Iowa has not trailed in a game against Minnesota since the fourth quarter in 2016, a span of 245 minutes and 28 seconds

So... If the Gophers trail, but win via last minute heroics, does coach Fleck say we gave Iowa the time span, but took Floyd home?
Hopefully, he doesn't need to time travel.

As far as more recent developments go, Iowa has scored a grand total of 31 points in their last three games. Minnesota has scored 89 points in their last three games.

If Iowa repeats what Illinois and BG managed to do to our run game, we won't win. If they don't, I think they don't have enough offense to keep up. We'll know what type of game it'll be by midway through the second quarter...

Iowa has scored first in every game against the Gophers since the 2011 game. We scored first in 2011 game and won by a point. We also scored first in 2010 and won. (We did win in 2014 though we didn’t score first).

Sanford scripts the first 12 plays. Hoping that somewhere in the script is a realistic chance to score before Iowa does. Falling behind Illinois early was the kiss of death—because our offense isn’t exactly constructed to come back from being behind. Falling behind Iowa early isn’t a great idea either. Not sure a 12 play script, which could span our first three drives, is the most opportunistic way to go. Maybe look a little more to take advantage of what the defense is giving? IDK.

Last edited:

Iowa has scored first in every game against the Gophers since the 2012 game. We scored first in 2012 game and won by a point. We also scored first in 2010 and won. (We did win in 2014 though we didn’t score first).

Sanford scripts the first 12 plays. Hoping that somewhere in the script is a realistic chance to score before Iowa does. Falling behind Illinois early was the kiss of death—because our offense isn’t exactly constructed to come back from being behind. Falling behind Iowa early isn’t a great idea either. Not sure a 12 play script, which could span our first three drives, is the most opportunistic way to go. Maybe look a little more to take advantage of what the defense is giving? IDK.
We won in 2010, 2011, 2014. We didn't win in 2012.

What was the launch angle and the exit velocity of the opening kickoff in 20-6

We won in 2010, 2011, 2014. We didn't win in 2012.
Sorry, I fixed it. Forgot we got home games back-to-back in 2010 and 2011. I was thinking about not winning at Kinnick in the 21st Century.

It is bonkers just how badly the Gophs have gotten their asses absolutely kicked by our main rivals over the last two decades. Just brutal.

If Iowa repeats what Illinois and BG managed to do to our run game, we won't win. If they don't, I think they don't have enough offense to keep up. We'll know what type of game it'll be by midway through the second quarter...
I dont think that Iowa can repeat what IL and BG did, which is to make Tanner beat you (he cant with Sanford calling the plays).

I think Iowa will improve upon what IL did and truly make us 1 dimensional.

Unless the gophers prepare and have a game plan like they did against Auburn, its gonna be a long game

As far as more recent developments go, Iowa has scored a grand total of 31 points in their last three games. Minnesota has scored 89 points in their last three games.

but - in those games, IA was not playing MN and MN was not playing IA.

just because Team A beat Team B, and Team B beat Team C, that does not guarantee that Team A will beat Team C, because Team C's personnel and schemes may match up better against Team A.

each game is its own entity.

It is bonkers just how badly the Gophs have gotten their asses absolutely kicked by our main rivals over the last two decades. Just brutal.
Mason held his own against Iowa.

He was 4-6 vs Iowa. Fleck is 0-4.

Mason held his own against Iowa.

He was 4-6 vs Iowa. Fleck is 0-4.

There's no question that the 'next step' in the Gophers achieving their long-term goals is to beat Iowa and beat Wisconsin. Obviously, they're not going to beat those two teams every season but they must, as you said, "hold their own" against our two main rivals. Absolutely crucial.

In my view, the Gophers simply have to get to a point where they are very competitive with both Iowa and Wisconsin in order for Fleck to be able to claim that he got the program to the 'next level'.

each game is its own entity.
Of course, but he's not talking about one game; he's talking about three games collectively. Obviously, Iowa's scoring has slowed down considerably in the last three games. It's not just about "matchups" unless you're saying that all three of those teams are particularly bad matchups for Iowa.

I'd say that Wisconsin right now is a pretty bad matchup for anyone in the West and Purdue's defense has been solid throughout most of the season (although not any better than ours). Northwestern hasn't been a bad matchup for anyone in the conference this season except Rutgers but Iowa couldn't score 20 on them. While it's certainly possible that Iowa's offense heats up against us, I have my doubts.

Kirk owns PJ.
And Brohm owns Kirk. So does Fitz. PJ owns Brohm and is even up with Fitz. Chryst owns everyone except Fitz but struggles against the East.

The B1G West is just the land of misfit toys.

There's no question that the 'next step' in the Gophers achieving their long-term goals is to beat Iowa and beat Wisconsin.

That's it in a nutshell. Until they start being competitive with those teams, they won't be taken seriously. We're doing well against the four remaining teams in the division and are actually 6-5 against Penn State since 1999.

There's no question that the 'next step' in the Gophers achieving their long-term goals is to beat Iowa and beat Wisconsin. Obviously, they're not going to beat those two teams every season but they must, as you said, "hold their own" against our two main rivals. Absolutely crucial.

In my view, the Gophers simply have to get to a point where they are very competitive with both Iowa and Wisconsin in order for Fleck to be able to claim that he got the program to the 'next level'.
If he does that will be most impressive. Consider how much easier it is to recruit to college towns like Madison and Iowa City versus a pro town. And that was true even before Minneapolis became so disorderly.

Consider how much easier it is to recruit to college towns like Madison and Iowa City versus a pro town.

I don't think the presence of a pro team has all that much influence. UCLA, USC, Washington, Miami, Florida, Arizona State, Pitt, and Michigan are all either within, or very close to, metro areas with pro football teams. I do think the college town setting vs urban setting may have some influence and weather and geography certainly do.

However, I read a survey of FBS recruits recently where they said the two most important factors in their choices were: playing time and the program's history in placing players in the NFL Iowa and Wisconsin have way better recent histories of NFL placement than we do.

Seems appropriate to drop this on the eve of the end of Hate Week...

It's Disney, so they left out the best part of Herbie's actual speech...

"If you lose this game, you'll take it to your f**king graves." Then he paused and repeated "Your f**king graves."

I don't think the presence of a pro team has all that much influence. UCLA, USC, Washington, Miami, Florida, Arizona State, Pitt, and Michigan are all either within, or very close to, metro areas with pro football teams. I do think the college town setting vs urban setting may have some influence and weather and geography certainly do.

However, I read a survey of FBS recruits recently where they said the two most important factors in their choices were: playing time and the program's history in placing players in the NFL Iowa and Wisconsin have way better recent histories of NFL placement than we do.
Yes, and Athens, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Eugene, Fayetteville, Iowa City, Madison, Columbus, Bloomington, Columbia, State College, Norman, Austin, et al do not have NFL Re FBS recruits' important factors, I doubt if they would respond that they'd prefer to play in a town with media and fan focus on their team and not diluted by a truckload of pro sports. I could be wrong, but the Gophers were sure a powerhouse before 61 and haven't been since. As to NFL placement, yes Iowa and WI place more than we do -- they're able to recruit more high-star athletes. I don't know that Madison and Iowa City have significantly better weather than Minneapolis,, but those towns are certainly more tranquil these days. I think the Gophers under Fleck do pretty damn well given the handicap of their location. I don't expect championships -- but I enjoy going into most Saturday mornings now thinking we have a good chance of winning today. Thanks for the civil tone of your reply.

It's Disney, so they left out the best part of Herbie's actual speech...

"If you lose this game, you'll take it to your f**king graves." Then he paused and repeated "Your f**king graves."
He said that between periods of the Finland game, not prior to the Soviet game.

Top Bottom