Iowa top instate recruit, 5 star recruit, Kadyn Proctor appears to be flipping to Alabama

I came across the recruits for NDSU this year, the majority of them are from Minnesota.
Shocking that a school on the Minnesota border, in a state with hardly any population, would recruit heavily from the only populous state that they border. Weird how that works.

Did you know Oklahoma has over 50 players from Texas?

really? I thought he was hired to improve recruiting, not continue the efforts of the previous regime. we're not getting a whole lot of either diamond in the rough or significant upgrades in recruiting. We'll be within one or two slots of where we were under Kill/Claeys, firmly in the bottom half of Big Ten and Big Ten west team talent rankings.
If you don't think the talent and depth have improved almost across the board under this staff, I don't know what to tell you. Almost every kid they sign has multiple P5 offers. Their lowest rated recruit this year was the defensive player of the year in the Chicago Catholic league and at .8417 would've been in the middle of the 2016 recruiting class and towards the top of the 2015 class. And if you don't think JMS, Mo, CrAB, Tanner, Esezi, etc were "diamonds in the rough", I'm not sure how to classify them. The reason we don't see as many recruits come out of nowhere as under previous staffs is they're mostly signing kids that other schools want, so we actually expect them to produce when they get on campus.

The problem with looking at where we rank compared to other B1G schools it is not an accurate measure of how our ranking has improved. We went from getting kids that no other P5 programs wanted to now getting kids that many other P5 schools want. The gap between schools ranked #5 -#10 in B1G is almost unnoticeable in most years and that is where we routinely are. The reality is we are recruiting competitively in most years and in most years our classes are outplaying their ranking. As long as we continue to send people to the NFL we will be fine.

If you don't think the talent and depth have improved almost across the board under this staff, I don't know what to tell you. Almost every kid they sign has multiple P5 offers. Their lowest rated recruit this year was the defensive player of the year in the Chicago Catholic league and at .8417 would've been in the middle of the 2016 recruiting class and towards the top of the 2015 class. And if you don't think JMS, Mo, CrAB, Tanner, Esezi, etc were "diamonds in the rough", I'm not sure how to classify them. The reason we don't see as many recruits come out of nowhere as under previous staffs is they're mostly signing kids that other schools want, so we actually expect them to produce when they get on campus.
2016 24/7 team talent rankings:

Gophers:
12 in the B1G
5 in the B1G West

New Super recruiter hired

2022 24/7 Team talent rankings (6th season)

Gophers:
11 in the B1G
5 in the B1G West

The recruiting game is vastly different today than it was 6 years ago. Compare rankings and offers from six years ago to today if you want.

A metric still in place, flawed as it is, that accounts for players on the roster, including transfers, shows very little improvement in 6 years.

You're arguing that we have better players today. That may be true, but relative to the rest of the B1G we're pretty much in the same place in our conference after 6 years with Fleck at the helm.

Reading the Iowa fans replies on XTwitter is just great. This kid took their collective for a shit-ton of money apparently and there's nothing they can do about it. He literally never even practiced with the team.

Could it happen to any team? Sure. Could it happen to us? Sure.

But it happened to IOWA, so it's wonderful!

This is a perfect example of why I won’t “donate” a single penny to NIL.
Definitely a prime example of the stupidity in all this right now. Dude can transfer, get paid, then transfer back in one off season with no consequences? Something seems very very off about that.

The fair thing to do would be to make him sit a year but we all know there is not a chance in he!! that is going to happen.

edit - while I think what Proctor did is complete BS......I love the fact that he did it to Iowa :)

This is a perfect example of why I won’t “donate” a single penny to NIL.
100%

Again, nothing against DTA they’re just trying to keep us competitive with what everyone else is doing, and that’s great.

But this whole NIL collective “fans pay for the players” is such a BS scam. The whole model needs to get killed off. The sooner the better

Definitely a prime example of the stupidity in all this right now. Dude can transfer, get paid, then transfer back in one off season with no consequences? Something seems very very off about that.
It’s gross. We need player contracts yesterday.

Would like to see it so that if you’re fresh out of HS signing with a Big Teb school, you’re there for three seasons or you forfeit your eligibility if you leave, and if transferring in (including JUCO) it’s two years.

After that, go for it. You’re a “free agent” as far as your conference school obligations go.

The fair thing to do would be to make him sit a year but we all know there is not a chance in he!! that is going to happen.

edit - while I think what Proctor did is complete BS......I love the fact that he did it to Iowa :)
If he really did "transfer" to Iowa just for a cash grab, there absolutely will be consequences for this kid. Not in the form of NCAA punishment, but that will hurt him in the long run.

It’s gross. We need player contracts yesterday.

Would like to see it so that if you’re fresh out of HS signing with a Big Teb school, you’re there for three seasons or you forfeit your eligibility if you leave, and if transferring in (including JUCO) it’s two years.

After that, go for it. You’re a “free agent” as far as your conference school obligations go.
I think this is why they want the schools to control NIL. The kids then get contracts with the schools and partners that have buyouts, etc. for protections both ways.

Sounds like there are a number of Collectives getting run by athletes, taking the money and running.

NILs are getting a learn as you go education which Iowa has shown can be costly, embarrassing & exposes poor leadership. Beware of Iowa's NIL as money donated could be money lost. Amateur athletics are not found in the Olympics, College, High school because of money paid. Elementary, preschool & softball beer leagues seem to be our last oasis of amateurs not getting paid like the majority of Artists, Actors & Grand Parent babysitters.

I didn’t think an NIL would pay a player before he was enrolled and on campus. I guess it must the money throwing is so competitive that NILs will take the risk.

Also, I wouldn’t sign a player that just ripped off another school. There’s plenty of time for another school to do the same to Alabama. The kid could get rich from college football, and then retire without ever showing up.

If he really did "transfer" to Iowa just for a cash grab, there absolutely will be consequences for this kid. Not in the form of NCAA punishment, but that will hurt him in the long run.
What consequences are you referring to?

This is really something. He originally commits to Iowa 6/30/2022. After committing he takes official visits to Michigan and Oregon. He then takes an unofficial visit to Bama right before signing day. Then, the day before signing day decommits from Iowa and signs with Bama the next day.

Then after being at Bama for only one year leaves the team, joins Iowa, take a bunch of Iowa NIL money, then leaves Iowa and rejoins Bama again, all in one offseason.

Over the course of a year and a half, he's essentially committed to play at Alabama twice and Iowa twice.

Completely ignoring the NCAA rules and how this is even allowed to happen - that is a person I would want no part of and IMO says a lot about the character of that person.

What consequences are you referring to?
I mean his reputation is certainly going to take a hit. People will think twice before engaging in a contract with him. Will his NFL Draft stock take a hit? Too soon to tell - probably not if he's good enough, but if he ends up as a a fringe prospect perhaps NFL teams decide he's not worth the headache. As an employer I'd certainly avoid hiring him.

Reading the Iowa fans replies on XTwitter is just great. This kid took their collective for a shit-ton of money apparently and there's nothing they can do about it. He literally never even practiced with the team.

Could it happen to any team? Sure. Could it happen to us? Sure.

But it happened to IOWA, so it's wonderful!

It really depends on what you consider their collective. There's 2 arms to the Iowa Swarm. The collective side (personal donations) and the Inc side (corporate deals with athletes).

He didn't get a dime from the collective side. I imagine he had a deal or 2 lined up with some private businesses and took money from those people.

But as far as the collective is concerned, the one fans contribute to anyway, he received nothing. I think this one of those things that opposing fans really want to believe, see it posted on the internet by other opposing fans, and take it as gospel truth.

It really depends on what you consider their collective. There's 2 arms to the Iowa Swarm. The collective side (personal donations) and the Inc side (corporate deals with athletes).

He didn't get a dime from the collective side. I imagine he had a deal or 2 lined up with some private businesses and took money from those people.

But as far as the collective is concerned, the one fans contribute to anyway, he received nothing. I think this one of those things that opposing fans really want to believe, see it posted on the internet by other opposing fans, and take it as gospel truth.
And if it really was true that they handed him cash before playing, the system is REALLY broken. I find it hard to believe that an NIL collective (even in Iowa) could be that dumb.

If I'm a corporate sponsor and I'm going to pay a kid a boatload of money wouldn't you think there would be a contract that would at least have a contract that could specify that Johnny or Jane would physically reside within 25 miles of the campus???? Could that be done to prevent this kind of crap?

If I'm a corporate sponsor and I'm going to pay a kid a boatload of money wouldn't you think there would be a contract that would at least have a contract that could specify that Johnny or Jane would physically reside within 25 miles of the campus???? Could that be done to prevent this kind of crap?
Of what campus? If you tie it to a campus, it would technically break the rules of NIL. They could try to be clever and make it based on being in a particular location (10 miles of Iowa City). I'm not sure a court would enforce that clause of the contract.

I think the best way to do it is to have the NIL partnership team up with some local business - even if it's just to prevent this stuff and have a condition of the deal be that he does weekly live appearances at a particular restaurant, dealership, etc. that just so happens to be in the same city as the college. You could make it nearly impossible for someone to uphold their end of the contract while going to another school (unless those schools were close).

That said, this is all insane. It only exists because these deals are being used for precisely the reason they are not allowed to be used. It's a by product of all of us being forced to carry on this charade.

This whole story is the damnedest thing I have a bunch of buddies who are Hawkeyes fans, and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to mock and ridicule them and boy they are not amused by how this shook out.

Top Bottom