Insight Bowl Bound?

Iowa State??

Which Big 12 team do most people expect to be picked for the Insight Bowl?" It would be great if the Gophers could play Iowa State.

I remain unconvinced that the Alamo is going to automatically select MSU over Minnesota. I know they've passed on us several times but MSU had a pitiful travel contingent to the CapOne bowl last year and they didn't exactly set the world on fire with the way they ended the season either.

If I were laying money I'd still put it on MSU to go to the Alamo but I don't think it's a slam dunk like everyone else does.

I doubt it. MSU finished with a better conference record. And generally, bowl committees like to pick teams that have something resembling an offense. You're right, though, that MSU gets a lot more credit for traveling to bowl games than they deserve. When we got screwed in 2003 and MSU went to the Alamo bowl (granted, they beat us that year) there were a ton of unsold MSU tickets, And the Spartans never got off the bus in that game vs. Nebraskduh.

A lot of the pundits are picking TX Tech to go to San Antonio. They would destroy us. It would be ironic, though, if TxTech was responsible for getting two Gopher football coaches S-canned. Although if Maturi is going to kick Brewster to the curb (which I doubt), I would hope he pulls the trigger now, rather than waiting until some 20 year old kicks a winning FG on New Year's eve like he did last time.

The latest CBS predictions have the Gophers vs. Mizzou in the Insight. Decent matchup. They also have Notre Dame filling the Big Ten's 7th slot in the Pizza Bowl, which makes me chuckle.

I'll be excited for an Insight Bowl. I'm down there from 12/26 until 1/2, so I'm going to the Insight Bowl regardless if Minnesota is in it. It would be nice though. If not, I'd have no problem cheering for Michigan State in my Minnesota sweatshirt. I have no hate for MSU.

I went to the Insight Bowl the last year it was at BankOne Ballpark when Arizona State played Rutgers. I liked the uniqueness of the football game in the baseball ballpark and wish they did that again. If you're going to have a bowl game with 6-6 or 7-5 teams, have something cool to attract attention to it. I liked watching Cal vs. Miami last year when they played at Pac Bell...

There's my idea for mid-tier bowls....play them in baseball stadiums. Minute Maid in Houston, the Ballpark in Arlington. We're there because we love our team, not because we have a crazy thought that our team is anything more than a mid-tier bowl team. Let everyone have some fun! :clap:

Si.com has MN vs Missou as well...

I selfishly would like this matchup, as I have a brother and Nieces/Families in St. Louis and Columbia. Could make for a good family bet. Needless to say, there would be some family Smack Talk (friendly of course :))
GO GOPHERS!

From what I hear, it comes down to this:

The Big Ten will have two BCS teams. If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma, Okie State goes to the Fiesta Bowl as the replacement for Texas, and the Orange Bowl will take Penn State. If Oklahoma wins, the Big 12 only gets one BCS team (barring Nebraska upsetting Texas in the B12 title game) and the Fiesta Bowl will take Iowa. Either way, this puts us in the Insight Bowl, because we all know the Alamo wants no part of Minnesota.

If Oklahoma wins and finishes 7-5, they would probably move ahead of 8-4 Missouri in the pecking order: Okie State to the Cotton, Nebraska to the Holiday, Texas Tech to the Alamo, Oklahoma to the Sun, Missouri to the Insight, Texas A&M to the Texas, Iowa State to the Independence.

In the event of an Okie State win, that bumps everyone up a notch in the Big 12 pecking order. Nebraska to the Cotton, Texas Tech to the Holiday, Missouri to the Alamo. Then there's a glut of 6-6 teams: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Iowa State. Oklahoma, obviously, would be the most attractive and would go to the Sun, leaving the Insight to choose between A&M and ISU. A&M is more desirable, but they would likely rather play closer to home in the Texas Bowl, and it's not like ISU would travel poorly to Tempe, so I believe a deal would be arranged for the Insight to snag Iowa State.

Top Bottom