Is Brew's South Dakota Like Mason's Texas Tech?

Honyocker

Gophers-In Good or Bad Times
Reaction score
Granted, one is an early season game and the other was a season ending bowl game. But is the impact similar? Brew might be able to recover, but if he ends the season under .500 and no bowl game, I think he might be done.

Both were dead men walking after those losses. Mason was on life support for 48-72 hours. We'll see how long Brewster lasts.

At least Texas Tech was a program on the rise (at least for a couple years). USD got beat by 30 the week before by Central Florida....

Most the time I'm against firing a coach during the season - but Brewster needs to go. Problem is - who do we have in the coaching staff that could take over for the rest of the year?

Most the time I'm against firing a coach during the season - but Brewster needs to go. Problem is - who do we have in the coaching staff that could take over for the rest of the year?

Horton was a head coach at Nevada and UNLV, so he would probably be the interim coach. It's a moot point though, since, barring a player mutiny, they won't be making any moves until the end of the year.

Probably.

I just hope we time the firing of coach Brew better than the Mason firing. And we can't possibly let the person who picked Brewster have any say in the hiring of our next coach. If we allow Joel to have any input in the new hire, whats the point of even making a change?

To all of those who think they know everything about Glen Mason and his firing it was a lot about Mason's attititude.

After the Gophers lost to TT and blowing a big lead he was smiling in the locker room when Joe Maturi and President BB walked in. When you pay a coach $1.6 Million a year with a new extension you would hope he would be a little upset. I am sure he was wondering where his next job interview was coming from.

Yesterday Coach Brewster was upset about the loss and unlike Mason he took phone calls today on Sid's show. Mason would not take calls after a loss. How soon we forget that he should have lost to NDSU except for a blocked field goal. Mason had a history of losing games after a big win such as Indiana after beating OSU and others. Who can forget the michigan, nw and sconnie losses.

My point-we have a coach who cares about the "U" unlike mason. Give him a chance to finish the job.

We have a Coach who can't coach...plain & simple...

Horton was a head coach at Nevada and UNLV, so he would probably be the interim coach. It's a moot point though, since, barring a player mutiny, they won't be making any moves until the end of the year.

The only thing that could possibly change that is if the losses keep mounting and Brewster refuses to take Weber out of the lineup. Maturi is probably too big of a pussy to get involved and make some demands about playing (even more) young players like Gray, but if he did and Brewster refused, that could lead to it being done during the season.

Not at all.

Granted, one is an early season game and the other was a season ending bowl game. But is the impact similar? Brew might be able to recover, but if he ends the season under .500 and no bowl game, I think he might be done.

Mason got fired by Bruininks because he gave no indication in the locker room after the game that the loss bothered him at all. If Mason cared about anything other than the millions he was making from the U he still would be coaching the Gophers. The fact that no other big time program was interested in hiring him after he was fired is all the evidence you need about his coaching reputation.

Mason got fired by Bruininks because he gave no indication in the locker room after the game that the loss bothered him at all. If Mason cared about anything other than the millions he was making from the U he still would be coaching the Gophers. The fact that no other big time program was interested in hiring him after he was fired is all the evidence you need about his coaching reputation.

THIS!

the question has to be did you sleep worse after blowing a huge lead in a bowl game, or losing at home to a FCS team in south dakota.

I think with as much hand wringing we're doing the decisions will be made based on the season and not this one game. Obviously after a loss like this the outlook isn't good. What this loss probably does though is take some of the gray (color) out of the equation. Without some good to offset this, it probably does the staff in. Where as a midlin result might have given Brewster another year before this loss.

You can bet Maturi is shoring up his short list. And there is always the chance that a great opportunity comes along and Maturi make a decision he never would have been in a position to make before. Brewster is probably for the first time on the hot seat, not just being shown the hot seat.

the question has to be did you sleep worse after blowing a huge lead in a bowl game, or losing at home to a FCS team in south dakota.

The funny thing is I think at this point most people were "Pre-Conditioned" to take a loss to USD...

When they lost the other day a lot of people were upset but ended up indifferent because of how Brewster's tenure here has already played out...

Texas Tech still to this day feels horrible...probably worse then Michigan 2003 & possibly Wisconsin 2005...

I think with as much hand wringing we're doing the decisions will be made based on the season and not this one game. Obviously after a loss like this the outlook isn't good. What this loss probably does though is take some of the gray (color) out of the equation. Without some good to offset this, it probably does the staff in. Where as a midlin result might have given Brewster another year before this loss.

You can bet Maturi is shoring up his short list. And there is always the chance that a great opportunity comes along and Maturi make a decision he never would have been in a position to make before. Brewster is probably for the first time on the hot seat, not just being shown the hot seat.

You still just don't get it, do you? Wow. Probably on the hot seat? It's *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing over!!!!!

I will keep saying it he should have been gone after year 1 we would be in a better place now....

most of you guys are flip flopers that have defended this poor coach for 4 years now.

I think the comparison is apt.

Mason was lazy and arrogant. Not a good combination. Brewster has neither of those negative qualities, but he's just not getting results.

The funny thing is I think at this point most people were "Pre-Conditioned" to take a loss to USD...

When they lost the other day a lot of people were upset but ended up indifferent because of how Brewster's tenure here has already played out...

Texas Tech still to this day feels horrible...probably worse then Michigan 2003 & possibly Wisconsin 2005...

For me nothing will equal the 2003 Michigan and 2005 Wisconsin games, thanks for bringing back those dreadful memories.

Remember when the Gophers were 7-1 and ranked 18th in the country in 2008? People were talking about locking up Brewster to a long term deal before he leaves for greener pastures? Good times...good times....:cool02:

Yes losing to South Dakota ruined my day until the Twins pulled one out later that evening, however could you imagine being a Virginia Tech fan right now? Lose a heartbreaker to Boise State and Lose to James Madison when you started the season ranked 10th in the nation and 13th in the nation heading into week two? I can't...

I will keep saying it he should have been gone after year 1 we would be in a better place now....

most of you guys are flip flopers that have defended this poor coach for 4 years now.

You sir, don't know college football. You can't judge ANY coach on their first year on a job at this level. Now, you can have an opinion and keep it until the coach's true colors shine and hoot and holler at how you were right way back when.. But that doesn't make you this great college football prognosticating mind.. It just makes you a stubborn fool.

Most of us 'flip floppers' don't cement our opinions based on a small sampling of a rebuilding team. Opinions are to be fluid. You know, so they can change and adapt to the circumstances the opinions are exposed to.

Yes losing to South Dakota ruined my day until the Twins pulled one out later that evening, however could you imagine being a Virginia Tech fan right now? Lose a heartbreaker to Boise State and Lose to James Madison when you started the season ranked 10th in the nation and 13th in the nation heading into week two? I can't...

At least they've enjoyed plenty of BCS Bowls & 10 Win Seasons in the last decade or so & for that I don't feel sorry for them at all...

Us on the other hand...

I think it might be Brewster's TT, but for a variety of different reasons (as some other posters have mentioned). I think barring an 8-4 or 7-5 (with a few huge wins) miracle...it's done.

So yeah, they were both the final nails in their prospective coffin's.

I agree with all the success, but wouldn't that make their loss just as tough or maybe tougher to swallow due to their BCS hopes this year? I'm not saying ours wasn't bad, because on maaaaany accounts it was, i'm just saying which situation would you rather have? High expectations and lots of previous success with a FCS loss or low expectations with a handful of low bowl bids (and losses for that matter) while losing to an FCS opponent. It happens to more people than Minnesota. All we can do is move on and not dwell on this game the whole god d@mn season.

Virginia Tech could still easily win the Big East...it's not even remotely far fetched...hell, Michigan was one Touchdown away from winning the Big Ten the same season they lost to Appalachian State...

Will that happen with us? I highly doubt it just based off of what we've seen in the previous few seasons...we aren't built to contend in the Big Ten right now...

I still don't feel sorry for VT fans tho...boo hoo...they lost to a championship caliber FCS school...not some middle of road team that finished .500 in FCS like we did...can't feel sorry for them...just can't...not as a Gopher fan...

Virginia Tech could still easily win the Big East...it's not even remotely far fetched...hell, Michigan was one Touchdown away from winning the Big Ten the same season they lost to Appalachian State...

Will that happen with us? I highly doubt it just based off of what we've seen in the previous few seasons...we aren't built to contend in the Big Ten right now...

I still don't feel sorry for VT fans tho...boo hoo...they lost to a championship caliber FCS school...not some middle of road team that finished .500 in FCS like we did...can't feel sorry for them...just can't...not as a Gopher fan...

HA -- You are exactly right. Virginia Tech will bounce back and they will be bowling somewhere. Next year they will be right in the thick of things again. It is hard for any Gopher fans to be feeling sorry for anyone else -- it's kind of like a terminally ill cancer patient with 6 months to live feeling sorry for someone who broke their leg!!!

Yes, after some consideration, I agree this is Brewster's Texas Tech. The reason for me is because, now, with a few days to calm down, my feelings about Saturday's loss are, if anything, stronger. It was unacceptable. There is just no evidence to conclude the program is improving. I thought that before the season. I was modestly optimistic there might be some improvement after MTSU, but clearly that 'momentum' was more than swept away. It wasn't a great victory, but a 'whew, we're not as bad as I feared' victory.

They won't fire him now, but it's NIU that's critical. If that game is a debacle, I don't think they will wait until the end of the season.

They won't fire him now, but it's NIU that's critical. If that game is a debacle, I don't think they will wait until the end of the season.

Agreed. USD is Brewster's TT except that Brew has the season to potentially recover. I think today we can safety guess that Brew will be fired at the end of the season if we are anywhere below .500. Brew might save his job if the program changes dramatically, that being some combination of a bowl trip, wins against top 25 teams, wins against rivals, and solid performances against mid to lower tier Big Ten teams.

I agree though that the NIU game will be critical. I'm not sure I could see any scenario where Brew survives beyond a loss to NIU (other than maybe, if Brew beats USC this week).

Maybe this means that NIU is Brew's TT.

Nope, Virginia Tech has absolutely zero chance of winning the Big East in 2010.

And with all the dogmatic statements you make, I'd say that you have 0% chance of being right all the time.

What do you do on this site besides provoke people? Just wondering.

I like their chances in 2020 after the Big East/ACC merger.

Top Bottom