Inside the Film Room: Examining the Gophers' 23-19 loss to Iowa

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The latest "Inside the Film Room" has been posted and is available to read on the GopherHole front page. Due to some technical difficulties with the new forum, I have to post a link to it. Please comment with your thoughts and questions in this thread and I'll be happy to reply like always! Thanks!

Here's the link to the full breakdown: https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/1066122

video credit in the article: Fox and NCAA - intended for fair use

Last edited:

Great stuff as always Daniel. Can't make that many mistakes on the road against a good team and hope to win. The fact that we even had a shot to win it at the end was pretty shocking given how poorly we played.

Outstanding. With all credit due to Iowa this is definitely one that got away for lack of execution on a play here, or a play there. I’m still having a hangover, grumbling about the errors and mistakes three days later. The only cure is a Badger L at TCF.

Nice work Daniel and much appreciated.

Thanks again Daniel. One thing I noticed on the Braelen Oliver sack (last gif). It looked like the back blocked somewhat correctly by running Oliver past, but my original thought was why Stanley basically ran right into Oliver instead of stepping up into the pocket. Because Devers blew up the opposite side and forced Stanley into Oliver.

Edit: The back did get beat worse than I originally thought.

Daniel's work is always great.

I just can't bring myself to watch this one ;)

Thanks for reading, everyone! He maybe could felt the pocket better, but with the stunt taking place inside, he probably thought rolling out would have given him a chance to extend the play. If not, he could just take the sack and not make a big mistake. Oliver did a nice job of continuing to fight through the initial block and ended up in his lap very quickly. This front caused just enough confusion and created a different look.

Thanks again Daniel. One thing I noticed on the Braelen Oliver sack (last gif). It looked like the back blocked somewhat correctly by running Oliver past, but my original thought was why Stanley basically ran right into Oliver instead of stepping up into the pocket. Because Devers blew up the opposite side and forced Stanley into Oliver.

Edit: The back did get beat worse than I originally thought.

The NASCAR package was popularized by the Giants back in the Tom Coughlin era. It basically means you're getting all of your pass rushers on the field together and pulling out traditional interior defensive tackles. Any time you see speed/pass rushers coming onto the field, it's the NASCAR look. It helps you get your best pass rushers on the field when you need to create some pressure.

Do tell me more about the NASCAR package?

Who had contain responsibility on that long Iowa run in the first quarter off the pitch left? Was it the DE or the LB?

I get it! A few mistakes on a couple plays really swayed the outcome of this game. The execution was off in the first half, which put the Gophers in an uphill climb for most of the day. As I noted in my post, the weird thing is how they ended up winning almost all of the key game metrics.

They particularly dominated the second half in EPA, per CollegeFootballData:

Third quarter: 0.52 to -0.15
Fourth quarter: 0.29 to -0.45

Success Rate:

Third quarter: 53% to 33%
Fourth quarter: 40% to 22%

They still had a chance to win at the end. The slow start was a big difference because it not only changed Minnesota's style, but allowed the Hawkeyes to start cranking up their pass rush. The Gophers also made adequate adjustments at halftime, but just couldn't quite pull out of the hole. I liked how they responded in the second half. If the 4th-and-4 drop didn't happen, I really wonder how the game would have turned out.

Daniel's work is always great.

I just can't bring myself to watch this one ;)

I wish we had an end zone camera for film, but the edge looked like it needed to be held by the DE and then the linebacker also bit downhill. Minnesota's defense was caught off guard because Iowa mixed it up with some misdirection/toss after running stretch zone. The Gophers were defending the run and brought Winfield Jr. into the box to help on the edge. This means you're relying on a combination of your backside defensive end and linebacker to hold the edge/force the run inside. It's a tough ask because the Hawkeyes simply caught the Gophers in a favorable look. There was no help on the perimeter and that's a long run for the linebacker, especially if he gets caught downhill a little. This type of rushing concept creativity was a clear strength of Iowa's gameplan.

Who had contain responsibility on that long Iowa run in the first quarter off the pitch left? Was it the DE or the LB?

I get it! A few mistakes on a couple plays really swayed the outcome of this game. The execution was off in the first half, which put the Gophers in an uphill climb for most of the day. As I noted in my post, the weird thing is how they ended up winning almost all of the key game metrics.

They particularly dominated the second half in EPA, per CollegeFootballData:

Third quarter: 0.52 to -0.15
Fourth quarter: 0.29 to -0.45

Success Rate:

Third quarter: 53% to 33%
Fourth quarter: 40% to 22%

They still had a chance to win at the end. The slow start was a big difference because it not only changed Minnesota's style, but allowed the Hawkeyes to start cranking up their pass rush. The Gophers also made adequate adjustments at halftime, but just couldn't quite pull out of the hole. I liked how they responded in the second half. If the 4th-and-4 drop didn't happen, I really wonder how the game would have turned out.
The slow start as well as uncharacteristically not being able to get into the end zone and having to settle for field goals.

Analytical. Insightful. Smart. Well structured. I don't know of anyone doing what you do, Daniel. This is nothing short of amazing, and as someone said on a previous occasion, you are a Gopherhole treasure. Thank you.

That's very kind of you to say! I really appreciate the support. I'm glad you are enjoying the posts. My goal is to simplify this down enough for fans to think about the game from different perspectives.

Analytical. Insightful. Smart. Well structured. I don't know of anyone doing what you do, Daniel. This is nothing short of amazing, and as someone said on a previous occasion, you are a Gopherhole treasure. Thank you.

That's very kind of you to say! I really appreciate the support. I'm glad you are enjoying the posts. My goal is to simplify this down enough for fans to think about the game from different perspectives.
And that is what you are doing at least for my mind. I'm actually looking at specific players and situations now instead of "Yay-touchdown us", or "Dammit-touchdown them". I did actually notice their LB get drawn in on an RPO play for touchdown in real time. It was one of your gifs too.

Thanks again.

Very happy to hear this! That's the goal. Question for all of you: would you have any interest in participating if I held a weekly live chat in the forum and answered questions for like 30-45 minutes?

And that is what you are doing at least for my mind. I'm actually looking at specific players and situations now instead of "Yay-touchdown us", or "Dammit-touchdown them". I did actually notice their LB get drawn in on an RPO play for touchdown in real time. It was one of your gifs too.

Thanks again.

I wish we had an end zone camera for film, but the edge looked like it needed to be held by the DE and then the linebacker also bit downhill.

All game or for any specific play? I was directly behind the camera well in the south end zone and recorded the sack that proved to be the backbreaker. I can send it to you but I warn you that you may not like it; I'm an Iowa fan who came to wish you luck and ended up talking football, lol.

The reason people keep bringing up the turnovers and also why I think it was more heartbreaking, is because you guys EASILY played well enough to take this road game. I put it on your OL. That last INT really shouldn't be counted, as he was launching it blindly at the single-covered guy, but TOs happen when plays aren't allowed to develop. Another thing I know is that no team can go 9-0 without a great line against ANY competition, much less B1G. I'm glad you guys didn't drop significantly and absolutely control your own destiny. I'm rooting for you as if you were us against Wisconsin, lmao.

Top Bottom