. Anyone in the West who ties us with a 7-2 conference record automatically falls due to head to head tiebreaker. We won them all.

Losing to Nebraska doesn't end the dream. But it makes it necessary to beat Ohio State or Michigan to make up for the loss.

Not necessarily. Going 5-1 vs the West and beating Mich St from the East is still an interesting scenario, to see what the possibilities are. Neb could surprise later in the year, adding a loss to an Iowa for example. Illinois similarly, maybe beating Wisc. Etc.

I think it’s going to be a tight race again, with maybe Purdue less of a factor.

Granted, it’s tough to see the one West loss being Neb but then beating the rest. Unless it’s somehow a wake-up call. So let’s just not deal with that!

Not necessarily. Going 5-1 vs the West and beating Mich St from the East is still an interesting scenario, to see what the possibilities are. Neb could surprise later in the year, adding a loss to an Iowa for example. Illinois similarly, maybe beating Wisc. Etc.

I think it’s going to be a tight race again, with maybe Purdue less of a factor.

Granted, it’s tough to see the one West loss being Neb but then beating the rest. Unless it’s somehow a wake-up call. So let’s just not deal with that!
Nothing is likely or even necessarily true before games are played. But the clear path to a West title—for any West team—is to beat all six of your Division foes plus one from the East. Tie breaker is as good as another win (almost).

How many times since the West was created has the division representative to Indy gone undefeated against the other division teams?

It's not a "must win". It's a "there is a less than 2% chance of losing". Nebraska sucks and PJ owns them. Remember this. Also, this program is hopefully past this. Losing to terrible teams in our conference doesn't happen. We aren't going back, ask PJ.

It's not a "must win". It's a "there is a less than 2% chance of losing". Nebraska sucks and PJ owns them. Remember this. Also, this program is hopefully past this. Losing to terrible teams in our conference doesn't happen. We aren't going back, ask PJ.
Well, I hope you're right, though I'm not sure where you pulled the 2% from. One of the issues with your confidence level being so high would be remembering games the last 2 years where we were in a somewhat similar situation taking on opponents we'd 'normally' beat - Purdue and Bowling Green.

As much as I'd like to agree that PJ owns them, they're not the team, or staff PJ owned. I'd like him to take ownership of this Nebraska staff as well obviously! We'll know more about that by Friday morning.

I do see you left yourself an out with your confidence in your post by the one word you slipped in which shows your overall confidence in your post isn't truly 100%

This IS a 'must win' if they want to win the division! Yes, they could still win the division IF they lost, but their chances would be reduced significantly, right along with controlling their own destiny.

Yes. Must win!

Betting sites have the Badgers at #4 in the Big Ten followed by Iowa and Minnesota. Must win this week.

Yes, it's a must win. Can't go into Chapel Hill with a loss already on our record.

Yes.

Coach’s job isn’t on the line. But, if can’t win this one, will you every amount to much?

Interesting take, based on how high Nebby's recruiting classes have been ranked.

Well then they should have dominated the Big Ten and have a winning record against us. That didn't happen.

It sure feels better winning the first conference game! The mood of fans and players alike sure got lifted with DK's walk-off kick!

The Nebby fans had the opposite feeling in the squeaker loss. They are lamenting how many close games they lost.

Nebraska got themselves a coach. they will be a tough opponent moving forward.

Re: going undefeated in the West.

Interesting to look back even just at 2019, 2021, and 2022. (I reject the 2020 season as being worth inclusion.)

2019 - Wisc won with a 7-2 overall conf record, 5-1 against West teams. After their first game, the next five were at Camp Randall including wins over Mich and Mich State. Then traveled to Champaign and lost to Lovie, only West lost. Followed the next week losing in Columbus to OSU. Won the last four against West teams, including the awful blizzard game here.

2021 - Iowa won with a 7-2 overall conf record, 4-2 against West teams, 3-0 against East. Early wins over (at the time) ranked Indiana, Maryland, and then Penn St. Beat Iowa St in Ames. Then lost to Purdue, followed by loss at Wisc. Won the final four against West.

2022 - Purdue won with a 6-3 overall conf record, 4-2 against West teams. Lost to Penn St week 1, lost at Syracuse (non-conf), lost at Wisc then followed at home loss to Iowa before winning final three (two West and rivalry game at IU).

Interesting to me that in all three cases, there were two consecutive losses right in the middle of the schedule.

I don't think 2023 is going to be any different. I don't see the West winner coming out unscathed to other West teams.

Top Bottom