Interesting officiating...

festmeister

Reaction score
It is absolutely amazing how lopsided the foul calls are - LET THEM PLAY.

It was like watching the last minute of a game for an entire game.

It hurt us so much more since we were the more athletic team.

Some of the blame has to be shared with the Gophers for not adjusting to the officiating, but this game was officiated terribly.

We couldn't touch them without a whistle blowing. Luckily Joseph and Hoff made some VERY clutch 3-pointers to keep our lead comfortable down the stretch.

It wasn't necessarily favoring Butler, but it sure was odd. There were several plays on both sides that should have been fouls that weren't, and several more that weren't even close to a foul that were.

I'd say it was favoring them. Any time their player touched our player it was a foul against us. Absolutely ridiculous. Butler's offense was just hope for a foul and they got it every time.

It was great to see the Gophers pull it out and show our depth. When/if our suspended players come back it will be an unbelievable bench and I'm not sure who will be more athletic than we are. It really seems like the Big Ten is back as a national contender - not just Mich. St or some other misc. team from year to year.

It was disgusting, but Tubby didn't blame the refs after the game. I don't think I ever saw anything like it in my life. I had to leave the T.V. more than once. Some of those fouls never happened and other were meaningless brushes.

We all hate bad officiating. All we normally ask is that if you're going to call everything, then call it even. I think the refs did that tonight. The 5th foul on Howard (best player on Butler) happened on a drive where he never even touched our player (I think Westbrook). There was no flow to the game and the constant stopping made the game take much longer than usual. We should, however, remember we play in the Big Ten which is known for officiating that doesn't whistle a foul unless it draws blood. I just hope for a better game tomorrow.

At the same time there were a good 3 or so plays where we most certainly traveled on our way to the hoop (Westbrook and DJ had at least one each). Overall though I'd say a pretty poorly officiated game.

It wasn't blatantly in Butler's favor, they slipped about 3-4 on them in the opening 2 minutes of the second half that I thought were ridiculous. But they more then made up for it by calling us for breathing on them the entire last 15 minutes or so. In general it was just terribly officiated but only slightly in thier favor. That continuation they gave Howard was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

You obviously went to the bathroom during the baseline replay that clearly showed Westbrook take the body contact and still get the shot up. No surprise on that call other than a "superstar" like Howard would attempt the block from behind after being so badly burned on the drive.

I don't consider Ed Hightower to be a Big Ten ref, despite the striped shirt. He's more of a blight on the conference.

Continuation/travelling

Agreed that continuation call was the worst. That might not have counted in the NBA.

Have they changed what constitutes travelling? I'm happy they didn't call on DG or Westbrook but those were blatant travels.

I wanted to punch that weasel official who was under our bucket the 2nd half. He must have called 1/2 dozen phantom calls on us. Gopher win by 20 if that game is fairly officiated.

Other than a handful of plays, I didn't feel like the officiating favored anyone. To be honest, the Gophers rarely looked to the post in the last ten minutes of the game and that is where Butler kept drawing fouls.

I agree with you, Les, on the continuation calls and the travels. Also, I found that Howard's fifth foul was basically nothing. But, on that same note, he had one play where he spun under the basket a bit and the refs somehow called Devoe for a foul, when, according to replay, nobody was anywhere near touching him.

Just too touchy, but I don't think it favored anyone. Butler certainly took advantage of it more than we did, though.

I honestly think the officials made a conscience effort to take over the game, especially in the second half.

Top Bottom