Iowa's Marcus Coker Suspended for Insight Bowl

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
If you are a fan of schadenfreude this is your cue to sit back, crack open a hoppy beverage, and enjoy.

Iowa hasn't had much luck with the Running backs lately, have they? Coker is a very good RB and has a bright future ahead of him, if he stays out of trouble.

Reason?

It's probably not this, but given Johnson-Koulianos' business exploits, I don't know how smart it is to have a Coker on the team. Couldn't resist. It was too easy.

Iowa boards are going nuts. Speculation ranging from academics all the way to an alleged rape case.

Breakin' The Plane said:
Iowa boards are going nuts. Speculation ranging from academics all the way to an alleged rape case.

They also lost their DL coach today to Nebraska. Not good to lose one of your better coaches to a rival at the peak of the recruiting season. Rough day to be a Iowa fan.

Reason?

It's probably not this, but given Johnson-Koulianos' business exploits, I don't know how smart it is to have a Coker on the team. Couldn't resist. It was too easy.

rimshotp.jpg

Attachments

• rimshotp.jpg
    rimshotp.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3

I, like everyone else, have no idea as to the reason for the suspension. But for the second year in a row coach Ferentz has stepped up and taken action and suspended a star player before their bowl game.

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time seeing the so-called helmet schools taking similar action prior to a bowl or championship game. Last year's Buckeye team is a prime example. News broke about the tatoo and sales scandal, but all of the involved were allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Go Gophers!!

I, like everyone else, have no idea as to the reason for the suspension. But for the second year in a row coach Ferentz has stepped up and taken action and suspended a star player before their bowl game.

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time seeing the so-called helmet schools taking similar action prior to a bowl or championship game. Last year's Buckeye team is a prime example. News broke about the tatoo and sales scandal, but all of the involved were allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah...they just send the offenders to the weight room. You think they would have learned by now.

Go Gophers!!
I agree, he at least deals with it like there are rules which is more than Tosu can say. I don't enjoy it for competitors anymore, since it happens to everyone.

If Tyrann Mathieu and Spencer Ware get caught smoking synthetic weed at this point instead of before the Auburn game, any chance of them getting suspended for the NC? I'd vote no.

I agree, he at least deals with it like there are rules which is more than Tosu can say. I don't enjoy it for competitors anymore, since it happens to everyone.

He also doesn't have a problem with black facemasks :clap:

At our house, each year we don't decorate the tree until an Iowa running back gets suspended. I was getting a little nervous for this year. I am typing this with one hand with a string of lights in the other...

Given that he was reportedly making noise about transferring earlier in the season, it might be interesting. I still give them a chance, Oklahoma does not seem to be able to figure out who they are.

Ferentz is an honorable guy. one of the true 'character coaches' left. started out 1-10 in his first season and 0-8 in the conference. turned Iowa into the program with hard work, determination, and doing things the right way. I can see cKill performing the exact same feat with the Golden Gophers.

For us Iowa haters - gotta live it! At least the pig is safe here.

I was at a happy hour last night and talked to a friend who's an Iowa alum. He told me that Coker was suspended for cheating. Allegedly Coker was giving someone else the answers to a test. Supposedly Coker is pretty smart, academically. I guess that doesn't translate to good common sense. Says something about the intelligence of the Iowa student body that they're going to the football team for help on exams. Usually it's the other way around.

P.S. If this is true, it does say something for Ferentz's ethics. A lot of other schools this would have been swept under the carpet, at least until after the bowl game. Like a certain school who's initials are OSU.

At our house, each year we don't decorate the tree until an Iowa running back gets suspended. I was getting a little nervous for this year. I am typing this with one hand with a string of lights in the other...

LOL. You have topped me sir and I salute you!

I agree that Ferentz is a character guy and a dying breed. I'll give him a pass on the guys collapsing during the workout last off-season and credit that to an overzealous conditioning coach. Ferentz has tossed a lot of guys for a variety of reasons. Most of the Hawkeye hi-jinks we decry here are akin to Tinsley's attempted escape on his scooter; in other words, college-age kids doing the dumb stuff that college-age kids do. But when there's a doozy, Ferentz usually puts on the steel-toes and punts the offender.

I was at a happy hour last night and talked to a friend who's an Iowa alum. He told me that Coker was suspended for cheating. Allegedly Coker was giving someone else the answers to a test. Supposedly Coker is pretty smart, academically. I guess that doesn't translate to good common sense. Says something about the intelligence of the Iowa student body that they're going to the football team for help on exams. Usually it's the other way around.

P.S. If this is true, it does say something for Ferentz's ethics. A lot of other schools this would have been swept under the carpet, at least until after the bowl game. Like a certain school who's initials are OSU.

I talked to a season ticket holder the other night and another rumor floating around is that Coker "skyped" himself with a girl, so his friends could watch. I heard it from just one person, so take it for what it's worth.

I talked to a season ticket holder the other night and another rumor floating around is that Coker "skyped" himself with a girl, so his friends could watch. I heard it from just one person, so take it for what it's worth.
Curious what you mean by "skyped". Do you mean he had Skype on a video call while he was with a girl?

Curious what you mean by "skyped". Do you mean he had Skype on a video call while he was with a girl?

Yeah, sorry I've never used skype so don't really know how it works. Essentially he used a webcam to broadcast himself getting "intimate" with a girl. That's a rumor anyways.

Yeah, sorry I've never used skype so don't really know how it works. Essentially he used a webcam to broadcast himself getting "intimate" with a girl. That's a rumor anyways.

Wait...are you talking about Coker, or "American Pie"?

Be careful, or Jamalo will accuse you of being a perv saying such things on here.

@CFTalk:

"Iowa announces RB Marcus Coker has asked for, and been granted a release from, his scholarship."

http://btn.com/2012/01/10/coker-released-from-iowa-scholarship/

"In 2011, Coker ran for 1,384 yards, second only to Montee Ball in the Big Ten, and 15 touchdowns, tied for second among running backs with Nebraska’s Rex Burkhead, who played in one more game."

GophersInIowa said:

"I never used Skype" Suuuuure you haven't!

Perhaps he had visions of playing in the theater rather than on Sunday?

How many RBs does that make it recently? 4? 5?

Here is a list going around the email world from Iowa fans:

2002:
1) Aaron Greving, the projected starter is injured in fall and spring and abruptly quits mid way through the season.
2) Justice Hariston fails to qualify

2003:
1) Superstud Jermelle Lewis tears ACL and misses first half of season and is not the same.
2) Promising frosh Albert Young breaks leg. Out for year.
3) AJ Johnson lasts a semester before getting kicked out.

2004:
1) Shonn Greene fails to qualify out of high school
2) Fred Russell leaves early
3) Lewis tears other ACL
4) Albert Young tears ACL misses second full season.
5) Marcus Schnoor tears ACL
6) I think Champ Davis tears an ACL at some point as well.

2005:
1) Ferentz tricks the Angry Iowa-Running-Back-Hating-God by briefly moving Damian Sims to corner. Sims is the only scholarship RB to go four years without a major injury.

2006:
1) Kalvin Bailey - flunked out after one year
2) Corey Robertson - flunked out after one year

2007:
1) Shonn Greene ineligible
2) Dana Brown - beats up girlfriend and gets the boot during the great purge of '07

2008:
1) Jevon Pugh - left school after one year
2) Jeff Brinson - injured and redshirts
3) Nate Guillory - leaves in fall camp
4) Paki #2 on depth chart throughout season

2009:
1) Shonn Greene leaves early
2) Jewel Hampton tears ACL in fall camp
3) Brinson still injured has one carry
4) Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher do a nice job but usually one or both is at least hobbled
5) Paki again a staple on depth chart
6) Iowa 2010 RB recruit DeAndre Johnson is struck by AIRBHG early. Tears ACL in HS.

2010:
1) Brinson leaves before spring ball
2) Wegher - slips one past the goalies
3) Coker - breaks collarbone before pads are even on
4) Hampton - torn ACL by game three, transfers prior to bowl
5) Robinson - concussions, then academics, not in good standing
6) Paki apparently also injured.
7) Brad Rogers sidelined by heart condition

2011:
1) Iowa 2011 RB recruit Rodney Coe falls short on academics, forced to play JUCO
2) McCall breaks ankle in first game of his career
3) Iowa 2012 RB recruit Malloy is struck by AIRBHG early and gets arrested
4) Damon Bullock gets a shot at PT: Fumbles the ball, doesn’t get another carry, reportedly misses team meetings and enters the doghouse
5) Jordan Canzeri injures hamstring
6) Iowa 2012 RB recruit Malloy is struck by AIRBHG again… torn acl.
7) McCall returns from injury, only to enter the doghouse and be suspended. Then left program.
8) Coker suspended for violating UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct; Released from scholarship/transfer

Wow Stan! Great work.

Who was in on the skype action? Dom and E.J. Jones, Keith Massey and Alex Daniels?

Top Bottom