Is Carr a pro?

GopherPoke

Reaction score
I know most on here speculate that Carr is done after this year. I don't necessarily disagree. I'm wondering what Gopher Holers think about whether he should go pro or not (regardless of coaching situation). I'm not sure I think he's ready. He's our best player, easily, but is he pro material yet?

I'm pretty sure he could start in Rapid City.

I should have narrowed it a bit. I'm asking about NBA, as in, is he NBA material? I say no, but curious of about other thoughts. I just don't think he's that caliber of player on either side of the ball.

I should have narrowed it a bit. I'm asking about NBA, as in, is he NBA material? I say no, but curious of about other thoughts. I just don't think he's that caliber of player on either side of the ball.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on a G League team. He can clearly score and make big shots which the NBA will favor. He's small and plays garbage defense though.

Carr is a good player. Carr is a pro. Carr with a coach who would of held him accountable for his dribbling escapades and defensive lapses could have been even a better player. IMO Pitino gave Carr too much freedom seems like Pitino rolled the dice with that and it didn’t work out. I think Carr knew that and kept playing the way he wanted. No accountability.

I like Carr but think he could of been better with a better coach and Carr appears to be a tad stubborn and selfish.

Agreed, not NBA. Europe, yes.

He's ranked 28th in ppg. (20 ppg)
His FG% is not even in the top 50. (.406)

to me that says he relies on taking a lot of shots to score, I don't see an nba team looking for a PG who needs to shoot a lot in order to score a good avg..

He may get an NBA look and may even spend some time on a team, but I see him as a tweener. I don't think he's quick enough to play point in the NBA and he's not big enough or strong enough to play the 2. He'll likely carve out time in the G-League or Europe.

To an earlier poster, I don't necessarily see him as selfish. He's been asked to be both the scorer and distributor on this edition of the Gophers, so the ball is pretty much going to be in his hands. Granted, he casts up a few from a neighboring zip code and that's never a good look.

I won't say he'll never play in the NBA, but it's unlikely. He may get few G league looks or even 10 day contracts, I think he can however carve out a nice career oversees if that is what he wants to do

He may get an NBA look and may even spend some time on a team, but I see him as a tweener. I don't think he's quick enough to play point in the NBA and he's not big enough or strong enough to play the 2. He'll likely carve out time in the G-League or Europe.

To an earlier poster, I don't necessarily see him as selfish. He's been asked to be both the scorer and distributor on this edition of the Gophers, so the ball is pretty much going to be in his hands. Granted, he casts up a few from a neighboring zip code and that's never a good look.
He doesn’t play a style that’s conducive to playing a “role player” role on an nba team is his issue.
He isn’t a great off the ball player. He isn’t good enough on the ball to be an nba on the ball player

He doesn’t play a style that’s conducive to playing a “role player” role on an nba team is his issue.
He isn’t a great off the ball player. He isn’t good enough on the ball to be an nba on the ball player
if Troy Hudson can do it, Marcus Carr can do it

I think he might end up in the NBA but not likely right away. I could see him playing professionally elsewhere for a few years and ending up in the NBA on a short-term contract that might get extended to a longer term gig. A surprisingly fair number of players do end up in the league (at least briefly) this way.

Great example of someone who wasn't drafted but landed in the NBA as a free agent and stuck around a surprisingly long time. Even more surprising, he did it right out of Southern Illinois instead of playing professionally in a lower league for a few years in-between.

In bulgaria

If he wants to play at a high level, he's really going to have to get better vision and be able to finish over big athletes. I think he has all of the tools in the tool box, but i question that he knows how to use the tools

I had my doubts whether Voshon Lenard would play in the NBA, but he ended up having a nice career. But he found the right situation and worked on his game in order to fill a role. So I'm never going to say never about Carr. What I like is that he already has NBA range on his jump shot. He just needs to be able to defend a position. I feel like he has sufficient quickness and physicality, but he's got some work to do to up his game.

I think it's hard to say that, given Pitino never would play him off the ball.

Yep. I think Carr's game can adapt to the NBA. Odds are against him, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes it.

In fairness, the whole team stands around when off the ball. He's not alone.

He’ll be a journeyman pro. Overseas, G league, maybe 3rd string PG in nba.

Lacks court vision, defense and has limited finishing skills going left. Shot is good, but flat.

At 6'2" 195 pounds....Carr is too small to play SG. And as a first option (NCAA) scorer with average ball handling skills....he doesn't really have the skill set right now to clock minutes in the NBA. He could develop however. Much like with Coffey.....an extra season could do him well. Coffey was never going to play point in the NBA like he did in his last year here at Minnesota. Playing off the ball his next year could have possibly been good for him. Carr is in a completely different boat. Coffey would have had a chance to develop in a role more suited to him if he had stayed. Carr could have a chance to hone his skills under a different coach. The question of whether Pitino had any ability to develop players has leaned towards the negative. Maybe a new coach could help Carr to prep.

Agree with most that say there is a pro career out there for Carr after he leaves the U but it probably isn't in the NBA. He is clearly a very talented player but I don't think his style of play will translate over to the NBA.

You never know though. He will get a shot to prove himslef one way or another and maybe he finds a way to get on a roster.

I am not sure Marcus is elite enough in enough areas. He is only 6-2, which isn't a plus. He is an average shooter by NBA standards, he is an average ball handler, he is a below average defender. He can get to the rim, but not at the rate in the NBA that he has in college. He cannot run the popular high ball screen/pick-and-roll very well, which you see in the NBA game a lot. He is probably not an NBA player.

Definitely can make good money playing 8-10 years overseas.

Top Bottom