Iowa fan appeals “fair catch” to World Series tv viewers

This is how fans have acted since Zog's team beat Oog's team in a game of whatever it was that cavemen played and you're figuring this out now?

No I just was posting what I hope happens coming up. Hopefully this week.

It just makes me laugh that Iowa fans are so pissed off about an invalid fair catch when there are far more pressing matters for their program to worry about.

It also makes me laugh that Minnesota fans are so defensive about getting lucky. It happens. Enjoy it. And its funny how they make fun of Iowa fans for being pissed about being on the other end.

It just makes me laugh that Iowa fans are so pissed off about an invalid fair catch when there are far more pressing matters for their program to worry about.

It also makes me laugh that Minnesota fans are so defensive about getting lucky. It happens. Enjoy it. And its funny how they make fun of Iowa fans for being pissed about being on the other end.
It's because your statement "getting lucky" implies that either an incorrect call was made, or the call was an uncertain judgment call, when in reality it was an obvious decision.

The Iowa fair catch call wasn't luck. Correct call all the way. "Lucky" would be more like crab not getting called for a blindsided block in the last game. That one totally could have gone against us...kind of a 50/50 there.

It's because your statement "getting lucky" implies that either an incorrect call was made, or the call was an uncertain judgment call, when in reality it was an obvious decision.
The Iowa fair catch call wasn't luck. Correct call all the way. "Lucky" would be more like crab not getting called for a blindsided block in the last game. That one totally could have gone against us...kind of a 50/50 there.

The luck comment came from the fact that the play wasn't reviewed for the fair catch signal. It was reviewed to see if the returner went out of bounds.

It's rare that you have a play reviewed and the officials catch something else.

The officials also still got it wrong. They should have assessed a 5 yard penalty on the returner. It was the same official that called the Iowa LB out of bounds in 2022 on the late INT return when he clearly wasn't.

It's safe to say the officials are in way over their heads and the conference even had to do a press release and later a conference call to do damage control.

The luck comment came from the fact that the play wasn't reviewed for the fair catch signal. It was reviewed to see if the returner went out of bounds.

The officials also still got it wrong. They should have assessed a 5 yard penalty on the returner. It was the same official that called the Iowa LB out of bounds in 2022 on the late INT return when he clearly wasn't.

It's safe to say the officials are in way over their heads and the conference even had to do a press release and later a conference call to do damage control.

The refs told Ferentz it was under review for the out of bounds possibility, but several posts in this thread correctly indicate that the entire play was subject to review, whether it was a TD or not.

Also, it's not a 5 Yard penalty in NCAA football. I think it should be, but that's not the rule.

I thought I heard that people initially thought they were reviewing to see if he went out of bounds but that was later refuted.

Also, in college it's not a 5 yard penalty on the returner for invalid fair catch. The play just stops there (although IMO there should be a penalty, but there currently is not in NCAA). I think it might be different in the NFL though.

Edit - looks like Ope3 beat me to the reply on these issues.

Here let's be clear about one thing.....FIFY-Hawkeye-dudebro.jpg

I thought I heard that people initially thought they were reviewing to see if he went out of bounds but that was later refuted.

Also, in college it's not a 5 yard penalty on the returner for invalid fair catch. The play just stops there (although IMO there should be a penalty, but there currently is not in NCAA). I think it might be different in the NFL though.

Edit - looks like Ope3 beat me to the reply on these issues.

It is in NFL. Basically a delay of game.

Last edited:

It is in NFL. Basically a delay of game.
I think it should be in NCAA too. Also discourages fake/deceptive fair catch signals too.

Yes. That’s the funniest thing about the call.
They are arguing something that is 100% true. It just doesn’t mean what they think it means
That’s what cracks me up about it. The refs, by virtue of the call, completely agree with them. My Hawkeye family members say the same thing as these people whenever they talk about the game. I always tell them they’re completely correct, that it wasn’t a fair catch, it was an invalid fair catch signal.

This is pretty funny.

I’m okay with Grandma and Grandpa sticking up for the grandson, but there’s just too much going on in the pic not to find some humor. So much stuff that I’m starting a list:

1. Grandma Kathy is sweet, but she certainly doesn’t want to be in this pic.
2. Grandpa Al hasn’t stood that straight since his 49th birthday.
3. Did you catch the ‘R’? They paid to register ‘It wasn’t a fair catch’?
4. Looks like the picture is taped to the side of Kinko’s copier! It’s Iowa … they’re still on film cameras.
5. Kudos for the glitter tape. Nice touch Grandma!

Top Bottom