Inside the CFP expansion debate

Eight-team format is more fair than six-team. Everybody plays. Nobody sits with a bye while the future lesser opponent gets gassed an extra game with possibility of injuries. You might as well stick to a four-team format.

let's just make it 64 teams then (the rough number of bowls). Seems fine then.

If you want 16 teams, sure fine. I don't. If team 13 vs 14 ends up as a blowout, it's not a big deal, but if the top 4 seeds all win by 30 and the next 4 seeds win one score games, you're diluting the game to unnecessary levels when in reality, you know that the top 8 teams, generally speaking, are better than the next 8 (and particularly the top 2-5 in any given year). that's my opinion.
I’m fine with 64. I’d prefer less

but I feel 12-16 is all you need to eliminate the possibility of an unbeaten team being left out. Which is what I think is most important. That’s just my opinion.

I’m fine with 64. I’d prefer less

but I feel 12-16 is all you need to eliminate the possibility of an unbeaten team being left out. Which is what I think is most important. That’s just my opinion.
I guarantee you with 8 teams, no unbeaten is left out. Go back as far as you want and find a scenario where with 8 teams, including 1 non power 5, an unbeaten would be left out. Your being delusional.

When number 8 faces Bama they could put together some great playoff highlight videos like this one:

Because the 8th ranked team could never beat the 1st ranked team? Ever?

Kind of like how a 16 seed would never beat a 1 seed right...

I guarantee you with 8 teams, no unbeaten is left out. Go back as far as you want and find a scenario where with 8 teams, including 1 non power 5, an unbeaten would be left out. Your being delusional.
Let me go all the way back and let you know a scenario when an unbeaten could’ve been left out.

Let’s go back to 2020 when Coastal Carolina would’ve been left out because Cincinnati took the non power 5 spot and were not rated top 8 to get an at large.

I am being delusional?

Agree with the crowd saying 8 is best. No byes is much more fair.

The only thing I'd like to see is no conference gets more than 2 teams. I don't want 3+ SEC teams. I don't care if the 3rd SEC team is better than alternatives.

Agree with the crowd saying 8 is best. No byes is much more fair.

The only thing I'd like to see is no conference gets more than 2 teams. I don't want 3+ SEC teams. I don't care if the 3rd SEC team is better than alternatives.
That would defeat the purpose of expanding the playoffs.

Top Bottom