Iowa at Minnesota Post Game Thread

The defense was good but not great when you consider that defensive rebounding is part of defense. Keeping them away from a good shot for 30 seconds then giving them second and third opportunities (18 times) is not good defense. It feels good but isn't. A little like it feels good when Gabe hits the rim.
Poor Gabe.

Can brandon Johnson guard 3s? I know there was talk of tre getting more of gabes clock, but for whatever reason he is in pitinos dog house. Can johnson get some of gabes minutes?

I was so busy with Christmas stuff I didn't realize the game was on. Damn. It doesn't look like a replay is on the BTN schedule yet either. On the flip side, it's been like getting another Christmas treat reading all these posts!

Poor Gabe.

Can brandon Johnson guard 3s? I know there was talk of tre getting more of gabes clock, but for whatever reason he is in pitinos dog house. Can johnson get some of gabes minutes?

Too early to tell if Tre is in the dog house yet. I did wonder why he didn't play last night but maybe he has a slight injury.

Coaches with great defenses play it out as that is their strength, especially with more than 5 seconds left, that is a eternity. In the case of Iowa they are so horriffic , so poorly coached that they should foul.
If Iowa would’ve fouled they would’ve ended up losing in regulation

While other threads compare Carr's game-tying three-pointer to Hoffarber's against IU, a more apt comparison is the triple OT win over Iowa at Williams in March 1994. It was set up as Voshon Lenard's last game at the barn (but he ended up coming back for his senior year) and he did not disappoint, 38 points. The shot I will always remember came at the end of the first overtime, Gophers down by 3 and inbounding the ball after a timeout with about 5 seconds left on the clock. Everyone in the gym and watching at home knew it was going to Voshon - he launched a long 3 with three guys hanging on him as time expired - swish!

For those sitting in Section 212, that game was the origin of "It's only a game," preached by a know-it-all in front of us as we screamed at the refs, willing the team to win, holding off an improving and gutty Hawkeye team in what I think was Jess Settles first freshman year. Also pretty much locked a tourney bid. Great night.

"It's only a game" is a now infrequently used rallying cry in our new section when the game gets intense and the fans follow. Not any nerds around to slap us the wrist any more, though.

Too early to tell if Tre is in the dog house yet. I did wonder why he didn't play last night but maybe he has a slight injury.

He was the first dude off the bench cheering a few times. Seemed engaged. Guessing he is hurt enough to not be able to play. Hopefully he is back soon, he is one of the bench dudes who can randomly step up and really help.

One note - there was a possession in OT where the Gophers had the ball and the lead - and Mashburn came down and launched a "3" with about 20 sec. left on the shot clock.

I think I elevated about a foot off the couch.

Freshmen will do things like that - but hopefully not too often.

looked it up - Gophers up 96-82. gophers had the ball for 6 seconds when Mashburn missed the shot. Iowa came down, drew a foul and Garza hit 2 FT to cut it to a 4 point game with 2:05 to play in OT.
fortunately for the Gophs, Johnson hit a "3" on the next possession, but that could have been a key swing. Hopefully the coaches will use that as a teachable moment.

He was the first dude off the bench cheering a few times. Seemed engaged. Guessing he is hurt enough to not be able to play. Hopefully he is back soon, he is one of the bench dudes who can randomly step up and really help.

I think he will still be a contributor this year. Ideally, we'll have a number of different guys stepping up each game - consequently there will be games when one of those guys sits a lot and isn't a factor. Hoping this is the case with Tre. Also, if he is dinged up, this makes even more sense

For those sitting in Section 212, that game was the origin of "It's only a game," preached by a know-it-all in front of us as we screamed at the refs, willing the team to win, holding off an improving and gutty Hawkeye team in what I think was Jess Settles first freshman year. Also pretty much locked a tourney bid. Great night.

"It's only a game" is a now infrequently used rallying cry in our new section when the game gets intense and the fans follow. Not any nerds around to slap us the wrist any more, though.
That was THAT game?

One note - there was a possession in OT where the Gophers had the ball and the lead - and Mashburn came down and launched a "3" with about 20 sec. left on the shot clock.

I think I elevated about a foot off the couch.

Freshmen will do things like that - but hopefully not too often.

looked it up - Gophers up 96-82. gophers had the ball for 6 seconds when Mashburn missed the shot. Iowa came down, drew a foul and Garza hit 2 FT to cut it to a 4 point game with 2:05 to play in OT.
fortunately for the Gophs, Johnson hit a "3" on the next possession, but that could have been a key swing. Hopefully the coaches will use that as a teachable moment.

I saw the second half replay and agree in principal that he should not have taken the shot, but he was wide open and it was in the context of the offense. Tough for a guy to get into the flow of the offense and be told to stop. If Mash taking early threes is not part of the vision, then discipline him with "time and score," but it sure looks like in general most of the guys are green lighted with open threes as a matter of course, regardless of clock.

There were multiple positives to be hopeful about last nights performance. Previous posters have provided a great summary. Overall, other than rebounding I loved the effort this team put forth all the way through OT. So many times Pitino teams seem to drift and lose intensity but not last night. This W was a fantastic present !

Not disagreeing with anything you say, but if the definition of soft is being bullied by Cockburn, there's a lot of soft players out there.

That was just an example. And "soft" isn't really fair. But he's thin and does tend to get pushed back by bulkier centers. When they mentioned on the broadcast last night that he was 300 pounds in high school...I was floored.

That was just an example. And "soft" isn't really fair. But he's thin and does tend to get pushed back by bulkier centers. When they mentioned on the broadcast last night that he was 300 pounds in high school...I was floored.

That was part of his lore. Huge kid in high school, out of shape, and I think no D-1 offers, then prep school (?), Drake adn to the land of the big men in the Big Ten.

Its never 'just a game' when you're winning.

I also noticed Martice Mitchell getting really engaged. He might be take Jarvis’ role as the leader on the bench!
Mash also gets real excited on the bench, but he will be spending more of his time on the court as his career progresses.

Let's get one thing straight: Iowa did not crap the bed; they made plays. The Gophers were just as good as them. This Gopher team has the goods. Robbins is the real deal; he's a legit Big Ten center. As someone said, we're a functional Gabe away from this team having second-weekend NCAA legs.

100%. The Gophers of old would have been done when Iowa took an eight point lead halfway through the second half. Not this team. Even though they had started hitting their shots....the Gophers picked it up and started making some themselves. Brandon Johnson hit a three when the Gophers were down seven. When the Gophers were down eight....it was Mashburn who hit a midrange shot to bring it down to six....and then once again....Brandon Johnson with a three on the next possession to bring it back to three.

When OT hit....it was game over. Even Gonzaga couldn't have done anything to catch up to the hot shooting of Johnson.

Was that the 3OT game?

Yes. Really intense. Easily forgotten was that the Hawkeyes were really young and improving, but had a bad record, and the Gophers "should have" won pretty easily. They were talented young, including Settles, but young, nonetheless.

A similar win now would have the trolls out reminding us that the Gophers are terrible, the coaching was bad, the team wasn't prepared, and despite the excitement, there really is nothing good to look forward to. The world has changed.

One element of this game that i feel has gone understated thus far is the value of depth at every position. It showed tonight in three ways.

First, we can ride the hot hand at PF. Ihnen was playing an average game (lost a little on defense but rebounded reasonably well and had a few productive drives to the hoop), but BJ was locked in.

Second, we have capable back ups at C. Curry is a leader on the court and won’t often make simple mistakes. He’s a seasoned and dependable. Freeman also looks to be a reliable enough band aid in spot duty. He’s comfortable with the ball and a big body. I’m excited to see him continue to improve for a couple more years.

Third, when Gach “lost focus” last night in crunch time (fouled the three point shooter and stepped out of bounds on the ensuing possession), Pitino was able to sub in Mashburn. Mash is showing that he is a guy that can comfortably handle the moment (although he might have been the one that tried an ill advised pass to the opposite side during the press break).

In years past, we’ve been so thin that we are doomed when a key player goes cold, foul trouble hits the wrong guy(s), or our ball handlers can’t handle the pressure. Simply put, we’ve never had this much margin of error, and never had this much threat from a guy that doesn’t start.
And, Richard is pulling the strings nicely. I’d like to see Mutaf get a chance to show if he can join the party too.

And, Richard is pulling the strings nicely. I’d like to see Mutaf get a chance to show if he can join the party too.

What minutes would you have given Mutaf in the past two games?

Yes. Really intense. Easily forgotten was that the Hawkeyes were really young and improving, but had a bad record, and the Gophers "should have" won pretty easily. They were talented young, including Settles, but young, nonetheless.

A similar win now would have the trolls out reminding us that the Gophers are terrible, the coaching was bad, the team wasn't prepared, and despite the excitement, there really is nothing good to look forward to. The world has changed.
Great post.

Didnt voshon promise to make the 3 that sent it to 2Ot?

I will always be fond of voshon for shunning the MI schools and coming here. I know he didnt have the super career everyome expected, but I will always be grateful he came here

Great post.

Didnt voshon promise to make the 3 that sent it to 2Ot?

I will always be fond of voshon for shunning the MI schools and coming here. I know he didnt have the super career everyome expected, but I will always be grateful he came here
I thought he had a incredible career here. 2103 points, 3 straight winning conference records,huge crowds.

Last edited:

That was part of his lore. Huge kid in high school, out of shape, and I think no D-1 offers, then prep school (?), Drake adn to the land of the big men in the Big Ten.
The McCarville plan!

And yes, I'm sure I was at that Iowa game, but I've never been clear on when that incident took place, so thanks for tying that together!

Many interesting points on this video. One of them is that Spartans are by far the worst defensive big ten team according to defensive metrics. Lots of interesting commentary on iowa-minny game as well.

I have never understood why this isnt a foul. Supposedly, each player is entitled to their own space. Yet an offensive post can shove a defender all the way under the basket.

I watched a little of the Illinois/Duke game and Bezhanishvili blasted his shoulder into the Duke defender's sternum and bounced him back two steps, then did it again with no call. If the defensive player had done that, they would have called a flagrant foul. I know that's called "B1G basketball," but it's no fun to watch.

Thanks for summarizing my post when I said “the gophers played good defense last night.
Actually I did not summarize your post which said we played good defense overall ... . I said the defense fell a little short of that description because we were outrebounded badly and gave up 18 second and third shots, many of which resulted in points for Iowa. When the other team brings the ball down the court and ends up scoring after one or more missed shots it is not good defense.

Top Bottom