Is Craig Smith the PJ Fleck of basketball coaches?

MennoSota

Reaction score
I just saw Utah State come back from a 19 point deficit to beat LSU.
First off, he kind of looks like Fleck. Second, in the post game interview he said he tells the players to "Keep Choppin' Wood."
I think we have our next coaching hire by Coyle and it's Craig Smith.
10200943.jpeg

I second this! I watched a few games they played last year, and he runs a solid program, has a connection to MN, I say why not. I seem to have lost Coyle's direct cell phone number, could some one please contact Coyle about gopher fans wanting Craig Smith now!

If Coyle were to follow landing Fleck by landing Smith, I think you start figuring out which building you’re going to name after him. A lot has to play out but at least putting out feelers/making a run at him almost seems like a no brainer with his upper Midwest roots. Don’t see Pitino having a year on the court or a situation in recruiting that makes him unfireable. Smith’ll be one to keep an eye on.

First off, he kind of looks like Fleck. Second, in the post game interview he said he tells the players to "Keep Choppin' Wood."
View attachment 6547
Yes please.

View attachment 6547
I love Craig Smith and think he does a great job. Like seeing him do it for more than one year and he won at USD which isn’t easy. Fleck and him are different just like football and basketball are different. I love the book “chop wood carry water” by Joshua Metcalf and think it’s a great culture to instill. I also think it’s a similar message our kids are getting now. Pitino didn’t do this earlier and he’s paying for it now (rightfully so)

When I’ve got wood, I let others do the chopping.

Agree with this 100%. Would be a great hire. Have no idea if that's a possibility.

I suppose Coyle could insult him by offering a lot of money.

We should also mention that Utah State is off to a good start despite not having their soph center, Neemias Queta, who is considered one of the better big men in the country this year.

Right, so also an NDSU, Colorado St, and Nebraska guy.

View attachment 6547
I don't really have much of an opinion on Smith - based on what little I know of him, he has produced results, he has earned everything he's accomplished, and he'd most definitely be an upgrade over Pitino. I mostly just wanted to say that he looks absolutely nothing like Fleck.

Has the mob already turned their back on Pitino? Its nice to prognosticate, grass is always greener, but our guy beat Louisville in the tournament last year. Slow start so far this year, maybe he will get the boys primed up for a dark horse B1G campaign.

You said wood!
tenor.gif

Top Bottom