Is the Gophers’ offense starting to evolve?

There has not been as much to be proud of with the Gopher football team over my lifetime as I would have liked but the Gopher ground game of the early and mid 00's was something I was really proud of. Always had the feeling they could run on anyone, and they often did. The only rough edge was already mentioned here. The team had a hard time riding that running game to victory in some very notorious come-from-ahead losses in that era. And, as also mentioned - the defense was particularly frustrating.

Like many fans, I tend to overreact to both wins and losses but overall I have liked the direction of the offense this season. It is a shame that there have been RB injury issues through multiple players because with a little more consistency there, the offense might even be at a whole 'nuther level by now. But, the improvement in the passing game - particularly because of a huge upgrade in receiving group is impossible to miss.

There is SO much to play for in these final games. If things sputter and the team fails to make a bowl, the excitement needle will be buried to the far left during the offseason. If the offense continues to improve and the team makes it to a bowl, it will be fun to speculate what can be accomplished next season. If the offense really takes off, the defense finally gets consistently good, and the team marches beyond bowl eligibility to finally retrieve the axe - the anticipation will spread beyond diehards to the fickle bandwagon fans prior to next season.

this is a good take and I will agree on this. There are many people on the message boards who think this team is a disaster, Fleck should be fired etc. but the die hard fans that can see the big picture are beginning to realize this is a team that could dramatically break out next year. They are beginning to show signs of life and we are moving in a positive direction. This area is starving for a winner and this team has a chance to get really good in a couple years. Keep the faith!

There are many people on the message boards who think this team is a disaster, Fleck should be fired etc.

I have yet to see a credible poster anywhere state that Fleck should be fired, let alone "many."

well CREDIBLE is the key word there....lol. I was especially referring to the facebook fans on the Gopher sites. I imagine many of them are Wisconsin or Iowa fans...and yes there are quite a few.

well CREDIBLE is the key word there....lol. I was especially referring to the facebook fans on the Gopher sites. I imagine many of them are Wisconsin or Iowa fans...and yes there are quite a few.

Right, so trolls or otherwise not credible posters. Among actual Gopher fans who are invested in the team and speak from a place of knowledge, there are many with concerns or reservations (I'm one of them), but I have yet to see any actual Gophers fans call for Fleck's firing. That's a trope that the hardcore Fleck sycophants (not saying you're one of them) like to trot out from time to time.

#80 in scoring offense, #87 in total offense.

And your point is?

The thread isn't saying the offense has arrived or peaked it is pointing out that it is evolving and that there are signs of life in it that have been missing around here for a long long long time on that side of the ball.

If you can honestly say you don't see reasons to be optimistic about the potential of this offense over the next few years then I feel sorry for you because there is a lot there to be excited about.

PJ Fleck's body of work is still in progress. I do like the Gophers chances under him and I hope he is successful and decides to really stay put. Why wouldn't he if he can fix all facets of the Gopher game. He is attacking all the Gophers' needs which are many in the rebuilding of the culture and program.

But, it is like a giant balloon. You squeaze on one side and the balloon deforms to the other side. A balancing act. How in the world could Jeff Brohm elevate the Boilermakers that fast? It does help to have a 5th year senior who can pass. Plus Darrell Hazell did recruit a lot of good players.

It is like MN is always missing an ingredient or two when they had their chances. I agree that had the Gophers gotten one more first down during the TTU bowl game, they could have won and Mason will most likely be coaching for a while.

It is just MN has a lot of tough breaks with lack of depth, injuries, players leaving early, etc... Like some people say, you create your own luck through hard work.

Here are some quotes apropos for PJ Fleck:

"Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave."
Mary Tyler Moore

"I've got big shoes to fill. This is my chance to do something. I have to seize the moment."]
Andrew Jackson

"The longer you hang in there, the greater the chance that something will happen in your favor. No matter how hard it seems, the longer you persist, the more likely your success."

Jack Canfield

Last edited:

I did, and you seem to have made an assumption about, or read into my post.

So what was your point then? All you did was toss out the current offensive rankings without any other information. The natural assumption in that would be that you don't see the same evolution that House and others clearly do.

But if that is not the case what was your intention in pointing out the current ranks?

So what was your point then? All you did was toss out the current offensive rankings without any other information. The natural assumption in that would be that you don't see the same evolution that House and others clearly do.

But if that is not the case what was your intention in pointing out the current ranks?

Have you looked those rankings for Gophs over the last several years?

I did, and you seem to have made an assumption about, or read into my post.

Well, yeah when you don’t elaborate and are so vague, we kinda have to make assumptions. Your post didn’t really have to do with the information posted so I assumed you didn’t actually read it.

Top Bottom