Is SKOR NORTH correct in saying that PJ is not a gameday coach? Is he not capable of reading and making adjustments?

Apparently outpacing means having 1/27th of the share of kfan.

that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. KFAN is a traditional over-the-air radio station.

Skor North exists as a podcast network. I think they do an hour a day of 'highlights' on the over-the-air station. Granted, when they were doing over-the-air radio, their ratings were not great, which led them to going the podcast route.

I listen to Skor North - but with the podcasts, I can pick and choose the content I want, when I want. So I mainly listen to Reusse's segments, and the 'scoop' sessions with Doogie.

hey, if you like what they do on KFAN, great. I used to listen to Barreiro quite a bit, but I rarely listen any more. The Power Trip and PA - I would rather listen to someone making fart noises with their armpits.

that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. KFAN is a traditional over-the-air radio station.

Skor North exists as a podcast network. I think they do an hour a day of 'highlights' on the over-the-air station. Granted, when they were doing over-the-air radio, their ratings were not great, which led them to going the podcast route.

I listen to Skor North - but with the podcasts, I can pick and choose the content I want, when I want. So I mainly listen to Reusse's segments, and the 'scoop' sessions with Doogie.

hey, if you like what they do on KFAN, great. I used to listen to Barreiro quite a bit, but I rarely listen any more. The Power Trip and PA - I would rather listen to someone making fart noises with their armpits.
Always the sign of a successful radio station when they turn into a podcast network.

BTW I'm not a huge KFAN listener. Listen a little in the morning on my way to work but that's mostly it. It's pretty hard to argue with their success though. For someone to say SN is outpacing them is silly.

Regarding skor north - Zulgad is a complete moron though. Pretty much everything I've ever heard him say is nonsense.

Question - how much time do we waste by our “second” glances to the sideline? (I do realize with our timed second glances, the opponents offense is still on the sideline)- I guess second glances is a major part of PJ‘s obsession winning the time of possession stat . At times, I/we get frustrated that our last drive at half time and / or end of game, we run short of time Because of second glances.
That has nothing to do with time of possession. They could just huddle up if that was the purpose. It's to get lined up, see how the defense lines up and then adjust if needed.

Wow, Zulgad actually took some time to talk about the Gophers?
That's my biggest grip with Mackey and Judd. The Wolves can suck for 25 years and they still talk about every single game. The Wild get the same treatment.

With the Gophers, they ignored them until 4-0, then went all the way overboard to "Rose Bowl!" for a week. Then after a couple losses "F em, we're not going to talk about them anymore" and Mackey stating he won't even watch any of the remaining games. An odd thing for a sports talk show host to brag about. They pretty much only discuss them when Reusse is on now and only because he brings them up.

They did the same thing with Gopher basketball last year. Completely ignored until beating Michigan. Then a bunch of "they're going to make the NCAA's/Ben Johnson's going to win coach of the year" then back to completely ignoring them. I can understand that a bit more, as they were just bad last year. The Twins have recently gotten the same treatment. So it's pretty much Vikings/Wolves/Wild and that's it.

They are right in this instance. PJ is not a very good game day coach. The time out usage is often brutal. The recent spate of indecision on 4th and shorts etc. And just generally being way too conservative and playing not to lose instead of playing to win. He's better in the other areas, but a game-day strategy coach as many NFL coaches now have seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

Not at all a big deal, but also that silly get-up he always wears, no matter what the temp/weather conditions are.
A lot of his gimmicks bug me, but I actually like that one. If it's cold out, I think the coach being a little underdressed and acting like it doesn't bother him sets to tone that it really isn't that cold, and hopefully that rubs off on the players.

I don’t know anyone that’s watched the gophers over the past 6 years that would say he’s a great game day coach. I think Kill was a better game day coach. But there’s more to running a program than being a game day coach. My biggest issue is the wasting of timeouts.

Top Bottom