Is the bubble that weak? Fox sports showing love.

It's that weak, but I can't see how the Selection Committee could justify taking a team that (currently) has lost 7 of its last 8 and hasn't proven it can win games without one of its best players. That said, if this makes anyone feel better. ...

The bubble was just as weak last year, maybe a tad bit less so. On March 8th of 2010 heading into the Big Ten Tournament, the Gophers were #78 in the RPI (currently they are #60) and like this year were on the tail end of a weak bubble. Obviously, the Gophers pretty much earned their at-large bid last year with wins vs. Michigan State & Purdue in Indy. I don't like the odds of lightning striking two years in a row, especially if we're Nolen-less or with a nowhere near 100% Nolen.

However, if they can get to 19-11 & 8-10 (don't bank on it, but possible), I'd surmise the Gophers will be in more realistic "sniffing range" of a bid at 8-10 heading into Indy than they were last year at 9-9. It likely won't require 3 wins in Indy, perhaps only 2, and if we're really lucky 1. ... provided some teams the likes of Baylor, Memphis, Clemson, Colorado, Alabama, Colorado State, Southern Miss, Richmond & Virginia Tech choke and/or suck down the stretch.

Provided the Gophers take care of their end of things tonight and Sunday vs. Penn State (not likely), then we should hope Michigan beats Michigan State on Saturday. We could use another RPI top-50 win, and the Wolverines (#57) are sneaking up on 50.

I say this team is out at this point, but I wouldn't be shocked if they got in should they (somehow) win their last two and day 1 of the BTT.

One thing's for sure. The Gophers need to win their last two just to get back on the radar. No one's even discussing them (the talking heads on ESPN or the prominent bracketologists), nor should they be. And that might not be a bad thing.

I still think win the last two, and win two in the BTT and we have a legitimate shot at getting in. Problem is, I have little faith we can do that lol. I mean, if you can't win at home, I have a hard time expecting 3 of 4 wins on road/neutral sites in a row. Tubby's proven me wrong before though, I'll give them a chance. The first three of those four wins they'd need are definitely winnable. They just gotta figure out this end of game situation issues they're having. Or just beat teams convincingly enough that it doesn't matter.

Right now what is killing us is the fact that we're trending down so hard. Based on pure numbers, I think we're still actually in okay shape. But you can't just ignore a 1-7 slide at the end of the year.

Sunday

choke and/or suck down the stretch

That pretty much describes the last 6 weeks or so.

I keep hoping the lads can turn it around and then they play another game!

Tonight should help to clarify the situation.

Wins away from home are Gophers' biggest +

I mean, if you can't win at home, I have a hard time expecting 3 of 4 wins on road/neutral sites in a row.

Ironically, that's one of the things that could potentially work in the Gophers' favor, if they can right the ship at the last moment. We are not a home-court hero. 3 of our 4 best wins have come away from Williams Arena (North Carolina, West Virginia & Michigan). The committee likes quality road/neutral wins. ... the NCAA Tournament is played on neutral courts. All 3 of those certainly qualify. We're 6-6 in road/neutral games, which is a pretty solid mark for a bubble team, and we can improve on that tonight and in Indy.

Ironically, that's one of the things that could potentially work in the Gophers' favor, if they can right the ship at the last moment. We are not a home-court hero. 3 of our 4 best wins have come away from Williams Arena (North Carolina, West Virginia & Michigan). The committee likes quality road/neutral wins. ... the NCAA Tournament is played on neutral courts. All 3 of those certainly qualify. We're 6-6 in road/neutral games, which is a pretty solid mark for a bubble team, and we can improve on that tonight and in Indy.

This is kind of what I was saying yesterday. If they get to 8-10, the #7 seed in the BTT, then beat Wisconsin and Purdue to get to the finals, IMO it would be very hard to leave them out, especially if Nolen returns. They'd be 10-7 in road/neutral games, with 4 of those wins coming against the RPI top 25, plus they would show they are a different team with Nolen back.

Getting to the #7 seed is critical, though.

If I Were (Any Of) You

I'd settle/hope for W tonight at Northwestern and go from there.

Gophers' best path to NCAA is W on March 10-11-12-13.

POSSIBLY W the next 2 and then March 10-11-12 but not 13.

22 W on March 13th should bring an NCAA invite.

#7 seed

If we win our last two, most every tie-breaker scenario will get us the #7 seed. If the Gophers & Penn State finish in a tie for 7th at 8-10, we'd get it by virtue of our win over Purdue.

If it's us, Michigan and Penn State tied for 6th at 8-10, Michigan would be #6, we'd be #7 and PSU would be #8.

Of the more unlikely scenarios (requiring an Illinois loss to Indiana), an Illinois, Michigan, Gophers & Penn State tie for 5th at 8-10 again would land the Gophers 7th.

The only bad tie-breaker scenario for the Gophers I can think of is if we finish tied for 6th with Illinois and Penn State. Illinois would be #6, Penn State would be #7 and the Gophers would be #8.

No way we get in over Gonzaga. I hope we get in though. I agree with the sentiment that we have to win our last 2 and 1st of the BTT to even be considered.

If the gophers win against Northwestern I predict a bid will be attained. They lose to Northwestern.....for the first time all year the people claiming a BTT title is necessary to get in will be correct.

THE FUTURE:

When I was just a little boy, I asked my Mother, "what will I be?
Will I be handsome, will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me:

"Figure it out for yourself ya little $hit!!!!!!!!!!"

I'd settle/hope for W tonight at Northwestern and go from there.

Gophers' best path to NCAA is W on March 10-11-12-13.

POSSIBLY W the next 2 and then March 10-11-12 but not 13.

22 W on March 13th should bring an NCAA invite.

If we get 21 wins and don't get an NCAA invite I will agree to never post on this forum ever again.

Top Bottom