Indy Star: It was the hottest basketball sectional. Then attendees started dying of coronavirus.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Indy Star:

It was the hottest ticket in the state for high school basketball. Four great teams. An electric atmosphere was guaranteed for the night of March 6 at Lawrence Central, where 2,800 fans would pack the gym for the sectional semifinals.

But early on that Friday afternoon, the calls started coming in to Lawrence Central.

It was revealed by state officials at 11 a.m. that the first person in Indiana had tested positive for coronavirus at Community Health North, four miles from the school.

“We started getting calls,” Lawrence Central athletic director Ryan Banas said, “wondering if we were still going to play.”

The games were played that night — and the following night — just like they were in 63 other venues around the state. Fans at Lawrence Central that week for Sectional 10 were treated to a basketball bonanza of incredible games and individual performances.

But on that night of March 6, there were five people in the gym who later died after testing positive for coronavirus. There’s no way to know if they contracted it at Lawrence Central. But families are left to mourn.

Go Gophers!!

Certainly some contracted it at the games. But SARS-CoV2 was a hoax on March 6. Still a hoax to some.

63 venues +average of 2800 per venue = 176,400 people at the games. 5 people is .003%. One in their forty's, one in their 50's, one in their 60's, two in their 70's.

If 5 people out of 176,400 died driving to and from the games that night would we cancel basketball due to the unacceptable carnage on the roads?

Somewhere on the backside of this we are going to become educated as a society on all the different ways we are all dying every day that we have been taking for granted.

I don't think anybody takes heart disease, Cancer, DM, strokes for granted but these are not contagious diseases. Many are life style influenced but they all can't be avoided by public health measures. I hope we listen to the virologists, epidemiologists and public health officials. Most people don't like arm chair QB's but there are way too many arm chair epidemiologists right now.

63 venues +average of 2800 per venue = 176,400 people at the games. 5 people is .003%. One in their forty's, one in their 50's, one in their 60's, two in their 70's.

If 5 people out of 176,400 died driving to and from the games that night would we cancel basketball due to the unacceptable carnage on the roads?

Somewhere on the backside of this we are going to become educated as a society on all the different ways we are all dying every day that we have been taking for granted.

But, they did not die driving.

Read closer - 5 died of the 2800, not from the 63 other venues. So if I told you, you could go to a game and 2 of every 1000 would die, would you go? Would you take your family?

"Some day as a society we are going to become educated." Boy, I hope so, because some people are as dense as uranium when it comes to false equivalencies.

US death rate for test-confirmed Covid-19 is about 4.5%. Survivors of severe disease are likely looking at lung scarring and compromised pulmonary function for the rest of their lives, and this includes younger patients. Stop the spread.

"Some day as a society we are going to become educated." Boy, I hope so, because some people are as dense as uranium when it comes to false equivalencies.

US death rate for test-confirmed Covid-19 is about 4.5%. Survivors of severe disease are likely looking at lung scarring and compromised pulmonary function for the rest of their lives, and this includes younger patients. Stop the spread.
I could be wrong but i think the point by lakerfan was that people are only reacting like we are because this cause of death is contagious while people are dying everyday in larger number for reasons that are far more in our control yet we seemingly do nothing to get those things under control. Ideally bio-engineering labs will not leak out these contagious diseases in the future and we can actually focus on those things.

Read closer - 5 died of the 2800, not from the 63 other venues. So if I told you, you could go to a game and 2 of every 1000 would die, would you go? Would you take your family?

Your right I missed it. Poor reading comprehension. But to your point. If my kid was playing in that game and I knew it was a 2 out of 1000 with the 2 being weighted towards elderly people with compromised health, the wife and I are going, but grandma's are staying home.

Your right I missed it. Poor reading comprehension. But to your point. If my kid was playing in that game and I knew it was a 2 out of 1000 with the 2 being weighted towards elderly people with compromised health, the wife and I are going, but grandma's are staying home.
And still a much greater chance that you or the wife gets it, but you or her doesn't realize it. Still could give it to grandma. Change your mind or make you think about going a little more? (Not even bringing grandpa or a couple of uncles or auntie into the equation yet.)

Huge benefit from the pandemic. Real time ability to identity those who lack the ability to critically think.

you suffer from more than poor reading comprehension.

Huge benefit from the pandemic. Real time ability to identity those who lack the ability to critically think.

you suffer from more than poor reading comprehension.

Awesome! But I'm guessing many won't comprehend it even if they're beat w/ a stupid stick.

Certainly some contracted it at the games. But SARS-CoV2 was a hoax on March 6. Still a hoax to some.

Block M = nutjob with TDS. Take it to the OT board son.

BTW, the CV-19 death rate is closer to .001

The number calculated from today’s CDC update is .052, or 5.2% of people tested positive in the USA have died.

And there is some people’s rub, that death rate is people tested, not truly necessarily how many people may have had it and did not show enough symptoms to be tested. The real numbers will come later when there is some better testing and more of it.

Bolded statement can be factual and really misleading at the same time. Unless your going to randomly test 100,000 people (symptomatic and not) we have no idea what the death rate for contracting the disease is. Take Minnesota., We are testing a whopping 1000 people a day right now and you don't get the test unless you symptomatically positive (and multiple symptoms at that) out of that group about 5-10% test positive for Covid 19 every day. Out of that group about 1/3 need hospitalization and about 8% have died. If we were testing every person in the state or the governor's proposed 5000 daily we might discover that we have an additional 500 people a day who show they have had or have the virus but are asymptomatic. Telling people or leading them to believe this is a flu that will kill 4.5% of the population that gets infected isn't factual.

We are 143 deaths in as of today. Youngest death in Minnesota is 56, and the median age of those who have died is 84. Median age of those hospitalized is 64. This isn't affecting young and old alike. Implying that this is going to be a long term health crisis for lots of young people isn't supported either.

Wash your hands, stay home if your sick. Modify our infectious disease protocols at senior care and long term care facilities. Same for airports and other high density public venues. Those seem like reasonable responses to this. I'm also ok with the temporary shutdown pending getting hospitals and healthcare providers stocked up and ready to go. Not having established a threshold to reopen the state at this point seems late, but this is unprecedented and I think its reasonable to be asked to wait until early May for a plan. Much longer than that and the civil unrest is going to be on the rise.

And there is some people’s rub, that death rate is people tested, not truly necessarily how many people may have had it and did not show enough symptoms to be tested. The real numbers will come later when there is some better testing and more of it.
In addition to not knowing how many people are infected, there are also deaths from COVID-19 that are not being counted. How either affects the actual ratio is unknown. What we do know is that this is a highly contagious disease and without social distancing our hospitals may be overwhelmed. And testing for both the virus and it’s anti-bodies may be required to get our economy and society working again.

Bolded statement can be factual and really misleading at the same time. Unless your going to randomly test 100,000 people (symptomatic and not) we have no idea what the death rate for contracting the disease is. Take Minnesota., We are testing a whopping 1000 people a day right now and you don't get the test unless you symptomatically positive (and multiple symptoms at that) out of that group about 5-10% test positive for Covid 19 every day. Out of that group about 1/3 need hospitalization and about 8% have died. If we were testing every person in the state or the governor's proposed 5000 daily we might discover that we have an additional 500 people a day who show they have had or have the virus but are asymptomatic. Telling people or leading them to believe this is a flu that will kill 4.5% of the population that gets infected isn't factual.

We are 143 deaths in as of today. Youngest death in Minnesota is 56, and the median age of those who have died is 84. Median age of those hospitalized is 64. This isn't affecting young and old alike. Implying that this is going to be a long term health crisis for lots of young people isn't supported either.

Wash your hands, stay home if your sick. Modify our infectious disease protocols at senior care and long term care facilities. Same for airports and other high density public venues. Those seem like reasonable responses to this. I'm also ok with the temporary shutdown pending getting hospitals and healthcare providers stocked up and ready to go. Not having established a threshold to reopen the state at this point seems late, but this is unprecedented and I think its reasonable to be asked to wait until early May for a plan. Much longer than that and the civil unrest is going to be on the rise.

The reason you are at 143 deaths and not much higher is because aggressive measures were taken by your state's leadership. Thankfully most people understand the need for short-term sacrifice to mitigate unnecessary suffering and loss and economic consequences that are more severe than those currently being experienced. I'm going with the science and experts on this one; not a $hit for brains president who's pushing chloroquine tablets.

Handy with a calculator? 42K deaths out of 788K positive tests in the US. Hoax!

B
I could be wrong but i think the point by lakerfan was that people are only reacting like we are because this cause of death is contagious while people are dying everyday in larger number for reasons that are far more in our control yet we seemingly do nothing to get those things under control. Ideally bio-engineering labs will not leak out these contagious diseases in the future and we can actually focus on those things.

Bioengineering labs? WTF. Fox News again?

B

Bioengineering labs? WTF. Fox News again?
I don't watch fox news but many countries investigating the origin of the virus are reaching the conclusion that it escaped the infectious disease lab in wuhan known to work with strains of the carona virus. Maybe bio-engineering was an incorrect description. Do you think this illness occurs naturally in humans? Maybe if they are eating infected bats I guess.

Death rate for total US population is .001. But the death rate for people infected with covid-19 is approximately 5.3% if numbers are right that they reported.

I don't watch fox news but many countries investigating the origin of the virus are reaching the conclusion that it escaped the infectious disease lab in wuhan known to work with strains of the carona virus. Maybe bio-engineering was an incorrect description. Do you think this illness occurs naturally in humans? Maybe if they are eating infected bats I guess.
Pangolins

Death rate for total US population is .001. But the death rate for people infected with covid-19 is approximately 5.3% if numbers are right that they reported.
It will be far below 5.3 as far more people have had it, as many as 85 times as what is reported because some do not even know they had it because some do not get as sick as others. Pay attention to the research coming out of Stanford.

It will be far below 5.3 as far more people have had it, as many as 85 times as what is reported because some do not even know they had it because some do not get as sick as others. Pay attention to the research coming out of Stanford.
I don't disagree as I am not on the front lines medically on this subject. I will take Stanford's study with a grain of salt as it was a small sample size and is having mixed opinions about the study.

I don't disagree as I am not on the front lines medically on this subject. I will take Stanford's study with a grain of salt as it was a small sample size and is having mixed opinions about the study.
Understood. It would need to be much larger and controlled but 3300 is not to be ignored. These are people much smarter than i am on this subject.

Understood. It would need to be much larger and controlled but 3300 is not to be ignored. These are people much smarter than i am on this subject.
I seen this thread and I told myself I was not going to comment just read the posts. Obviously that did not work out for me. I really dont know anything on the subject so I am going to try and bow out and leave this for smarter people than me.

Y'all be the judge. This Minnesota triathlete was on an ECMO for four weeks. No one wants things to open more than me, as I am furloughed, but this is the most serious public health threat we've had in a hundred years. I think we can hold on a couple more weeks.

The most recent ebola outbreak was the result of a young boy venturing into a hollowed out tree where he contacted infected bat guano. Covid could have escaped from a virology lab in Wuhan. Or it could have been someone who had the misfortune of contacting an infected animal (bat?). Another theory is that its been in humans for months or years but acquired a mutation that allowed it to more efficiently transmit from person to person. We will likely never know.

Top Bottom