Is our cupboard really that bare?

This years roster with Carr is a second to last place team
It was a second to last place team with two of our top 3 players missing either the last 6 or last 8 games together at the same time. People on this thread are acting like that didn’t happen for some reason. We probably would have won 3-5 more games with if those guys played just looking at how close some of the games where that they missed.

Everyone improving over the off-season, coupled with the fact that other teams will also be losing their best players, could absolutely mean this team could compete for a middle tier Big Ten spot if we keep everyone and get a few nice transfers to supplement things like Roddy or Battle plus a transfer PG.

I guess this was the point of starting this thread. The Gophers didn't beat these teams by accident. They didn't beat these teams with one player. Luck is always a factor here and there, but the Gophers played great bball on occasion this year despite having a poor offensive game planner/manager. My opinion is improved coaching swaps a few of our losses to wins and this team is above an 8 seed in the tourney.
We are in full agreement. I’m more apt to rip our defensive deficiencies more than our offense, but the idea is still the same with likely similar results.

We are in full agreement. I’m more apt to rip our defensive deficiencies more than our offense, but the idea is still the same with likely similar results.
Ha! I have a hard time not ripping the offense because there generally was no offense. The Gophers played decent defense when they put effort into playing decent defense (minus a couple guys who just can't).

It was a second to last place team with two of our top 3 players missing either the last 6 or last 8 games together at the same time. People on this thread are acting like that didn’t happen for some reason. We probably would have won 3-5 more games with if those guys played just looking at how close some of the games where that they missed.

Everyone improving over the off-season, coupled with the fact that other teams will also be losing their best players, could absolutely mean this team could compete for a middle tier Big Ten spot if we keep everyone and get a few nice transfers to supplement things like Roddy or Battle plus a transfer PG.
This team had lost 6 of the last 10 big ten games before the injuries. Without injuries they probably win more...finish 9-11 or 10-10

I agree with you.

That doesn’t mean this is a good roster.
Without Carr this team might not win a single game in big ten play. I think they would’ve. But the number would’ve been closer to 0 than 5.

This is a good discussion. I think the cupboard is pretty bare. It’s hard to judge Mitchell who never played and may have potential. Robbins and Gabe are solid, capable and basically proven Big Ten players. Mash is a future solid but not great player. Ihnen appears to have potential. Beyond that you are looking at team role player at best. That’s not enough to start a rebuild. Recruiting is bringing in two future solid players but nothing resembling a star.

Richards’s problem was an inability to bring in enough quality players. New coach needs to upgrade talent to compete. Needs to keep Gabe and Treyton in the fold for local relations purposes. Roster shortages have been issues for years. I would not run off any guy who is a good citizen and wants to stay.

This is a good discussion. I think the cupboard is pretty bare. It’s hard to judge Mitchell who never played and may have potential. Robbins and Gabe are solid, capable and basically proven Big Ten players. Mash is a future solid but not great player. Ihnen appears to have potential. Beyond that you are looking at team role player at best. That’s not enough to start a rebuild. Recruiting is bringing in two future solid players but nothing resembling a star.

Richards’s problem was an inability to bring in enough quality players. New coach needs to upgrade talent to compete. Needs to keep Gabe and Treyton in the fold for local relations purposes. Roster shortages have been issues for years. I would not run off any guy who is a good citizen and wants to stay.
I’d say Robbins is more then just a solid player, he is good and possibly the top returning Big in the conference depending on who leaves. You also have Johnson likely coming back who is solid. And Gach has shown he is capable of being a quality starter and Tre is a quality bench piece.

We would need a couple solid transfer though but if we get that then I think can have a nice squad.

Robbins is all Big Ten capable. I didn’t mention Johnson assuming he’s gone. He’s the kind of effort guy you can start a rebuild with. Need to get shooters for sure.

I’d say Robbins is more then just a solid player, he is good and possibly the top returning Big in the conference depending on who leaves. You also have Johnson likely coming back who is solid. And Gach has shown he is capable of being a quality starter and Tre is a quality bench piece.

We would need a couple solid transfer though but if we get that then I think can have a nice squad.
Agree, I'm not as down on the overall talent on the roster as some. I think you need a coach who can get them to function as a team, but there are definitely some pieces to work with on the roster.

Robbins is all Big Ten capable. I didn’t mention Johnson assuming he’s gone. He’s the kind of effort guy you can start a rebuild with. Need to get shooters for sure.
Based on Johnson’s comments it sounds like he is leaning toward coming back. I’d definitely put the chances above 50%

You should be able to build around Robbins, Johnson, and Mash. I think Mash can be better than he's showing if there is a capable offense and capable shooters. He tries to play like Carr too much and he's not the player Carr is.

If you have those 3 and add Gabe, Ihnen, Freeman as role players you're on the right track but still a ways off. Land a transfer guard who can provide an instant impact, another guard who can shoot, and probably some depth inside and you never know.

Based on Johnson’s comments it sounds like he is leaning toward coming back. I’d definitely put the chances above 50%
He was honored at Senior Day though--not sure if that means anything or how much weight to put on it if it does.

There are decent pieces returning, but good-to-great teams need star power.

Robbins: The closest we have to a star. He might be first team preseason all-B1G.

Gabe: Tremendous defender, but just as mediocre a shooter as the others and can’t handle the basketball at all.

Mashburn: Innovative creator, but hasn’t shot well and absolutely horrendous on defense.

Williams: Does a lot of things decently well. Maybe too loose and haphazard at times?

Freeman: He’ll be solid for 15 minutes a game, but I don’t know if his ceiling is much higher.

Gach: I want to see him healthy and confident. I think there’s a lot more there than he’s shown.

Ihnen: Better inside than outside, and improving. Put on some more weight, young fella.

Mitchell: Did they even give him a uniform this year?

You know who the Gophers need? They need a star. Just one. They need an entrée for this dinner. Otherwise, it’s just five helpings of salad.

There are decent pieces returning, but good-to-great teams need star power.

Robbins: The closest we have to a star. He might be first team preseason all-B1G.

Gabe: Tremendous defender, but just as mediocre a shooter as the others and can’t handle the basketball at all.

Mashburn: Innovative creator, but hasn’t shot well and absolutely horrendous on defense.

Williams: Does a lot of things decently well. Maybe too loose and haphazard at times?

Freeman: He’ll be solid for 15 minutes a game, but I don’t know if his ceiling is much higher.

Gach: I want to see him healthy and confident. I think there’s a lot more there than he’s shown.

Ihnen: Better inside than outside, and improving. Put on some more weight, young fella.

Mitchell: Did they even give him a uniform this year?

You know who the Gophers need? They need a star. Just one. They need an entrée for this dinner. Otherwise, it’s just five helpings of salad.
In order to be a top team you need a star but in order to be a solid team, a tourney team, you can get by with having 3-5 really quality pieces that play well together and avoid bench.

Tubby’s teams never had a star, no one ever averaged 15+ but they often had several solid pieces and were able to make the tourney 3 times.

Top Bottom