Inquiry: what's the lowdown on incoming freshmen?

Observation: This class sounds like it's long on "walking" and short on "running/athletic ability."

That being said, if Nolen isn't back running this team next season, they will NOT make the NCAA tourney. My prediction, so mark it down and give me grief at the end of the season if I'm wrong (as I know you will).

Joseph is NOT a legitimate PG and should go back to his SG role with back up duties at PG in IMHO. As for 2011-12 season, Tubby and Co better hit that recruiting trail, hard especially at the JUCO level.

I'd guess Al Nolen will see 25-30 minutes PT at PG with Devoe Joseph getting 10-15 minutes as his back-up PG.

That is easily the best option for the Gophers. Allows you to put Blake at the 3, and have Rodney possibly be your 6th man. However, it does mean more minutes for a freshman back up PG, as Devoe can't play the entire game. You can back up Blake with Rodney, Devoe with Blake and Hollins, and Al with Devoe. But when Devoe needs a break, it will be Ahnamisi or Stark in the game.

HOWEVER, it is still not the best lineup for Devoe Joseph. Devoe is begining to improve greatly at PG, and if he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to show that he can play PG in order to avoid the Randy Foye syndrome. He does this by spending a year almost exclusivley at PG.

That being said, if Devoe stays an additional year (which I believe he will, barring an overly unreal performance this year, but ya never know.) then Al graduates (or simply runs out of eligability, one of the two) and Devoe becomes the starting PG. With the Gophers current targets for 2011 all SG/SF prospects and no legitimate starting PG's on the roster other than Devoe and Al. Devoe is the likely starting PG in 2011, just need to find a decent back up for him.

Gerald Fitch at UK (under Tubby) was SG as frosh and soph, then moved to PG as junior (due to ineligibility of PG Cliff Hawkins). Back to SG as senior. Made NBA (briefly) playing both positions.

Gerald Fitch at UK (under Tubby) was SG as frosh and soph, then moved to PG as junior (due to ineligibility of PG Cliff Hawkins). Back to SG as senior. Made NBA (briefly) playing both positions.

I know it is possible, and i'd love to see Devoe do it, because he is a very good off the ball guard.

I think it increases his chances if he is able to play PG, and prove that he can. He could absolutley get drafted as a PG after playing SG in college though. If he wants to play SG in the NBA, I don't think teams will find it ideal to put a 6'3" 180 Lb. SG on the likes of Kobe Bryant, Dewayne Wade , etc. Unless that team has a PG who has size and could guard the SG on deffense (i.e. John Wall). Unless Devoe adds significant muscle, as there are 6-4, 6-5 SG's in the NBA.

I know Devoe has the talent potential to be a quality PG or SG in the NBA, but he becomes a defensive liability if he is going to try and cover NBA 2-guards.

He's actually NOT even a PG. His primary role in HS was SG. He is a "combo" guard (plays 1 and 2) just like Justin Cobbs was/is.

His one year at Stoneridge Prep - Simi Valley, Calif. Maverick was a combo/SG. His primary roll during his three years on varsity at Golden Valley High School in Santa Clarita, Calif. was PG.

"Joseph. ... should go back to his SG role with back up duties at PG."

I agree. Gophers' best lineup will have Al at the point and Devoe at the 2. If it doesn't happen right away, Al will be back in the starting lineup in short order. The Gophers need Al in the starting lineup & Devoe is much more suited for the 2. Easy solution for Tubby. I like that guard combo.

I agree, but I am not sure it's an easy solution. If Devoe and Al both start, then their substitutions will always have to be staggered so one of the two can be on the floor at all times. If we were going to bring in a last minute guard, it needed to be a pure pg who could handle the ball and defend the ball.

I think it's silly to talk about Devoe's NBA options until he shows A LOT MORE. I realize Devoe has NBA dreams (and I don't want players that don't think they will get there), but Manny Harris didn't get drafted this year. I think a player has to show a lot more than Devoe has before the coaching staff should take in to account what is best for the kids NBA future.

This team is going to look so different than last year: significantly less depth and no versatile swingmen. I think we could see significant improvements from Ralph and/or Colton as big men usually develop late and we may have to hope that is the case.

His one year at Stoneridge Prep - Simi Valley, Calif. Maverick was a combo/SG. His primary roll during his three years at Golden Valley High School in Santa Clarita, Calif. was PG.

Actually not - he was primarily SG in HS. He played some PG at Stoneridge and for Branch West AAU.

Clipped from article (senior year in HS) below:

It's no coincidence the first three letters of Maverick Ahanmisi's last name are "Aha." On Tuesday night in Golden Valley's Southern Section Div.III-A quarterfinal win over Foothill, Ahanmisi did everything but pull a rabbit out of a hat.

The Grizzlies' two-way threat had 41 points and five steals in the team's 75-72 victory, which sets them up with a semifinal matchup with either top-seeded Diamond Ranch or Gahr of Cerritos.

Ahanmisi's fadeaway off-balance 3-pointer with two seconds left on the shot clock and just over a minute left in the second quarter that gave No.4-seed Golden Valley a 35-25 lead. Then he made another 3-pointer in similar fashion - falling off to the side - as the first half expired.

And he did it with a fever of more than 103 degrees. "After the second 3, the crowd just erupted, and that made me feel like I was on fire," said Ahanmisi, who left the game in the third quarter with leg cramps. "It's the adrenaline, though. When I was out there, I really didn't realize how sick I was."

Ahanmisi had 25 points and four steals in the first-half as the Grizzlies forced the Knights into 11 turnovers. Ahanmisi caught fire in the second half, with five 3-pointers and 19 of the Grizzlies' 22 points in the second quarter, as they built their lead to 38-27.

"That's the rock of this program for three years now," Golden Valley coach Chris Printz said of Ahanmisi. "I've seen him do some amazing things, but that was ridiculous. If this was three years ago and he was a sophomore, I'd probably kill him for taking those shots. Now, I'm gonna let him do his thing."

Every one of Ahanmisi's points was needed, as Foothill stormed back from a 19-point deficit to make it as close as one late in the fourth quarter. With Ahanmisi leading the Grizzlies (27-3) on the perimeter, teammate Trevor Wiseman did the dirty work down low. Wiseman had 17 points and 13 rebounds for Golden Valley before fouling out with 4:48 remaining, while Jay Filley led Foothill (19-10) with 18 points.

Still, despite a crucial performance of his own, Wiseman was simply dumbfounded by Ahanmisi. "The past few games, he just hasn't missed," Wiseman said. "I don't know what's up with him. He can shoot from anywhere. It's like, 'Wow, how did he do that?"'

Actually not - he was primarily SG in HS. He played some PG at Stoneridge and for Branch West AAU.

Clipped from article (senior year in HS) below:

Primarily point guard, including high school and AAU until after senior year at Golden Valley. Then played more off guard in AAU and the position of watch-Enes-do-his-thing for a few games at Stoneridge.

Also, he was at Golden Valley for 4 years. Didn't play varsity freshman year, though.

In the words of Bob Gottlieb a couple of months ago, "“Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point. Last summer, we moved him to the off guard in order to take advantage of his vast scoring skills."

While looking up the point guard vs. shooting guard debate, I ended up at Branch West web site. While not learning much about which specific position Maverick played, they do now have a lengthy article about him, due to his success on grabbing a scholarship. One part of the informational piece really stood out. Tubby Smith himself spent most of the day with Maverick and then brought him into the office, and without ever
seeing him play in person (they did not ask him to work out while on the visit), they offered him a scholarship (highly unusual).
Maverick was so excited he wanted to sign right there and then, but Tubby advised him to return home, sit down and discuss
this with his family, and then if he wanted to come to Minnesota, they would love to have him.

Knowing their team for next year, they are loaded with at least four 7'0" athletes and badly needed a quality guard.
I expect Maverick to play 15-20 min/g and possibly start before the season is over.

This is what the Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service is all about. Kids that are talented but under recruited and
for us to be able to make a difference.
Not having him work out? Bob expects 15-20 minutes and maybe start? I guess we'll know if Bob is correct soon enough. http://www.branchwest.com/

He's actually NOT even a PG.

Maverick actually IS a PG.

He is 6'-1 1/2" at best and shoots nearly flat footed.

Somewhat comical article (unintentionally) I came across some time back - http://www.the-signal.com/archives/9853/

The television program, “CSI,” chose the school as a location to shoot a scene for one of its episodes.

Ahanmisi, today the valley’s premier guard, was clearly uncomfortable.

Just a baby-faced sophomore, he didn’t respond well to interview questions.

He gave one-word answers with no eye contact.

Two years later, the son of a Nigerian father and Filipino mother, has been seen pumping his fists.

He’ll smirk.

And he even gives celebratory roars.

He has evolved.

Ahanmisi has even displayed some individuality on the court.

He wears socks with pinks and purples. Some of his teammates have even adopted the practice.

Ahanmisi is now setting an example.

He’s a shower, not a talker.

Somewhat comical article (unintentionally) I came across some time back - http://www.the-signal.com/archives/9853/

The television program, “CSI,” chose the school as a location to shoot a scene for one of its episodes.

Two years later, the son of a Nigerian father and Filipino mother, has been seen pumping his fists.

He’ll smirk.

He has evolved.

He wears socks with pinks and purples. Some of his teammates have even adopted the practice.

He'll play both spots at Minnesota just like AAU and Prep. In HS he was a scorer, not PG.

PG generally runs the offense and distributes to ball TO scorers.

He’ll smirk.

He has evolved.

From that same article ...

The 6-foot-1-inch combo guard will leave Golden Valley as its all-time leading scorer and 3-point shooter.

I think that should help clarify his position.

While looking up the point guard vs. shooting guard debate, I ended up at Branch West web site. While not learning much about which specific position Maverick played, they do now have a lengthy article about him, due to his success on grabbing a scholarship. One part of the informational piece really stood out. Tubby Smith himself spent most of the day with Maverick and then brought him into the office, and without ever
seeing him play in person (they did not ask him to work out while on the visit), they offered him a scholarship (highly unusual).
Maverick was so excited he wanted to sign right there and then, but Tubby advised him to return home, sit down and discuss
this with his family, and then if he wanted to come to Minnesota, they would love to have him.

Knowing their team for next year, they are loaded with at least four 7'0" athletes and badly needed a quality guard.
I expect Maverick to play 15-20 min/g and possibly start before the season is over.

This is what the Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service is all about. Kids that are talented but under recruited and
for us to be able to make a difference.
Not having him work out? Bob expects 15-20 minutes and maybe start? I guess we'll know if Bob is correct soon enough. http://www.branchwest.com/

From your link, clipped:

Maverick Ahanmisi, outstanding shooting guard from Golden Valley H.S. two years ago, visited the prestigious Big 10 school Minnesota, last Wednesday and was offered a full basketball scholarship by Head Coach Tubby Smith.

The recruiting process was not an easy road for Maverick. Unless you are a super prospect that everybody wants, it never is. When quality athletes are on the bubble of being recruited at the mid or hi major levels, usually it involves finding a school that really needs what you bring to the table. Minnesota needed a hi quality combo gd who could really shoot and score.

Maverick is a highly talented scoring combo guard. Probably the best shooter we have had at Branch West in the last 10 years. Maverick averaged close to 23 ppg as a senior in high school, including a 41 point explosion in the CIF playoffs vs. Foothill H.S. (OC). He literally shot the lights out for Branch West last summer including 37 vs. Joe Ward's All Stars from Phoenix. (including ten 3 pointers) A great many D1 coaches were in attendance at that game, but it was late in the
recruiting process and very few still had scholarships left at that point.

However, the Head Coach of Boise State Greg Graham, fell in love with him, had a scholarship left, and flew Maverick to Idaho in the WAC Conference, and offered him a scholarship. Maverick was going to accept as he liked the school and the program, however, they discovered that his paperwork for the NCAA Clearinghouse was not complete.

Though he was over a 3.0 gpa student and solid SAT scores, without Clearinghouse approval, a college may not extend an athlete a scholarship.

The family quickly completed the paperwork, but were informed that the Clearinghouse had a major backlog, mostly due to football, and that it would likely be a month to two months before they got the approval.

Dad would have had to pay $10,000 towards the cost of his schooling until the school received NCAA Clearinghouse Approval, and only then could he be put on athletic scholarship. Dad turned it down. This was in August.

We (meaning his dad primarily-with my advice) decided to put Maverick into prep school and reopen the recruiting process. SMU and Weber State tried to sign him in November and he opted to wait until the spring and see what else developed.

His dad decide to formally retain BG and the Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service last December. His dad asked me to put together a new film package for Maverick, which included his 41 pt. explosion in the CIF Playoffs vs. Foothill H.S. (OC) in Spring 2009, but mostly some of his truly superb games playing for Branch West, mostly from last summer, but we subsequently added some excellent film from this spring.

Pacific and St. Mary's both showed great interest as did a number of other schools. Pacific ended up offering another guard who took it, and St. Mary's was hoping a scholarship would open up. A number of schools such as St. Louis and Loyola of Chicago also began to show significant interest.

However at the Final Four, BG ran into Joe Esposito, Administrative Assistant at Minnesota, and formerly the Head Coach at Angelo State in Texas, where some years ago, he had taken a guard from Alaska who had turned out real well.

As we talked and I asked what they were still looking for, he indicated that they badly needed a quality guard, a combo guard or a point guard. They had pursued the best guard in the country, Cory Joseph from Findlay Prep and had lost him to Texas.

Not only that, but Justin Cobb from Bishop Montgomery here in LA, had shown real promise, but became disenchanted when he only played 10 minutes/g as a freshman and he had decided to transfer to Cal in the Pac 10.

Every year I attend the NCAA Final. Have missed once since 1968. Though it's been a while, I was an NCAA D1 coach for 15 years (Creighton, Kansas State, Long Beach State and Oregon State as an assistant and 7 years as a Head Coach
at Jacksonville and the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee)

Most college coaches at all levels throughout the USA, attend the Final Four as the Annual NABC Convention is always held at the same time in the same town as the Final Four. It's also a dead week in recruiting.

I have been and still am a member, for 42 years. Most coaches use the convention to assist in looking for a better job. The relationships you make there are invaluable professionally to college coaches of every level, and many high school
coaches attend as well.

I, on the other hand use it to primarily promote the many athletes we are formally involved in their recruiting . I use it to identify schools that still need players, and which position they are looking for, and to recommend and promote our many client athletes.

When I told Joe Esposito of Maverick and described him as a player and as a person, he became highly interested and asked that we send him Maverick's film package as soon as we got back to California. Duquesne, Tulane, Miami and Florida State were other schools that we met that also requested Maverick's films.

Once Joe Esposito received the films back home in Minnesota, he watched them himself and fell in love with Maverick and called BG immediately. He then turned them over to Ron Jursa, their Recruiting Coordinator and he watched them and was equally impressed. They both indicated that Head Coach Tubby Smith was out of town but was due back in the office in a
couple of days and he would look at them himself.

Tubby not only looked at the films, and also fell in love with Maverick, as a player. He immediately personally called BG. We have known each other casually for some 30 years, but got to know each other much better when he was the Head Coach at Kentucky and was recruiting former Branch West star big man Deon Thompson.

Kentucky came a close 2nd to North Carolina with Deon. I was asked by Deon's mom to sit in on all his home visits and was exceptionally impressed by Tubby Smith, the man. He is about as classy as it gets. Comes from a family of 17 children. Great role model.

When Tubby called, he told me that he loved what he saw on the films. However, he wanted to know, what was he really like as a young man? What was his family background? What else could he do besides shoot? Tell me about his ball handling. Could he play the point guard as well as the shooting guard. Tell about his speed, his size, his mental and physical toughness.

Maverick is one of the best we have had here at Branch West as an all around outstanding offensive player, and maybe the best end of the game shooter/scorer that I have ever coached.

Not only that, he is bright, picks up everything extremely quickly, plays within himself and is a delightful young man to be around and to coach. We have exceptional mutual respect as far as player/coach relationship, as well as with his dad Victor Ahanmisi.

Tubby decided to bring Maverick in for an official paid visit last Wednesday. Usually a Head Coach meets the young man and they assign an assistant to show him around.

Tubby Smith himself spent most of the day with Maverick and then brought him into the office, and without ever seeing him play in person (they did not ask him to work out while on the visit), they offered him a scholarship (highly unusual). Maverick was so excited he wanted to sign right there and then, but Tubby advised him to return home, sit down and discuss this with his family, and then if he wanted to come to Minnesota, they would love to have him.

This is what the Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service is all about. Kids that are talented but under recruited and for us to be able to make a difference.

This is similar to the recruiting of Taylor Rochestie 6'1" from Santa Barbara H.S.. With no D1 offers, we were able to get Taylor recruited to Tulane initially, and later on to Washington State (after Katrina shut down Tulane for an entire year). Taylor was a 4 year college starter. At Tulane, he came in 3rd in the Freshman of the Year balloting for the WAC. At Washington State,
he led the Cougars to two consecutive NCAA Tournaments and was All Pac 10 his senior, scoring 33 pts vs. UCLA in Pauley Pavilion against Darren Collison, and led Wash. St. to only their 2nd win in 50 years over UCLA in Pauley Pavilion. Taylor played very well with the Lakers Summer League team in Las Vegas last summer, and now is averaging 17 ppg in Germany and making excellent money and might be brought back by the Lakers several years down the road as some of
their older current retire or are let go.

Maverick Ahanmisi is way more advanced than Taylor was at a similar stage in their careers. It remains to be seen if he can have the same outstanding career in college, that Taylor had.

I am not sure how Maverick will do on the court. No idea really.

But. From reading the articles about him, his coaches love how he plays, but more than that, they love the type of person, role model, and leader that he is. I am excited to see him in maroon and gold as he at least appears to have a level head on his shoulders and seems to have a lot of potential. If he has a quality career here, it will be a very good story that hopefully extends to team success on the court.

Note: His primarily position in high school was point guard and FOT claims he is not even a point guard... That statement is bullsh*t.

Read the clipped article that I posted above. HIS AAU COACH SAID HE PLAYED SHOOTING GUARD IN HS.

Maverick Ahanmisi, outstanding shooting guard from Golden Valley H.S. two years ago, visited the prestigious Big 10 school Minnesota, last Wednesday and was offered a full basketball scholarship by Head Coach Tubby Smith.

Sheesh!

Okay, Friend of Tubby, personally, I really don't care what he's labeled, but you're quoting what "BOB" says. Bob is a recruiting service guy. He'll say anything for the most part for his guys. You need a big power forward? Sure we have just the kid for you! My point is this, Minnesota needs something, he's going to push his kid to be that whether he truly is or not. That's his job. I hope Maverick turns out great. I remember Clem saying something like, "Bobby Jackson isn't necessarily a point guard or shooting guard, he's a basketball player."

Okay, Friend of Tubby, personally, I really don't care what he's labeled, but you're quoting what "BOB" says. Bob is a recruiting service guy. He'll say anything for the most part for his guys. You need a big power forward? Sure we have just the kid for you! My point is this, Minnesota needs something, he's going to push his kid to be that whether he truly is or not. That's his job. I hope Maverick turns out great. I remember Clem saying something like, "Bobby Jackson isn't necessarily a point guard or shooting guard, he's a basketball player."

Nope. Bob (Gottlieb) is his Branch West AAU coach, too.

Ahanmisi was primarily SG in HS but played both SG and PG in AAU and Prep.

He'll play both at Minnesota.

Nope. Bob (Gottlieb) is his Branch West AAU coach, too.

Ahanmisi was primarily SG in HS but played both SG and PG in AAU and Prep.

He'll play both at Minnesota.

..We'll see how much he plays. Kind of silly that a thread about the incoming frosh class is 90% a debate on whether Maverick played PG in high school.

Nonetheless, let's look at what your buddy Bob says once again:
"Gottlieb think that Ahanmisi can also play point guard for the Gophers, which could be a trouble spot for Minnesota with questions about the eligibility of Al Nolen and transfer of freshman Justin Cobbs.

Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point. Last summer, we moved him to the off guard in order to take advantage of his vast scoring skills." -- quote from Bob Gottlieb.

Link is here

As fan of Ray points out, Bob sells a service, which is important to remember when considering his comments.

..We'll see how much he plays. Kind of silly that a thread about the incoming frosh class is 90% a debate on whether Maverick played PG in high school.

Nonetheless, let's look at what your buddy Bob says once again:
"Gottlieb think that Ahanmisi can also play point guard for the Gophers, which could be a trouble spot for Minnesota with questions about the eligibility of Al Nolen and transfer of freshman Justin Cobbs.

Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point. Last summer, we moved him to the off guard in order to take advantage of his vast scoring skills." -- quote from Bob Gottlieb.

Link is here

As fan of Ray points out, Bob sells a service, which is important to remember when considering his comments.

Quote from BOB GOTTLIEB on Branch West AAU website:

Ok, I'll post this then I'll shut up on it. (GW and 98 are better at this than me.) Bob also had this in the article...Knowing their team for next year, they are loaded with at least four 7'0" athletes and badly needed a quality guard.
Name these four seven footers to me. [/I] He will embellish, it's a given for these guys. You, most likely know this better than anyone. They DO have some height, Iverson, Sampson, Eliason and Walker, but they are NOT all seven feet tall. (Are any of them legit 7'?) The guy was his coach, but he also runs a recruiting service. My beef isn't if he's a 1 or a 2, it's that Bob will say whats needed and he will paste it on his site to make things look good for future prospects.

He Won't Start

And he won't play 15-20 minutes in many games. He won't be 20+ ppg scorer like he was in HS, AAU, or Prep.

He'll be a back-up guard who MAY see 5-10 minutes (most games) behind Hoffarber, Joseph, Nolen, and Hollins.

BTW Ahanmisi scored 15 points in a game between Stoneridge and Findlay Prep last season (but Cory Joseph didn't play in that game).

Ok, I'll post this then I'll shut up on it. (GW and 98 are better at this than me.) Bob also had this in the article...Knowing their team for next year, they are loaded with at least four 7'0" athletes and badly needed a quality guard.
Name these four seven footers to me. [/I] He will embellish, it's a given for these guys. You, most likely know this better than anyone. They DO have some height, Iverson, Sampson, Eliason and Walker, but they are NOT all seven feet tall. (Are any of them legit 7'?) The guy was his coach, but he also runs a recruiting service. My beef isn't if he's a 1 or a 2, it's that Bob will say whats needed and he will paste it on his site to make things look good for future prospects.

Iverson and Eliason are 7-0 or close. Sampson not far behind. Walker 2-3 inches shorter than 7 feet.

7 footers, pg/sg, and Devoe

Lots of color commentators call anyone over 6'10" --7 footers. I know Sampson and Iverson have been called 7 footers. I would think Iverson is 7' in shoes, which is how they are measured nowadays.

I have found that a lot of basketball players in high school play out of position. I've seen lots of 6'2" and 6'3" guys at small forward. I have seen excellent point guards who are over 6' play off the ball some if that high school team has a really good 5'9" player. I think the bigger issue is trying to make a guy with few pt guard skills and is an average athlete into a pg. NOt a big deal if you have depth and he's your 3rd guy, but could be a killer if he's your main back up.

Devoe is probably 6'2" is shoes and not one of the better athletes as far as the NBA is concerned. His lack of supreme quickness will hurt him as the NBA is such a one-on-one league. He would have trouble guarding either the bigger sg or the quick pt guards. But if he keeps improving he could have a chance at making a roster. Troy Bell was all ACC and a more natural pg and quicker and he didn't last?

Top Bottom