Is Carr a pro?

I am not sure Marcus is elite enough in enough areas. He is only 6-2, which isn't a plus. He is an average shooter by NBA standards, he is an average ball handler, he is a below average defender. He can get to the rim, but not at the rate in the NBA that he has in college. He cannot run the popular high ball screen/pick-and-roll very well, which you see in the NBA game a lot. He is probably not an NBA player.

Definitely can make good money playing 8-10 years overseas.
Yup, I'm not sure that he is an average shooter in the NBA? He is below average at post entry passing. His decisions are many times befuddling. Seems unlikely to me.
Seems pretty weak for some to blame Pitino for all of Carr's below average attributes.

Carr will play in Europe.

He seems to really work on his game but he seems to lack a natural feel for the game, at least in terms of distributing the ball and playing defense. Carr will make a nice living playing basketball, I just don't think it will be in the NBA.

Carr will play in Europe.

He seems to really work on his game but he seems to lack a natural feel for the game, at least in terms of distributing the ball and playing defense. Carr will make a nice living playing basketball, I just don't think it will be in the NBA.
Totally agree.

He looks like a G league player. Watch some G league and you'll be reminded of a B1G starter a few years back, there are quite a bit of them. Honestly I could see Gabe and Liam as G leaguers too

I think he’ll almost certainly get a summer camp invite from an NBA team, but end up overseas unless he balls out hard enough to get a G League spot.

Not true.
Allow me to elaborate more fully. He never played in a true off-ball guard role. Whenever he touched the ball, his job was to facilitate his own shot, not run through an offense that creates the shot for you (ie how Purdue plays their shooter or Duke used to play Redick). There is a role for this type of guard who gets the ball later in the shot clock and then tries to create, but again it relies on being ball dominant to create the shot (similar to what Miami did with Butler last year and they used a guy like Duncan Robinson or Tyler Herro as the off-ball guy who gets his shots via penetration or screens). We've never seen Carr get to play in that true role where he's getting his looks off of screens/motion/penetration to a large degree.

I think he has a good chance to sign a two way contract.

It’s a lot easier now to make an NBA roster than it was 5 years ago because of those.

That's a good point. I suppose the question could be framed two ways,

1. "Will he play at all in the NBA?"
2. "Will he play extensively and be in the rotation for an NBA team?"

There are a lot of marginal guys on NBA rosters so the likely answer to 1 is "Decent chance." The likely answer to 2 is "Probably not." He's a better college player than Jaylen Nowell was, but Nowell has more physicality and has one projectable skill (shooting). As I said in my earlier post, Carr looks to be a tweener in that he does a number of things at a B-to-B+ level, but he hasn't shown me an A-level skill.

Allow me to elaborate more fully. He never played in a true off-ball guard role. Whenever he touched the ball, his job was to facilitate his own shot, not run through an offense that creates the shot for you (ie how Purdue plays their shooter or Duke used to play Redick). There is a role for this type of guard who gets the ball later in the shot clock and then tries to create, but again it relies on being ball dominant to create the shot (similar to what Miami did with Butler last year and they used a guy like Duncan Robinson or Tyler Herro as the off-ball guy who gets his shots via penetration or screens). We've never seen Carr get to play in that true role where he's getting his looks off of screens/motion/penetration to a large degree.

Fair point, but I don't know that Carr is big enough or a good enough shooter to play that role in the NBA. Butler and Robinson are both 6'7" and Herro is 6'5". Carr is only 6'2" so he would likely be at a pretty significant size disadvantage in that role.

That's a good point. I suppose the question could be framed two ways,

1. "Will he play at all in the NBA?"
2. "Will he play extensively and be in the rotation for an NBA team?"

There are a lot of marginal guys on NBA rosters so the likely answer to 1 is "Decent chance." The likely answer to 2 is "Probably not." He's a better college player than Jaylen Nowell was, but Nowell has more physicality and has one projectable skill (shooting). As I said in my earlier post, Carr looks to be a tweener in that he does a number of things at a B-to-B+ level, but he hasn't shown me an A-level skill.

Pretty much right where I am at on him. I think he is good enough to get a shot at making it in the NBA but in all likelihood he ends up playing pro ball overseas.

Fair point, but I don't know that Carr is big enough or a good enough shooter to play that role in the NBA. Butler and Robinson are both 6'7" and Herro is 6'5". Carr is only 6'2" so he would likely be at a pretty significant size disadvantage in that role.
I agree and don't know either. Would lean towards likely not but he may put in the work and surprise/continue to get better

I believe I misread the question.

Is Carr a pro?

If we are paying him, why didn't we pay for some other players too?

Top Bottom