Is Carr the best gopher this decade?

There is no way you would take Hollins over Hoffarber to nail a three point attempt.

Hoffarber would be an awesome SG combined with Carr!

I take Hollins 100% to be my starting SG/PG in that lineup. Mason ahead of Hoffarber as well. And I’m a huge Hoffarber fan.

I take Hollins 100% to be my starting SG/PG in that lineup. Mason ahead of Hoffarber as well. And I’m a huge Hoffarber fan.
Agreed. Blake was a really good player for us, but the Minnesota bias is strong here. No way I’d take him before Andre.

Carr is the most clutch Gopher of the decade and possibly my lifetime. Oturu is the best player of at least the last 10 years.

Agreed. Blake was a really good player for us, but the Minnesota bias is strong here. No way I’d take him before Andre.

If you gave Blake the looks Gabe gets..........man, I agree he isn't better than Hollins but he may average 18pts per game and never step inside the 3 point line

By the strict definition, decades run from a year ending in 1 to a year ending in 0 (Why? Because there was no 0th year). That means we are still in the 2011-2020 decade and in a few days will get to ring in the new decade.

You aren't born at one year old, you live for a year before you're one (effective everyone's 0th year). So why would civilization begin at one instead of a 0th year? Not arguing, just always curious about this rationale.

Not yet, but he definitely is the most skilled and NBA ready looking player we have had this decade. He's clutch as can be. I think he's made 4 crucial late end of half/end of game 3's already. The shot against Iowa was YUGE! Let's see how this team continues to progress throughout the season. He's already balled out in every BIG game besides Illinois (and that wasn't too bad). If we can make a Sweet 16 run this season he will be the best Gopher of the decade.

I think the all decade team of 13 scholarship players would like

PG: Mason, Andre, Nolen
SG: Carr, Austin Hollins
SF: Coffey, Hoffarber
PF: Murphy, Mbakwe, Damian Johnson
C: Oturu, Lynch, Robbins

PWO: Travis Busch and Stefon Sharp.

The starting lineup is easy as is the two backup bigs of Lynch and Mbakwe. The backup backcourt is trickier as you also have guys like Westbrook and Gach you could make a case for. You could have Nolen and Damian ahead of Hoffarber and Andre if you want defense over shooting.

I was thinking to myself about this. I'd say if he continues to play the way he has though the first 9 games, I'd rather have Carr on my team over Oturu, Murphy, Mason, Coffey, Mbakwe, Hollins or Lynch.

I know Oturu put up monster numbers last year but it just seems like Carr this year has a bigger impact on the game and bigger impact on winning than Oturu did last year and Carr can just completely take over a game in crunch time like no one else could.

Thoughts?

Guards rule college basketball, so yes he is much more important to a team than Oturo or Murphy were.
Great players, all of them. But being the lead guard that can score, distribute, facilitate and make free throws makes Marcus if not the best, certainly the most valuable player that Richard Pitino has had on any of his rosters.

Guards rule college basketball, so yes he is much more important to a team than Oturo or Murphy were.
Great players, all of them. But being the lead guard that can score, distribute, facilitate and make free throws makes Marcus if not the best, certainly the most valuable player that Richard Pitino has had on any of his rosters.
I agree. By the end of the 2018-19 season, Although most would say Murphy was more productive due to his rebounding numbers, it felt like Coffey was better and the more valuable player because he was the primary ball handler and the #1 scoring option and that just felt more valuable than the rebounds and hustle plays Murphy gave us.

There is no way you would take Hollins over Hoffarber to nail a three point attempt.

Hoffarber would be an awesome SG combined with Carr!

On the flip side, which one would you take if you needed a defensive stop to win the game? I'm gonna be honest that I did not see enough games with them on the team to know which was a more capable defender.

He might be the best, yet I still think we need a full season out of him to decide that question. But in terms of his value, it is through the roof compared to some incredibly talented former Gophers. Mainly because he is a guard and has a (well-deserved) green light.

Forwards and centers generally have a harder time taking over a game consistently. The Garzas and Oturus of the world are very impressive but they can be limited severely with the right defensive scheme and they rely on others to get them the ball.

Carr is so valuable because he can score almost at will. Think about all those Gopher games where we have 5 minute (or longer) scoring droughts. That just doesn't happen when you have a player like Carr. Kind of reminds me of Bobby Jackson who had the second gear.

Oturu and Coffey have so much talent. I wish Carr would have been eligible that first year he was here to see him play with these two.

But the best player we have had in my opinion the last ten years was Murphy. He was a rebounding machine

Carr is the best all around offensive player the Gophers have had in the last 10 years. He's not that great on defense. He won't contribute as much overall to the program as someone like Murphy because he likely will only be here for two years. However, he is making an enormous impact this year and if the Gophers go on to have a great season he will be the #1 reason why.

In comparing his impact on the current team to some historical figures, I think of the following:

1) The senior year Scott Skiles with Michigan State (1985-86) - Mich State wasn't the powerhouse then that they have been this century but as long as State had him that year they were never out of a game; he gave the league fits all season.

2) Allen Iverson with the turn-of-the-century Sixers - Larry Brown surrounded Iverson with a group of blue collar supporting players and that worked better than any other combination of his career.

I know this has been mentioned before in previous threads, but I’m still just so bummed the NCAA screwed Carr into sitting out a year every time I watch him play. A team with Murphy, Amir, Carr, Oturu and McBrayer could of made some noise.

As others have noted, a Guard - especially a PG - is going to have the ball more and likely have more opportunities to influence a game.

so, from that viewpoint, Carr looks good.

I'll still take Murphy. He is definitely one of my all-time favorite Gophers, based as much on attitude and hustle as on raw talent.

Carr is having a heck of a year - no doubt. Let's see how the year plays out. by the end of the season, my opinion may change.

I would take Oturu before I take Murphy. Murphy doesn't really do anything clearly better than Oturu, scoring, rebounding or post defense. I might take Mason ahead of Murphy as well but its close.

BTW I'm not taking longevity into account when I ask this question, I'm more thinking in each's best year or final year, who would you take.

On the flip side, which one would you take if you needed a defensive stop to win the game? I'm gonna be honest that I did not see enough games with them on the team to know which was a more capable defender.
Hoffarber was no great defender. But Andre was not even the best Hollins at defense. That would be Austin.

So yeah, Call timeout after you score and take out Carr and Hoffarber, insert the Hollins Twins for defense. But this isn't the NBA and you don't get all the timeouts in the world.

Definitely would want Dre and Hoffarber in for the end of game Free Throw trot though!

Top Bottom