Interesting Rivals report: Where was the best high school football in 2009 (by state)

Reaction score
rivals.com: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1185&CID=1018503

a pretty solid breakdown from rivals.com, imo.

the guy seems to think pretty highly of minnesota in terms of the midwest/big ten region. he has us as the #5 state within the big ten conference footprint (and #22 overall) in terms of the level of high school football that was played in 2009. has minnesota ahead of some "traditionally strong" high school football hotbeds such as alabama and missouri.

have to agree for the most part. what i take from this type of report is if we can really start getting more and more of the top MN guys to stay home there is no reason why we can't start breaking through into the top-tier of the big ten conference every few years.

overall (and especially at the big school 5A level) there is some pretty darn good high school football being played in minnesota, relative to our conference and conference peers.

I love how we are higher than all of our neighboring states...that to me is a plus

Interesting that Ohio is #3 on the list considering how many of the top players left the borders.

Interesting post. On a side note, I remember a few years back there was an interstate game between a MN and MO (maybe IL?) school (cannot remember who for the life of me) on FSN and the MN team was absolutely throttled. I want to say it was Benilde or Cretin, but I couldn't be sure.

as was noted in the OP and the author noted in his article this was about this year and this year only (the 2009 high school season). his rankings and breakdown were not about making references to the past.....that was not his point.

gophergod: most of us are all fully aware (based on your posting history) that you have a piss-poor view of minnesota high school football in general and basically think it/and the high school football culture stinks relative to the places you have lived in the past, but thanks for playing either way, bud. ;)

as was noted in the OP and the author noted in his article this was about this year and this year only (the 2009 high school season). his rankings and breakdown were not about making references to the past.....that was not his point.

gophergod: most of us are all fully aware (based on your posting history) that you have a piss-poor view of minnesota high school football in general and basically think it/and the high school football culture stinks relative to the places you have lived in the past, but thanks for playing either way, bud. ;)

I just simply asked if the author had data to validate his rankings as I could not find any references to it in the article. Without this it is just one authors opinion, which is fine but then take it for what it is worth.

Interesting post. On a side note, I remember a few years back there was an interstate game between a MN and MO (maybe IL?) school (cannot remember who for the life of me) on FSN and the MN team was absolutely throttled. I want to say it was Benilde or Cretin, but I couldn't be sure.

It was Becker against Rockhurst. They are pretty different as far as size and prestige goes.

It was Becker against Rockhurst. They are pretty different as far as size and prestige goes.

Yup, but didn't Rockhurst also play somebody like Minnetonka recently and issue a spanking as well?

Rockhurst, led by former Mizzou RB Tony Temple, defeated a pretty good Edina team back in 2002, by about 2 TD's. That Edina team was probably the 2nd best team in the state that year, but had EP in their section, which rolled them by 17 points in the section final.

Rockhurst also blasted Tonka recently, but it wasn't a great Tonka team by any means.

The Becker game was mentioned.

Cretin when down to Evangel Christian, I believe, when Raf. Eubanks was at Cretin. Evangel blasted Cretin pretty good by a good 30 points if I remember.....but Evangel Christian is one of the top programs in the country. It wasn't a surprising result by any means.

overall (and especially at the big school 5A level) there is some pretty darn good high school football being played in minnesota, relative to our conference and conference peers.

I played high school football in Ohio. I assure you there is nothing similar to the football played there and what is played here.

Ohio produces 150-200 D1 football players every year. What do we get here? Maybe 10? There is no comparison. HS football here is terrible.

I played high school football in Ohio. I assure you there is nothing similar to the football played there and what is played here.

Ohio produces 150-200 D1 football players every year. What do we get here? Maybe 10? There is no comparison. HS football here is terrible.

are you just trying to be dense here? i don't get what your point even is relative to what i wrote? i don't care if you played high school football in ohio or hollywood, ca of all places. that really has nothing to do with what i said. reading comprehension please. i said relative to our conference, but more importantly i also said relative to our conference peers (i.e. wisconsin and iowa).

but thanks for "assuring" me about good ole' ohio high school football (even though i didn't compare it to minnesota high school football) and just how super swell you think it is and how minnesota just plain sucks at everything. i feel so much better now having been educated by you and thank you for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

sarcastic (but justified) rant over

Which must explain why tOSU continues to recruit our best players. Seems like in a state with terrible football, our best players wouldn't be fit to polish Buckeye helmets.

Ugh, Settle down Francis.

I guess it's true that you can take the boy out of Ohio, but you can't take the Ohio out of the boy.

"I guess it's true that you can take the boy out of Ohio, but you can't take the Ohio out of the boy. "

I'm married to an OH girl (Hamiltucky) so I know what you're talking about. Its not limited to one gender. I don't know how many times I've been reminded about John Glenn, The Wright bros, or Woody Hayes (my wife had the same dorm room as Woody at Miami; albeit not at the same time)

Ohio also has a population 2-3x of our, so there's probably a lot more kids playing HS football. Hence, greater #'s getting schollies. Same thing for TX, FL, & CA. Doesn't explain the entire gap, but it has to be taken into account. Shooter had a blurb the other day that we had I think 7 HS players getting D1 offers this year. TX had 300. This year was an anomoly with Seantrel, but most years we'd be better off talentwise getting the #10 (or #25) kid out of Florida, Texas (or maybe even OH) over the top Minnesota player. Granted, from a PR standpoint that's a bad decision, but you can see why Brewster and his assistants spend so much time recruiting elsewhere.

As others have written, the biggest problem with MN HS FB is how poor the big city programs (particularly MPLS) are run. There's a lot of potential talent that isn't being developed. Yeah, Eden Prairie or CDH could probably hold their own with any HS team in Dallas, but any public MPLS/StP team would get humiliated. There's some good quality football being played outstate, but the numbers aren't there.

reading comprehension please. i said relative to our conference, but more importantly i also said relative to our conference peers (i.e. wisconsin and iowa).

Now I'm confused. You stated that "there is some pretty darn good high school football being played in minnesota, relative to our conference and conference peers."

Relative to our conference and conference peers leaves nothing open to interpretation. Historically, the high school football talent in MN ranks at the bottom of the conference, generally worse than WI and IA. I would agree that the gap between us and IA and WI (who apparently are our only "conference peers") has narrowed. But MN is not even comparable to OH, PA, MI, IL or IN. Do you disagree?

I find the Ohio rips humorous. I am not a native Ohioan, just spent my HS years there. Thanks for the rips, though.

Top Bottom