Iowa fans crying

Watching the Iowa presser you really see how delusional Kirk is about the performance of his Offense. He spends the entire first half of the presser explaining how they got jobbed on the punt call. Then finally after all the Iowa in-state media Bobos are done, someone finally asks what his thoughts are on having only 12 yds of offense in the 2nd half and he totally brushes it off and says basically we still would have won if they hadn't got jobbed us on the punt call. I have to believe there have to be a lot of Iowa fans who have had almost enough of this.

If I was the AD and the punt returned wasn’t overturned Fleck wouldn’t have been on the bus back home.

We’re going to disagree on the bailout even if it was the right call.
Did they bail us out when called Kesich's last FG good?

Gophers out played Iowa.

Gophers deserved to win.

Fleck played to lose.

The Refs bailed out Fleck.
I would add:
Gophers were down three running backs and 4th Q running was more ineffective than it should have been
Iowa punter out punted our punter during the 4th quarter almost to the point of putting Iowa in FG territory without having any offense.

It's hard for me to say our offense was "better".

But I do agree that it was not as bad as Iowa's.
By virtue of "ball security" alone, the Gophers offense was "better" than the Hawkeyes.

That's where I'm sticking with what I said.

Throwing fewer picks is less bad.

Again, not that it invalidates the ref's call at all, not trying to say that ... but usually when punt returners do that "get away" signal, they're wildly swinging both arms back and forth and it's really obvious.

DeJean was pointing to the ground with one arm, and only doing the "get away" with the other arm.

Again, not that it invalidates the ref's call at all, not trying to say that ... but usually when punt returners do that "get away" signal, they're wildly swinging both arms back and forth and it's really obvious.

DeJean was pointing to the ground with one arm, and only doing the "get away" with the other arm.

As others have said.....I think DeJean was trying to confuse the Gophers. Potentially attempt to draw a penalty on what should have been ruled dead on the spot. And it makes more sense with full context why it looked like several Gopher players slowed up/didn't even attempt a tackle.

That's why the rule is in place and it makes sense.

If I was the AD and the punt returned wasn’t overturned Fleck wouldn’t have been on the bus back home.

We’re going to disagree on the bailout even if it was the right call.
He would have been Lane Kifffened on the tarmac. I fired and rehired him several times in the 4th.

DeJean was signaling late on every fair catch before that. Late and brief. He somewhat initiated contact on the kick catch interference too.

Imo, he was attempting to be deceptive.

Ferentz is whining about why the review included the Invalid Fair Catch rule. What difference does it make if they told him that they were checking to see if he stayed in bounds? I assume it was something the refs were also reviewing b/c it is reviewable.

The refs have to let it play out rather than mistakenly blowing the whistle and stopping play. It was done according to ref guidelines.

Ferentz just didn’t like the result.

I will say that Brady Weeks, the long snapper, needs to participate in some tackling drills. Use the damned sideline Brady. Leverage!

Iowa fans are saying "If it was an invalid fair catch, why wasn't Minnesota penalized for trying to tackle?" But if you attempt to illegally move the ball, you're fair game. You can't expect the defense to stop when the offense isn't stopping.

Iowa fans are saying "If it was an invalid fair catch, why wasn't Minnesota penalized for trying to tackle?" But if you attempt to illegally move the ball, you're fair game. You can't expect the defense to stop when the offense isn't stopping.
Correct and even more so, the refs didn't blow it dead. You can't quit on the play as a defensive player when you think it might be over if there is no whistle. Hard all around and too bad it was so pivotal. But Iowa lost because they suck at offense just a little more than we do. Which is saying a lot.

They’re collectively crying louder than Lois Feldman in a Metrodome bathroom stall.
Was the crying before or after the arrest? Important distinction.

If it’s the former, well…that’s my thing, and don’t kink shame me.

This is the equivalent of a runner stepping out of bounds at the 30 yard line. But the refs miss it and the runner is eventually tackled at the 50. They review it and determine he did indeed step out at the 30. But then access a penalty on the defense because they tackled the runner 20 yds after he stepped out of bounds.

And what some Iowa fans are saying is actually even dumber than that because it was only attempting to tackle. Are they gonna start calling penalties for attempting to grab a facemask, even if they don’t?

Here’s the deal: Iowa benefitted enormously from referees who called 4 penalties on the Gophers, on a short field drive, resulting in the Hawkeyes getting a first down on the half yard line. The entire Hawkeye drive was based on penalties. Was the resulting Iowa TD a gift from the referees? Some of the penalties were close (PI on Walley, who arguably was going for the ball) or silly (Nubin’s swat at the ball after a whistle). But the rules are the rules. And the only reason Iowa was ahead at halftime was because the referees called it by the book. And the reason Cooper DeJean’s TD was called back was because the referees called it by the book. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, Iowa. Sorry.

Last edited:

Top Bottom