Is Carr the best gopher this decade?

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I was thinking to myself about this. I'd say if he continues to play the way he has though the first 9 games, I'd rather have Carr on my team over Oturu, Murphy, Mason, Coffey, Mbakwe, Hollins or Lynch.

I know Oturu put up monster numbers last year but it just seems like Carr this year has a bigger impact on the game and bigger impact on winning than Oturu did last year and Carr can just completely take over a game in crunch time like no one else could.

Thoughts?

I was thinking to myself about this. I'd say if he continues to play the way he has though the first 9 games, I'd rather have Carr on my team over Oturu, Murphy, Mason, Coffey, Mbakwe, Hollins or Lynch.

I know Oturu put up monster numbers last year but it just seems like Carr this year has a bigger impact on the game and bigger impact on winning than Oturu did last year and Carr can just completely take over a game in crunch time like no one else could.

Thoughts?
Awesome question. Love Carr but i will go with Murph for more than his great production. The time he put in, the effort. The staying with it when it was really,really tough.

I'm inclined to agree, but I'd like to see a couple of more completive B1G games before I jump on this Island.

I'd agree with you. I feel like he has already hit more clutch shots than the others and he definitely scores and assists at a higher level than them too. Murphy was obviously a prolific rebounder and could get his points too, but he was much more limited on creating his own shots.

Carr is starting to give me Bobby Jackson vibes. Obviously Bobby had more team success winning, but he also had a quite stellar supporting cast. Carr is STILL hitting big shots even when it's obvious he will be taking them.

Carr belongs in the discussion but for me it is still Murphy at this point. However if Carr keeps this up all season he might jump to the top spot at some point.

Mbakwe seems like a lot longer ago. And doesn't that bring Hoffarber into the discussion?

A quick check and yes, it does. the 2010-11 team had Nolen, Hoffarber, Williams, Mbawkwe, Sampson and the Hollins brothers.

So, If I'm putting together my starting five for the past ten years:

PG: Carr
SG: Hoffarber
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

Limiting myself to ten players here is the bench:
Hollins, Williams, Lynch, Mbakwe, Hollins

That would be sick! Imagine Hoffarber being the recipient of all the wide open looks Gabe has been getting! He may be the leading scorer on this team!

As for who's the Alpha of the lot? Probably Coffey, he was unstoppable against huge odds when he went 1 on 5. I don't think Carr can do that like Amir could.

Oturu would probably be the best talent. Would love to watch practices between Murphy and Mbakwe! The boxouts would be shear dogfights!

Last edited:

This decade started less than a year ago so depends if you split the play based on when it happened.

Mbakwe seems like a lot longer ago. And doesn't that bring Hoffarber into the discussion?
I was thinking 2010 until now. Or from Tubby's second year, I think that was 09-10 when we beat Louisville and lost to Texas in the first round of the NCAA's. Or maybe it was Xavier. From that year until today.

TBH I don't really think Hoffarber, Mbakwe or any other Tubby player can be seriously considered for the top player this decade. Carr, Mason, Murphy, Oturu are all better any player Tubby ever had here and Coffey as a junior was about equal to Mbakwe's RS junior year.

Last edited:

I’d take Murphy and oturu before carr all else being equal. But I would take carr because it’s much more valuable to have a good primary ball handler than a good big IMO

I’d take Murphy and oturu before carr all else being equal. But I would take carr because it’s much more valuable to have a good primary ball handler than a good big IMO
Murphy would be the guy a coach would take first.

Oturu would be the guy an NBA guy would take first.

Carr and Coffey are the ones with the primary ball handler roles, set-up the offense, direct, pass and involve your teammates. Carr has better assist numbers than Coffey and Clutch!!!!

However, Coffey got better play out of Gabe. ;)

A quick check and yes, it does. the 2010-11 team had Nolen, Hoffarber, Williams, Mbawkwe, Sampson and the Hollins brothers.

So, If I'm putting together my starting five for the past ten years:

PG: Carr
SG: Hoffarber
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

Limiting myself to ten players here is the bench:
Hollins, Williams, Lynch, Mbakwe, Hollins

That would be sick! Imagine Hoffarber being the recipient of all the wide open looks Gabe has been getting! He may be the leading scorer on this team!

As for who's the Alpha of the lot? Probably Coffey, he was unstoppable against huge odds when he went 1 on 5. I don't think Carr can do that like Amir could.

Oturu would probably be the best talent. Would love to watch practices between Murphy and Mbakwe! The boxouts would be shear dogfights!
Great list ! Watching that replay of the defeat of IU was an amazing reminder of what a pure shooter Hoffarber was for that team. The huge difference a shooter like him would make this current team dangerous.

Too early to tell....but I'd say yes if he continues with his current play. Murphy is the obvious other one in my mind. But the big difference is that Carr being a ball handling guard....he's the one that takes the big shot in the final seconds.

This decade started less than a year ago so depends if you split the play based on when it happened.
By the strict definition, decades run from a year ending in 1 to a year ending in 0 (Why? Because there was no 0th year). That means we are still in the 2011-2020 decade and in a few days will get to ring in the new decade.

He's well on his way and his handle and quickness allows him IMO to get to where he wants most of the time unabated.

Yep - coin flip between Carr and Murph. The main difference is Carr is only giving you 2 years of production and Murphy gave you 4

I remember when Tubby was here, there were some observations that we always seemed to have a team full of role players and were always lacking in star power. Those BTN commercials (back when it always Big Ten Network, before it was commonly abbreviated to BTN) would say like “This Saturday night watch Evan Turner and the Buckeyes square off against Lawrence Westbrook and the Gophers” and I’d think “Is Lawrence Westbrook a star? I guess he’s the closest thing we have”. Andre Hollins and Trevor Mbakwe were probably the closest thing we had to a player who could go off and take over a game, and Mbakwe didn’t get to play until Tubby’s 4th year.

I remember Amir Coffey scoring 30 points as a freshman against St. John’s and we were asking ourselves “When was the last time we had a player score 30 in a game?” It seemed pretty rare before that. Even a 20 point individual performance was fairly uncommon. Andre Hollins had 41 that one time against Memphis.

Without looking it up, I’m almost certain Nate Mason, Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, Daniel Oturu, Marcus Carr, and even Gabe Kalscheur have all at least had 1 or 2 30 point games in their careers. Seeing someone score 30 is fairly common now. We’ve definitely had more star players in the Pitino era than when Tubby was here, so I don’t think it should be surprising that an all decade team is likely going to have more Pitino guys than Tubby guys. It’s tough to argue against Carr, Coffey, Murphy, and Oturu at the 1, 3, 4, and 5. Id probably take Andre Hollins over Hoffarber at 2 though, as I think he was a more versatile player.

This decade started almost 10 years ago. The new decade starts in a couple days.

This decade started almost 10 years ago. The new decade starts in a couple days.
I'll go with the majority of people because it makes more sense given how it's been used the last 100 years.

I remember when Tubby was here, there were some observations that we always seemed to have a team full of role players and were always lacking in star power. Those BTN commercials (back when it always Big Ten Network, before it was commonly abbreviated to BTN) would say like “This Saturday night watch Evan Turner and the Buckeyes square off against Lawrence Westbrook and the Gophers” and I’d think “Is Lawrence Westbrook a star? I guess he’s the closest thing we have”. Andre Hollins and Trevor Mbakwe were probably the closest thing we had to a player who could go off and take over a game, and Mbakwe didn’t get to play until Tubby’s 4th year.

I remember Amir Coffey scoring 30 points as a freshman against St. John’s and we were asking ourselves “When was the last time we had a player score 30 in a game?” It seemed pretty rare before that. Even a 20 point individual performance was fairly uncommon. Andre Hollins had 41 that one time against Memphis.

Without looking it up, I’m almost certain Nate Mason, Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, Daniel Oturu, Marcus Carr, and even Gabe Kalscheur have all at least had 1 or 2 30 point games in their careers. Seeing someone score 30 is fairly common now. We’ve definitely had more star players in the Pitino era than when Tubby was here, so I don’t think it should be surprising that an all decade team is likely going to have more Pitino guys than Tubby guys. It’s tough to argue against Carr, Coffey, Murphy, and Oturu at the 1, 3, 4, and 5. Id probably take Andre Hollins over Hoffarber at 2 though, as I think he was a more versatile player.
There is no way you would take Hollins over Hoffarber to nail a three point attempt.

Hoffarber would be an awesome SG combined with Carr!

I always think production x clutch plays.

I have watched gopher BB for 30 yrs. Besides Bobby J, there is no one else I want to take "the shot" than Marcus Carr. Heck, if it were 1997 bobby vs 2020 Carr, I feel like Marcus could manufacture a his own last second shot than even Bobby.

I know Marcus has clear deficiencies: turnovers, shoots a bit too much and too quickly, not enough ball rotations.

HOWEVER, I have not felt that anyone from MN has ever had the killer instinct to go for the throat and able to back it up and score from anywhere than Carr. Maybe coffee but he couldnt gey into the lane or with the ease that Marcus has nor 3pt shooting.

Carr and Mason would both start on the all decade team easily at the one and the two. I’d probably put Mason at the one since I feel like he turned it over less and wasn’t quite as reckless as Carr.

I always think production x clutch plays.

I have watched gopher BB for 30 yrs. Besides Bobby J, there is no one else I want to take "the shot" than Marcus Carr. Heck, if it were 1997 bobby vs 2020 Carr, I feel like Marcus could manufacture a his own last second shot than even Bobby.

I know Marcus has clear deficiencies: turnovers, shoots a bit too much and too quickly, not enough ball rotations.

HOWEVER, I have not felt that anyone from MN has ever had the killer instinct to go for the throat and able to back it up and score from anywhere than Carr. Maybe coffee but he couldnt gey into the lane or with the ease that Marcus has nor 3pt shooting.
Maybe you never saw Archie Clark, Lou Hudson, Ray Williams

By the strict definition, decades run from a year ending in 1 to a year ending in 0 (Why? Because there was no 0th year). That means we are still in the 2011-2020 decade and in a few days will get to ring in the new decade.
Not looking to pick a fight, a decade can be any defined 10 year period. The most commonly use when it comes to calendar years is those years that share the tens digit...so the Sixties are thought of from the start of 1960 to the end of 1969.

If Carr is as good throughout the year like he is starting it AND if we are at least an NCAA team- then yes.

Top Bottom