Is it possible to salvage the season?

Oneoldgopher

Reaction score
Which players will get the team to focus on winning and not dancing midfield after an average play. No need to dance until the game is won. There is no time for dancing when the opposition still has the ball and is driving down the field. It was time to prepare for the next play and the players were chest bumping. What is more fun, chest bumping while losing or winning the game? Shows a lack of disciplined thought on the part of the players and a lack of leadership on the sidelines for not having a culture of champions. How players conduct themselves matters. There is a clear separation right now between the behavior of players and their attitudes. Where are the coaches during the game demanding discipline?

Which players will get the team to focus on winning and not dancing midfield after an average play. No need to dance until the game is won. There is no time for dancing when the opposition still has the ball and is driving down the field. It was time to prepare for the next play and the players were chest bumping. What is more fun, chest bumping while losing or winning the game? Shows a lack of disciplined thought on the part of the players and a lack of leadership on the sidelines for not having a culture of champions. How players conduct themselves matters. There is a clear separation right now between the behavior of players and their attitudes. Where are the coaches during the game demanding discipline?

http://purdue.rivals.com/schedule.asp?Team=PURDUE&year=2009 Yes. Exhibit A at the link.

Sorry, I needed to wake myself up. Nice point. On topic. Quite obvious. Skol.

Sure it is. Beat three of the following - USC, Iowa, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin and beat Ill, NW, and NI and you end up with a good season. No one will even be thinking about the loss yesterday if they beat USC next week.

Do I think its likely, no way.

We'll see. I didn't get a chance to see the game, but from the numbers it looked like Weber didn't play all that poorly. There seems to be a lot of venom directed his way. A team really should be able to win after scoring 38 points IMO. How does the team respond this week, can they pull a Kansas?

Sure it is. Beat three of the following - USC, Iowa, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin and beat Ill, NW, and NI and you end up with a good season. No one will even be thinking about the loss yesterday if they beat USC next week.

Likely, maybe not. Possible, certainly.

Positive attitude and mental approach is necessary for W. You can't W or L on talent alone.

Of course!

And it's possible Hannah Storm might start replying to my letters, which started in 7th grade.

Win baby Win!!!

We can analyze this thing to death but it's all about winning ball games whether it's SD or Ohio St. you need to WIN! One of the excuses I'm getting tired of is they have a tough schedule, SO WHAT! If Brewster is going to come in and on the 1st day on the job 4 yrs. ago and start talking about Rose Bowl and Big Ten championships then do it and quit losing to teams like SD and showing that you haven't even turned the corner yet and not showing that you can be competitive on a regular basis. If Brewster gets fired, whenever that is, and we don't get someone that can run this program and put it to the next level, new AD, Head Coach or whatever we will continue down this road forever. We have got to stay away from these guys that have the potential to be a good head coach and get someone who has proved it at the college level. Some of you have said the U doesn't have the resources to do that, money etc. I don't care what the excuse is that is what has to happen or things will never change.

The shine is already off

There can be no step forward with this team this year. I don't see it happening. They have already established that they can be inconsistent. This game was the cupcake, it was the outlier that gave us the highest probability of winning. The opportunity for success declines from here. After a B+ effort last week (I withhold the A because the passing game was acceptable, but not stellar), the team handed in the F. That is a very wide upper and lower control limit that is about to emerge.

One team captain can not be expected to carry the team on his shoulders. He is wounded. Another captain is reported to have dropped the f-bomb to the crowd. The team leaders are not in great shape. I can't think of the player who can truly fill the leader role. The informal leaders will have to step up and take charge and get the rank and file to toe the line, while the team captains get their act together.

Until we're mathematically eliminated from being bowl-eligilble, the season can be salvaged. It's not like we're tOSU or another powerhouse team where one loss has drastic implications for the national championship mix. Our goals for the season are not as lofty and because of that we can absorb one or two more more bad losses than other programs.

The big question to me is whether yesterday's performance represents growing pains for an inexperienced D or if it is a sign of more serious structural problems that tougher competition will exploit even more than USD did.

Explained above but in particular, L to NIU in mid Sept but later W over Ohio St and Mich (OTR).

There's 2 L's in WALLOW but only 1 W. Don't wallow in it. Move on.

Actually, there are two W's. Wallow literally begins and ends with W.

Being competative is not enough

"showing that you haven't even turned the corner yet and not showing that you can be competitive on a regular basis"

The corner marker of being competative has long been passed. The Standard that needs to be met now is winning on a regular basis. Winning two weeks in a row is a start to meeting that standard.

There are limited opportunities to do that on this schedule; and having won the first game, Brewster and crew messed up the best opportunity to accomplish that so far. Let's hope that it is not the only opportunity this season.

This is a good thing overall....

I was an ardent supporter of Brewster's and still am.

But the loss yesterday was not acceptable in any year.

He either has to have a breakthrough year (8-4, or 7-5) with 5 wins in big ten play....4 wins depends on who we beat.....OR he is done.

WHich means 1 year closer to the Rose Bowl with someone else.

I have always loved how he embraces our tradition, sells the U, believes we can win here....but it is about Ws at D1 level.

Go Gophers...beat USC!

GM

p.s. I'm still looking forward to my 1st trip to TCF for homecoming.

Good point...all of that other stuff is meaningless unless you win games. i'd take a guy who is invisible and non existent vs brew's style if we were winning 9 or 10 games a year and playing in Jan.

Of course there can be redemption. I'm not quite sure how that's suppose to happen. But yes it can happen. I guess, we have to see if we can make a game out of it next week. But how the hell are we suppose to stop USC if we couldn't stop the coyotes?

Of course there can be redemption. I'm not quite sure how that's suppose to happen. But yes it can happen. I guess, we have to see if we can make a game out of it next week. But how the hell are we suppose to stop USC if we couldn't stop the coyotes?

Same way Purdue stopped Ohio St last October after they couldn't stop NIU in September.

PLAY BETTER.

Never say never, but any chance of going bowling ended yesterday.

Until we're mathematically eliminated from being bowl-eligilble, the season can be salvaged. It's not like we're tOSU or another powerhouse team where one loss has drastic implications for the national championship mix. Our goals for the season are not as lofty and because of that we can absorb one or two more more bad losses than other programs.

The big question to me is whether yesterday's performance represents growing pains for an inexperienced D or if it is a sign of more serious structural problems that tougher competition will exploit even more than USD did.

I appreciate the attempt at being rationale instead of the hysteria that's all over the board, but this game yesterday really sucked the life out of the program yesterday. Yes, it's possible we could beat USC next week and fans will at least come off the ledge. It's probably more likely we'll get trashed; the team will be in for even more ridicule; fans will start really staying away; and Iowa gold and Wisconsin red will start dominating the crowd just like at the dome. Any boost the new stadium will have pretty much disappeared, and we start all over again. With this loss yesterday, that game next week becomes very crucial IMO. We can't afford to get blown out in terms of the program.

I think your second point starts to get at why yesterday depressed me so much. The rationale for sticking with Brewster has been that he's improving the talent, and we've got to be patient until he gets his own players in there. Frankly, I didn't see that much difference in talent yesterday. On offense, our line was more dominant but hardly over-powering. How long has it been since one of our backs totally broke a long run? Other than Gray, I would take their number 17 over any of our other receivers. On defense, yes there were some real blunders. However, we had almost no pass rush. Also, their touchdowns came on medium and long yardage plays. We don't have the speed to pass rush, and we don't have the speed in the secondary to make plays. That's why I really question the upgrade in talent line that I had pretty much boughten into. Watching their QB on that bootleg touchdown was a flashback to watching the NDSU back pull away from our DB several years ago. Same thought, "Damn, we're slower than a team from South Dakota." Lots of comments about missed tackles. To me that's another indication of talent. You don't tackle when you're scared. (Don't think that's the case) When you have poor technique. (Undoubtedly some of the time) Or when you're not as fast, as quick, or as strong as the other guy. (Hope not, but I'm afraid that's some of it)

Hopefully, I'm wrong about the talent level, and the game yesterday was mostly a tribute to bad coaching. As weird as it sounds, my outlook for the rest of the season will then brighten. You'd think a bunch of guys devoting their careers to football could then fix some of what we saw yesterday. The team will be ready to play with intensity; we won't get procedural penalties; we will make defensive adjustments on plays that keep burning us; we won't see any more Jeddesque calls like the pitch play to Bennett on short yardage; our return men will head up field instead of running sideways; we won't give up long yardage on screen plays when we blitz; and we'll defend a bootleg. Then again, these things shouldn't have happened yesterday so why think they're going to be fixed?

Personally, if we beat 2 of USC, Iowa, OSU, and Wisky I would be ecstatic. We have never won any of these games in Brew's tenure so two in one season would be off the charts. Follow that up with 3 wins against ANYBODY else and we are 6-6 with wins against two big time programs. Not a great season but one I would be satisfied with.

Personally, if we beat 2 of USC, Iowa, OSU, and Wisky I would be ecstatic. We have never won any of these games in Brew's tenure so two in one season would be off the charts. Follow that up with 3 wins against ANYBODY else and we are 6-6 with wins against two big time programs. Not a great season but one I would be satisfied with.

Right. And I'd be satisfied if I won the lottery.

Sure its possible.

Michigan started 2007 at 0-2 including an embarrassing loss to Appalachian State that nobody thought they'd recover from - and they went on to win the Capitol One Bowl.

Now, I'm not saying we're Michigan or that Brewster is Lloyd Carr or that USD is Appy State. But clearly it is possible to salvage a poor start to a season.

Speed kills both ways

I saw on a couple of defensive plays where the backs over-ran their coverage on simple shoulder jukes fooled them. Too often the rest of the secondary was far off the final receiver putting us on man-to-man coverage. Where were the nickle and dime adjustments from the coaches. The defense was watching the sidelines so much that it is apparent that they are not able to call the defensive sets themselves. Their receivers weren't fast, they just simply used our speed against us.

Top Bottom