Is it time to lower the Barn?

My misgivings about building a modern replica: we would never get the same intimacy and character we have in the current building. Modern architects and engineers don't seem capable or inclined to build a human scale. Architects talk about human scale all the time, but do they ever achieve it? Engineers don't seem aware of or interested in the concept.

OK, time for me to float my wacky idea.

Replace the State Fair Grandstand with a new indoor arena.

the arena can be used for State Fair Concerts, special events - and serve as the home of Gopher Basketball. lots of parking available on the grounds. getting to and from games would not be any worse, and might be better, then the current situation on the U of MN campus.

work out the financing between the Fair board, the U of MN, and the various city/county officials.
Where do they put the sprint car races?😀

My misgivings about building a modern replica: we would never get the same intimacy and character we have in the current building. Modern architects and engineers don't seem capable or inclined to build a human scale. Architects talk about human scale all the time, but do they ever achieve it? Engineers don't seem aware of or interested in the concept.
Biggest issue is the second deck. Our seats on the second deck second row are ideal. No way that would ever be replicated. My guess is max capacity in a new arena would be 10,000 which may make the environment more intimate than most newer arenas. Maybe the smaller space alleviates my fear. But probably not.

Biggest issue is the second deck. Our seats on the second deck second row are ideal. No way that would ever be replicated. My guess is max capacity in a new arena would be 10,000 which may make the environment more intimate than most newer arenas. Maybe the smaller space alleviates my fear. But probably not.
9-10k seats would be ideal

While this is interesting to talk about, the advent of NIL changes priorities. Recruits/transfers are going to consider that above all else. That's where the money goes for the foreseeable future unless the fire marshall is going to condemn the place.
Not all money is equal though. Probably a lot of donors more open to building sponsorship than the NIL which still feels unseemly to many.

Not all money is equal though. Probably a lot of donors more open to building sponsorship than the NIL which still feels unseemly to many.
Possibly. But my main point is that recruits will be way more attracted by NIL money than a new arena. It's the new table stakes - can't get in the game without it.

Marquette plays in the Bucks arena and playing there has not hurt attendance or recruiting.
WI no longer plays in the field house and has done well in the Kohl Center.
The Barn has some nostalgic charm but is a dump.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't even built for this purpose. Wasn't it first built as an indoor football practice facility? And hasn't it literally been falling apart since the 1950s (when an exterior wall collapsed)? I mean, you can legitimately argue that it's been a temporary home for these sports since the building was repurposed for them how many years ago.

On the other hand, it's a very nice home as temporary homes go. Not great, but they've made it into a good competition space with all the improvements over the years. They could probably preserve that building indefinitely and continue to refine and renew it. It's certainly eligible for the National Register; is it on it?

One way or another, the current building within its constraints cannot be expanded or modified to provide the amenities that fans have at other venues. In order to realize that, you'd have to reroute streets and do things to the building that would render it unrecognizable, at least from the outside. If that kind of fan experience is considered essential, then it IS time to move on. If us fans can tolerate things the way they are, we have other societal needs.

I was recently told that program insiders consider the building a major recruiting disadvantage--that today's recruits look at that old building and roll their eyes. I'm not going to dismiss that assertion out of hand, but it's reasonble to be skeptical. We swallowed what the Twins said, hook, line and sinker: that if we built them a new stadium, that it would translate to better players and more wins. I believe they have a losing record since they moved into Target Field, and of course, they haven't won even one single playoff game since occupying the building.
The Centennial Celebration should kick off a massive fundraiser to spruce it up and have a special opponent for the first home game - St. Thomas? Push back the tip by 45 minutes and have all the greats there for a amazing tribute culminating with raising the Banner for the Final Four Team - purgatory is over!

Isn’t Q still involved with the U in some capacity? Hire him to de the “face/voice” of the fundraising effort and give cool perks for those who can and do dig deep!

I think we had one of these 2 years ago and they pop up every few years.

Last edited:

Personally, I can’t believe that that Days Inn is still standing.
LOL. My ol frat Theta Tau is right there on 10th Street. I was there in the 90's. We used to have the biggest parties on campus...20-33 kegs all inside the house. Not to advocate that, but....

Anyone remember that? I own the only existing original flyer from Toad Jam #1 (1977).

we aren't just figuring out basketball, but volleyball and wrestling too. Which means at least two and possibly three different venues.

Volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics would simply have to play games/matches in the new venue.

And right now, volleyball is drawing bigger crowds than WBB every night and drawing bigger crowds than MBB on some nights.

So Butlers Hinkle field house is great but the Barn sucks. Oh ok.
What do they have for fan and player amenities? I think that's one of the keys here if not the main thing. The Barn's competition space is fine, I think, but the hodgepodge of facilities and services--with none on the second level--is an oddity and inadequacy.

What do they have for fan and player amenities? I think that's one of the keys here if not the main thing. The Barn's competition space is fine, I think, but the hodgepodge of facilities and services--with none on the second level--is an oddity and inadequacy.
You take the tunnel to all of the other sports facilities.

LOL. My ol frat Theta Tau is right there on 10th Street. I was there in the 90's. We used to have the biggest parties on campus...20-33 kegs all inside the house. Not to advocate that, but....

Anyone remember that? I own the only existing original flyer from Toad Jam #1 (1977).
Thanks for sharing Frank

Yeah late Friday night, I veered a little off topic with a post.

But is it so much worse than reading another post trashing Coach Johnson?
Nothing to apologize for and I was just joking around.

I’m here for jockularity

Last edited:

I would rebuild a modern replica and by modern replica I just mean raised floor and similar ceiling.

Bring everything else into the 21st century.

Maybe if the Sanford and Fairview hospital merger is approved T. Denny Sanford would be inclined to build us a new arena! Level Williams and build on the site.

If they end up building a new arena, I think they shouldn't try to replicate anything significant from Williams Arena. Just build a modern arena with whatever bells and whistles they can get for the money.

If they end up building a new arena, I think they shouldn't try to replicate anything significant from Williams Arena. Just build a modern arena with whatever bells and whistles they can get for the money.
I’d like a second deck that isn’t a mile away from the floor. Modern arenas don’t typically do that.

Is it time to lower the Barn?​

Sure, when someone has convinced me that the interior cannot just be modernized. If you can reasonably update the current building/exterior then why are we talking about it?

I, for one, would love to see an extra 25% of room for every seat. How awesome would it be to have a bigger seat and a little more legroom - and a premium experience?

Top Bottom