Iowa game--crowd and other thoughts.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
So not having a mid-week game sucks.

Iowa on Sunday. I don't usually like Sunday games but a lot of people have Monday off. Will it feel like a Saturday crowd? Noon is tough but I'm very excited. I think the Gophers will win this game behind a great effort from Oturu. He has something to prove against Garza and I don't think Garza can defend him.

Lets discuss now as I'm bored.

So not having a mid-week game sucks.

Iowa on Sunday. I don't usually like Sunday games but a lot of people have Monday off. Will it feel like a Saturday crowd? Noon is tough but I'm very excited. I think the Gophers will win this game behind a great effort from Oturu. He has something to prove against Garza and I don't think Garza can defend him.

Lets discuss now as I'm bored.
I would defend Garza with multiple players or he will get Oturu in foul trouble. Must win. Biggest game of the year to date and it will have a lot to say about our NCAA hopes. Need a huge crowd.

I was negative against the crowd in another thread, but it tends to show up against Iowa.

That was the thing everyone said last game they played. I think the question was how quick will oturu get his second foul against garza? Had 22 points and 3 fouls in 31 minutes last time they played. Been doing a great job of being smart and staying out of foul trouble so far this year. Not saying it won't happen sunday! Cross your fingers!

Gophs will be able to get solid looks....should eke out a win ....unless they are shooting brick city

That was the thing everyone said last game they played. I think the question was how quick will oturu get his second foul against garza? Had 22 points and 3 fouls in 31 minutes last time they played. Been doing a great job of being smart and staying out of foul trouble so far this year. Not saying it won't happen sunday! Cross your fingers!

Biggest issue in game one was the shooting by everyone but Oturu. Willis-Carr-Gabs combined to go 3/29...defense was actually really solid that game.

Teams to hold Iowa under 72 points this year:
Syracuse (68, Iowa won)
Nebraska (70, Iowa lost)
Purdue (68, Iowa gave up 104)

I think President's Day weekend makes it more enticing for Hawkeye fans to make it to the Barn.

Iowa scares me more than most Big Ten teams. They have games where they are scalding hot from behind the arc, and I have seen too many teams over the years come into the Barn and shoot lights out. Doubling Garza is tough when you have four other shooters on the floor. If I was Pitino, I would tell Carr to attack the rim right away and try to get Garza to pick up some quick fouls.

Garza is so clever offensively, inside and outside. When Nebraska beat Iowa, they doubled Garza every single time he touched the ball and hoped the other shooters would miss. They did.

I think President's Day weekend makes it more enticing for Hawkeye fans to make it to the Barn.
Unfortunately, this likely will be be the case. I gotta ask...who hates Iowa?

Thoughts on crowd: Sunday 12 noon kickoff. Hmmm? If any of you season ticket holders r bible thumpers and sensing conflict; consider donating ur tickets to ur heathen friends. Let’s get that Barn full!

I'll be there, confirmed tix today! My apologies in advance to any of you chumps who don't want me standing and yelling. We hate Iowa!

Will be packed. Taking grandkids. Gophers destroy Iowa.
Iowa could not guard my grandmother so I sincerely hope we do indeed destroy Iowa.
But they can score...

B1G home games this year:
DayTimeOpponentAttendance% Capacity
Sunday5:30(3) Ohio State9,85467%
Sunday6:30Northwestern9,57465%
Sunday12:00Michigan10,45371%
Wednesday8:00Penn State9,71466%
Sunday2:00(11) Michigan State12,11483%
Wednesday8:00Wisconsin11,38978%
Numbers from ESPN.com
Sunday vs Iowa will not be close to a sell-out, but it will still be loud.

Interesting to note that our only home conference loss came with our largest home crowd of the season. Also, more people attended the Florida International (Saturday Afternoon in late December) game than the Ohio State, Northwestern, and Penn State games.

Who Hates Iowa??!!

B1G home games this year:
DayTimeOpponentAttendance% Capacity
Sunday5:30(3) Ohio State9,85467%
Sunday6:30Northwestern9,57465%
Sunday12:00Michigan10,45371%
Wednesday8:00Penn State9,71466%
Sunday2:00(11) Michigan State12,11483%
Wednesday8:00Wisconsin11,38978%
Numbers from ESPN.com
Sunday vs Iowa will not be close to a sell-out, but it will still be loud.

Interesting to note that our only home conference loss came with our largest home crowd of the season. Also, more people attended the Florida International (Saturday Afternoon in late December) game than the Ohio State, Northwestern, and Penn State games.

Who Hates Iowa??!!
There will be a lot of Iowa fans, i predict a larger crowd than MSU

Also, more people attended the Florida International (Saturday Afternoon in late December) game than the Ohio State, Northwestern, and Penn State games.

Who Hates Iowa??!!
We have had a terrible draw for game times. Florida International was the last Saturday game and a good invite (we brought friends), and we havent had a 7p game since November.
I just hope I don't have to sit next to Iowa fans.

There will be a lot of Iowa fans, i predict a larger crowd than MSU
When they played Iowa at home last year, it was a late Sunday aftenoon game, Iowa was ranked, and they filled around 79% of the Barn.

We have had a terrible draw for game times. Florida International was the last Saturday game and a good invite (we brought friends), and we havent had a 7p game since November.
I just hope I don't have to sit next to Iowa fans.
Something else I just noticed looking at the schedule- last home game against Nebraska is the first Sunday of spring break. Student section is probably going to be pretty empty.

When they played Iowa at home last year, it was a late Sunday aftenoon game, Iowa was ranked, and they filled around 79% of the Barn.
Good points but i think with the earlier start on a holiday weekend more will travel.

Do those attendance figures count the tickets they don't sell unless its close to sellout?

Do those attendance figures count the tickets they don't sell unless its close to sellout?

This feels like quite a "zen" question to ask.

If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

This feels like quite a "zen" question to ask.

If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

Not Zen at all. I don't know what the official capacity is on The Barn. I know it expands for sellouts and near sellouts but what is the typical # they consider capacity and does that change? Its a pretty simple question.

PS always get a kick out of your username

Not Zen at all. I don't know what the official capacity is on The Barn. I know it expands for sellouts and near sellouts but what is the typical # they consider capacity and does that change? Its a pretty simple question.

PS always get a kick out of your username

I kept reading your question and could not comprehend the "count the tickets they don't sell". What's there to count if it was not sold?

Official capacity is 14,625 which is what it has been listed at since the Barn Lofts were completed in 1997. There currently is no standing room, so I think that capacity is the max, though I am not sure if it includes Obstructed View. Just for the heck of it, I looked up the last sellout I recall being at (Indiana / 2013). Official attendance is listed as 14,625.

I am going to set the Over/Under for this Sunday as 13,450.

Thanks on the username.

I kept reading your question and could not comprehend the "count the tickets they don't sell". What's there to count if it was not sold?

Official capacity is 14,625 which is what it has been listed at since the Barn Lofts were completed in 1997. There currently is no standing room, so I think that capacity is the max, though I am not sure if it includes Obstructed View. Just for the heck of it, I looked up the last sellout I recall being at (Indiana / 2013). Official attendance is listed as 14,625.

I am going to set the Over/Under for this Sunday as 13,450.

Thanks on the username.
I’ll take the under. Loser buys next pregame meal.

Top Bottom