Insight into Max Brosmer - GopherHole interview with his quarterback coach, Quincy Avery

GopherLady

Reaction score
Quincy Avery has coached some of the NFL's best quarterbacks like Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Jordan Love, Josh Dobbs, Geno Smith, DeShaun Watson, and Jalen Hurts. He has been coaching Gophers QB1 Max Brosmer since he was in the 7th grade, and gives insight into him, as well as his 1st client Josh Dobbs. Quincy sees this in a much different way than fans, from NIL to transfer portal and more. He sat down with me to give his insights ->

Mr. Avery sounds like a great success story.

Max is most talented passer in portal and not close, including Gabriel and McCord? Regardless love his film and excited for potential next year.

Dobbs absolutely should have been pulled. Waits for players to get open and takes sacks. Is not extremely accurate at all. Line didn’t play well either, injuries, new to system etc. Maybe teams are figuring him out. Mullens took command and could tell difference in the offense in only a few series.

Last edited:

Max Brosmer

Best 2023 college quarterback?

or

Best ever 2023 college quarterback?

So what I'm hearing is that Gophers are going to run the gauntlet and win the B1G if our new D coordinator delivers. Offense should be lights out.

Listening between the lines he said some interesting things about AK’s performance last year. This is worth a listen. Thanks Nadine.

Folks who didn't like the offense last year might want to give a close listen starting at 5:28

I found one particular minute, from about 9:00 to 10:00, to be really interesting.
HOLY COW. Great interview from an outsider who could SORT of say what the coaches can’t say. He was very polit and cautious, but in so many words he said:
  1. Staff wanted to do things differently on offense last year but couldn’t…and the QB was a big part of that.
  2. They’ve told Max things will be different next year and sold him on Harbaugh’s vision.
  3. Max can do things at the LOS the O didn’t consistently do last year like more advanced checks, recognizing pressure, and hitting hot routes.

Basically admitting, in a tactful way, that there were plenty of opportunities missed. We all knew that, but it's interesting to hear a professional outsider saying the same thing.

Yes.

His takes on watching film and seeing defenders repeatedly get a free run at the QB, and watching while the QB does not throw to, or even seem to recognize, the 'hot' receiver... it sounded like what I was watching repeatedly this past season. If there was ever any kind of pressure, I would cover my eyes for the inevitable, impending sack (or worse).

He even said he asked the coaches if this could possibly be part of their scheme, and if the QB simply has no authorization to check down. He said the coaches assured him that the scheme had built-in contingencies for extra pressure.

The other question is why wasn’t AK one of his students or why didn’t his parents reach out to him? Or, did AK have another guru on his team?

The other question is why wasn’t AK one of his students or why didn’t his parents reach out to him? Or, did AK have another guru on his team?

Or, why wasn't anyone on the Gophers staff able to coach Kaliakmanis up on this stuff?

Maybe they tried, and it just didn't happen with #8. I mean, I would think that understanding a 'hot' route, and/or check-down receiver, is a part of playing QB on pretty much every offense run by every football team. It seems basic/elementary.

I'll be interested to see how Athan does at his next stop.

Last edited:

This was a very insightful interview. Confirms what many of us saw with the eye test in games. Hopefully with a fresh start AK can grow. Seems like a good kid. It just didn't work out here the way we all hoped.

Or, why wasn't anyone on the Gophers staff able to coach Kaliakmanis up on this stuff?

Maybe they tried, and it just didn't happen with #8. I mean, I would think that understanding a 'hot' route, and/or check-down receiver, is a part of playing QB on pretty much every offense run by every football team. It seems basic/elementary.

I'll be interested to see how Athan does at his next stop.
I’ve often wondered too why the coaches weren’t better preparing AK to better handle pressure situations. Admittedly, I put the blame on Harbaugh since he was both the QB coach and OC. But I’ve rethought and AK probably was more responsible for the breakdowns.

One indication of what that may have been hard was that AK sometimes just laughed off bad plays, instead of rallying the players and use some on field coaching to correct it. He just didn’t seem to have the leadership skills to do it.

I’ve often wondered too why the coaches weren’t better preparing AK to better handle pressure situations. Admittedly, I put the blame on Harbaugh since he was both the QB coach and OC. But I’ve rethought and AK probably was more responsible for the breakdowns.

One indication of what that may have been hard was that AK sometimes just laughed off bad plays, instead of rallying the players and use some on field coaching to correct it. He just didn’t seem to have the leadership skills to do it.
Laughing things off can be an anxiety-driven response to stress. I say that because flinging the ball 100 mph to a guy 4 yards away or sailing it 10 yards over a guy's head would also indicate anxiousness. In practice he was relaxed and could make those throws. In games, it didn't translate, especially with any kind of pressure.

Mr. Avery sounds like a great success story.

Max is most talented passer in portal and not close, including Gabriel and McCord? Regardless love his film and excited for potential next year.

Dobbs absolutely should have been pulled. Waits for players to get open and takes sacks. Is not extremely accurate at all. Line didn’t play well either, injuries, new to system etc. Maybe teams are figuring him out. Mullens took command and could tell difference in the offense in only a few series.
Why are you including Dobbs and Mullins? They are in NFL. We are talking College QBs? This is a college team.

Why are you including Dobbs and Mullins? They are in NFL. We are talking College QBs? This is a college team.
Considering the interview included Dobbs and the Vikings it was relevent. I did not give the interview.

Many out here will be enamored with the UNH transfer until he has a hiccup

Many out here will be enamored with the UNH transfer until he has a hiccup

Many will hope that the UNH transfer will be an overall improvement at QB from what we saw at the position in 2023.

I'm talking about the 'tall, big-armed, mobile' guy who... well... underwhelmed.

Many will hope that the UNH transfer will be an overall improvement at QB from what we saw at the position in 2023.

I'm talking about the 'tall, big-armed, mobile' guy who... well... underwhelmed.
Good for you. Wasn't talking about AK.

I don’t think a guy like Daniel Jackson sticks around if he doesn’t believe the coaches don’t want to open it up more. Fingers crossed.

I might be misremembering, but hasn't Daniel stated that he's definitely coming back?
Yes, the fingers crossed was for them actually opening up the offense. Just because they say it doesn't mean it will happen. But guys like Jackson sticking around makes me believe they are going to try.

Top Bottom