Individual player thoughts from the game

Juicer

Reaction score
Before last evening, had not watched a game yet this year due to the commies over at the BTN...

So here are some thoughts from afar.

Williams - No one thought he would be this good so far. It will be interesting to see him against Butler; I think he will struggle offensively in the 1/2 court when people start bodying him up, but I would be thrilled if he could end the year as a guy that we don't need to score at all. He is good defensively because of his length and athleticism, and he fits the system well when initiating the full-court press.

DJ - Best player on the team, hands down. Saw him do everything last night, as he normally does. Shoot it, defend, block shots, pass, dunk, run the court, etc. This guy has improved more in 4 years than any Gopher in recent memory.

Nolen - 2nd best player on the court yesterday (yes, better than RW in my opinion). Nothing fancy, but no one takes the ball from him, and defensively you can see guys cringe when he picks them up full court. Still needs to be better on the drive-and-dish, but he was better in the 1/2 court last night than I can remember from last year. He is never going to be a shooter, so we should just stop expecting it. If he can facilitate and play D, that should be enough from him.

RSIII - Not much to see from him with only 19 minutes. I thought he would get more touches because of the smallish lineup from Utah Valley, but he was kind of nonexistent. I think he will be okay this year but I found myself really missing Mbakwe, a guy who would spend his time rebounding and attacking the rim... not sure what to make of RSIII's effort in the game other than to say it was "okay".

Devoe - Not sure how many times Doyle (color guy) said "this guy has taken 17 shots in 37 minutes so far this year!" or something like that. I agree that he shoots a lot but I was okay with most of his shots. I read another thread saying that he was trying to fill Westbrook's shoes last night; I agree. And it showed a little; he just never looked comfortable. I am not worried however, as he is a very good shooter and will show up this year for us when we need it.

Hoff - He was solid. Did what would be expected of him; shot it when he was open. For some reason, the shots just aren't falling the way they did when he was a frosh, although he did make a couple last night. I remember the OSU game from last year when he hadn't done anything all year, and then BAM, he hits like 5 threes in a row and people are going "where'd that come from". I see another similar year from Blake this year.

Iverson - Doyle said during the game that Iverson appeared as though he was still growing into his body, and that he "falls down a lot". I happen to agree with Doyle. He just doesn't look comfortable out there, and everything appears to be a struggle. I still think his potential is vast, and he will be a serviceable backup this year, but if/when Mbakwe gets on the court, his minutes will be less than 10 a game.

Carter - I found myself frustrated every time he touched the ball last night. Just trying to do too much out there. He plays extremely hard, but made many mistakes with the ball and on defense. It is nice to have depth and athleticism on the bench, but for now I believe that is all he is going to provide with the emergence of RW.

Cobbs - Like him after seeing him in limited minutes. He is solid with the ball, and is confident. He will be a good backup this year, and will play big minutes in his 4 years in the program. Physically, he can compete now. I am sure he will struggle a little in Big Ten play but thankfully we don't need him to be spectacular, just solid for 10-12 minutes per game.

My overall impression from the game is that we are lucky we can play defense the way we do. We were the second best shooting team on the floor last night. I'd trade offenses with that team if it were possible. We need to shoot better...if we don't, I don't see much of a difference from last year's team. Royce White would have (still can I guess) helped us a lot in the half court. Rodney's nice, but I think it'll be a different story for him in the Big 10. Nolan should only shoot on drives. Iverson's lucky we've had the suspensions because he wouldn't see the court without them...he is proving to be very disappointing...so uncoordinated out there. That's it for the negativity...our defense rocks!

I've been to every game so far this year at Williams and I would have to agree with your thoughts on Iverson. I was really impressed with him last year and thought he would make huge strides after hitting the weights, another year in the system, and adjusting to the speed of the college game. However, he has been extremely slow in his help defense, has had trouble grabbing and holding onto rebounds, and frankly looks clumsy out there.

I'm a little worried what will happen if Sampson gets into foul trouble during our tourney over Thanksgiving and during big ten play. If we had Trevor and Royce, this would prolly be a non issue, but we really need Iverson to play strong and right now I'm a little worried about it. Anyone else share the same opinion or am I being overly analytical or something? I really hope he has a great year....

Me too and I pretty much agree with your post.

My thoughts, but I did did miss some pretty big chunks of the game...

Johnson has been may favorite and most consistant player last few years, and looks to end his Gopher career with a bang. The kid is awesome!!!!

Williams looked raw and skinny, but I was very impressed. He's making the White deal easier to swallow. However, I did think a few times that:

A. That White had to be watching and thinking how fun it would be to be out there with Williams. Maybe even thinking, if only I hadn't....(or maybe not???)

B. How cool it would be to see White out there with him.

The Big Guys. I have been expecting big things from these two in there second year, but I didn't see much from them last night. Again, I didn't see the whole game, and I guess they didn't play a ton of minutes, but didn't really notice much difference from last year. Not really a bad thing, just nothing really stood out in last night's game.

Nolen He's one guy that really took a step back last year, and someone I hope has significant improvement this year. As for last night, so far so good.

The last one I'll mention is Hoffarber. I feel for the dude. Looked very promising his freshman year, struggeled last year (had a couple good games, but way too incoinsistant). Was really hopping for a big improvement for this year. Again, only one game, but it sure looked like last year's Hoffarber continued.

I know it's early, and teams are just tunning up of the season and shaking cob webs, so no real concerns yet.

Anyway, it was fun to get my first glimpse of the team, and looking forward to Thanksgiving.

Agree with the two previous posts.

CONCERNS:
Rebounding at both ends. Especially on O.
Lacking a player that can 'take it to the rim' in half-court offense.

OBSERVATION;
Nolen---He can make the outside/3pt shot when he gets his feet set. So often when he puts up and outside shot he is off-balance. One foot/leg is very often going left, right, front or back.

Here is what i saw from last nights game.

Our guards are not very good at getting the ball into the low post. Too often the entry pass came from a wing into RSIII or it was RSIII on the high post getting the entry into Damian on the low post. We don't move well without the ball as guards. We need better spacing on offense. I found a number of times where the guards were clogging up the lane for our forwards to catch the ball. We need to do a much better job of screening for guys that don't have the ball to be able to come of a screen, catch and shoot. We need a better mid-range game for our guards and shooters. So to summarize, our half court offense needs work.

Our defense we very solid, although we allowed a few guys to get one on one with us on the low post. As others have mentioned, I am concerned with our rebounding. Blocking out appears to be a lost art these days and that everyone just wants to out jump the opponent for rebounds. We should have our guys watch film of Dennis Rodman on boxing out your man.

I think we have a solid team with great depth. It was clear we missed Lawrence last night on the offensive end. I love the athleticism of this team. If we can improve on getting the ball inside more on offense and improve our rebounding, we should be competing for the conferencee title!

Nolen - 2nd best player on the court yesterday (yes, better than RW in my opinion). Nothing fancy, but no one takes the ball from him, and defensively you can see guys cringe when he picks them up full court. Still needs to be better on the drive-and-dish, but he was better in the 1/2 court last night than I can remember from last year. He is never going to be a shooter, so we should just stop expecting it. If he can facilitate and play D, that should be enough from him.
Throughout the first half I was thinking that Nolen was being outplayed by his opposite number. Al played a much better second half.

Overall, I haven't seen improvement in the areas needed for him to be rated among the top half of starting Big Ten PGs this year.

I think we all need to take a step back on the excitement train for Rodney. Yes, I agree he is a freak athlete and has great measureables but watching last night made me notice with the lack of defense he plays compared to Damian. He is doing a great job for a freshman but most of his baskets are garbage baskets where he gets a putback or an easy dunk. I think hes going to turn into a great player when he gets a mid range game and dribble drive game. Freak Frosh but we cant expect 15 points per game against the likes of Butler and the B10.

The season is on Damian, Westy and Al and I think its setting up big.

Dame for BTPOY!!

I think we all need to take a step back on the excitement train for Rodney. Yes, I agree he is a freak athlete and has great measureables but watching last night made me notice with the lack of defense he plays compared to Damian. He is doing a great job for a freshman but most of his baskets are garbage baskets where he gets a putback or an easy dunk. I think hes going to turn into a great player when he gets a mid range game and dribble drive game. Freak Frosh but we cant expect 15 points per game against the likes of Butler and the B10.

The season is on Damian, Westy and Al and I think its setting up big.

Dame for BTPOY!!

I agree with Auggie, but maybe from a slightly different perspective. WHen things start getting MUCH more physical, Rodney's game is likely to suffer. He just hasn't had the experience. I wouldn't want people to be criticizing him because his stats had fallen off from the nonconf season, but people's expectations hadn't.

Nolen has one strength: ball hawking and coming up with steals. His O is shaky and his overall D is above average but not great. I have never considered him as a shutdown type D player going against top PG's.

...watching last night made me notice with the lack of defense he plays compared to Damian.
You're comparing a freshman with a RS-Senior. If you do an apples-to-apples comparison, you'd see that Williams is winning hands-down based on the first five games. Now, if Williams can grow like Johnson did during Damian's 4 years as a player, we'll have something truly spectacular.

Top Bottom