Is lack of recruiting news concerning to anyone else?

aarons41

Reaction score
The lack of news or updates from rivals or scout seems much less then previous years. I am either starting to get nervous about the class this year or I am rethinking my membership. Either way I wish I could hear more.

The lack of news or updates from rivals or scout seems much less then previous years. I am either starting to get nervous about the class this year or I am rethinking my membership. Either way I wish I could hear more.

This is going to be a pretty small class again, I think if you look at who they've got coming in for official visits you can get an idea of potential commits.
Guys like Khari Blasingame, Deron Thompson, Everett Williams, Julien Kafo, a few others.
They are also likely waiting on Ragnow and maybe some other in staters to show what they can do over a senior year.
No inside knowledge, but it seems like this staff hits on most of their officials.

It is strangely quiet. We have some visits this weekend and a very large group for Iowa. I'm hoping Ragnow pulls the trigger this weekend and we get a " solid " commitment from Jeff Jones. I look for some late activity on Juco's at the DT,WR and LB. between now and the end of the Iowa game we should get 3-4 commitments.

Not worried about no news; the early commits commit early, those who don't (often waiting to see if their top schools take them) don't. The Gophers don't have a huge class yet (and you can worry about that) but now that the season has started kids will start to commit, either because they like the Gophers or because they didn't get the offer they hoped for.

Agree with the others that it probably isn't anything worth worrying about but it does seem to be really quiet for this time of year on the recruiting front.

Agree with the others also. Probably the best thing we can do when it comes to recruiting right now is win some more games and have some successful visits. It always seems like a poker game between the coaches and the recruits. As a fan it is really difficult to know what is really going on.

...the early commits commit early...

hey norsk...where did you get this inside info? Are you certain the early commits commit early? I hadn't thought of this before...
You must be some sort of an insider...:clap:

Sorry norsk...just had to bust your chops a bit...:p

Bringing them all in for the Iowa game is a good move. First, you've got a group which always seems to make those wavering pull the trigger. Plus it's Iowa; I'm hoping we'll be 4-0 coming in and return Floyd to it's rightful owners. Nothing more exciting than that. Two of my favorite games at the bank were Iowa.

The only thing that is a bit un-nerving to me is the fact that we're bringing in 3 more RBs. Could we be looking to convert them to WR or are we looking for a backup plan for Jones??

Bringing them all in for the Iowa game is a good move. First, you've got a group which always seems to make those wavering pull the trigger. Plus it's Iowa; I'm hoping we'll be 4-0 coming in and return Floyd to it's rightful owners. Nothing more exciting than that. Two of my favorite games at the bank were Iowa.

The only thing that is a bit un-nerving to me is the fact that we're bringing in 3 more RBs. Could we be looking to convert them to WR or are we looking for a backup plan for Jones??[/QUOTE]

High School Running Backs and QB's tend to be the best athletes so there certainly could be some looking at guys for other positions. That being said nothing is set in stone with Jones until the day he signs on the dotted line so the coaches are smart keeping options open with other guys. I would not view it is any sort of reflection on how the recruiting of Jones is going simply based on the fact they are looking at other RB.

It also helps to put the pressure on him a bit.

Its a big recruiting weekend this weekend, a lot of news should be coming out with some big time guys on campus

being quiet now doesn't concern me, but if we beat iowa soundly (just not by a fluke or something) and the crowd is into it, and we still have no commits, then i'll become scared. nothing concerning as of now

It looks like JK is not hedging his bets on any one signee in particular. If one recruit falls through, he has the next man up on his list. This recruiting class is not very large from what I am hearing. Does anyone have inkling of how many schollies are left?

It looks like JK is not hedging his bets on any one signee in particular. If one recruit falls through, he has the next man up on his list. This recruiting class is not very large from what I am hearing. Does anyone have inkling of how many schollies are left?

This is always a guess because of transfers, suspensions, walk on scholarships etc. but we should have at least 9 more available and maybe as many as 11 or 12.

It looks like JK is not hedging his bets on any one signee in particular. If one recruit falls through, he has the next man up on his list.

In other words he IS hedging his bets.

Top Bottom