Indiana Tailgating

MNHerb

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to tailgate at Indiana? Any guidance would be appreciated.

There are several large grassy tree-filled fields just south of the stadium that make for perfect tailgating areas. Well organized and they get cars lined up to leave appropriate space for games/tables/etc.

Many people tailgate there and then never go into the game, as you can tell by IU's typically paltry attendance numbers.

Tailgating at IU is hands down best in the B1G. Tailgating in the woods is great fun.

Tailgating at IU is hands down best in the B1G. Tailgating in the woods is great fun.

This always surprises me as I have heard this same statement from a few people! Good to know that it is a good time! I would like to make the trip sometime!

Indiana, without a doubt, is the hidden gem of Big Ten road trips. Only went once (the 2004 "Hurricane Game") but looking forward to going back in a few weeks.

There are several large grassy tree-filled fields just south of the stadium that make for perfect tailgating areas. Well organized and they get cars lined up to leave appropriate space for games/tables/etc.

Many people tailgate there and then never go into the game, as you can tell by IU's typically paltry attendance numbers.

Do you know if we need to buy a parking pass in advance or can we just show up, first come first served?

Do you know if we need to buy a parking pass in advance or can we just show up, first come first served?

We parked in the main gravel lot and it was first come, first served. I will echo the fantastic tailgating experience in Indiana.

Feels like there's just a chill vibe at IU football games. I'm sure IU football fans know their place in the B1G so don't take themselves too seriously. Everyone just shows up ready to enjoy a beautiful fall day, no matter the outcome of the game.

Also, IU has a beautiful campus if you have a chance to walk it.

Feels like there's just a chill vibe at IU football games. I'm sure IU football fans know their place in the B1G so don't take themselves too seriously. Everyone just shows up ready to enjoy a beautiful fall day, no matter the outcome of the game.

It would be nice if Gopher fans could emulate this approach.

I parked in the gravel lot in 2007 and it was a great time. They have a wonderful setup at IU. Can't wait to go back.

A small group of us will be in the parking lot closest to Assembly Hall, FWIW.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to tailgate at Indiana? Any guidance would be appreciated.

In 2007 I stayed at the hotel in the IU Memorial Union and walked north to the Stadium from the main campus and saw incredible tailgaiting occuring in the large park like wooded area before reaching the more open parking lots of the athletic facility area. If I were a vistitor I'd probably walk that whole campus, see the Union, then walk through the gates to the business district, and eventually head north through this wooded area.

The law enforcement presence in this wooded area was noticed, but they were very laid back and friendly and looked to be only there to deal with any idiots that went way over the line. I have not been The Grove in Oxford MS, but the high quality of this tailgaiting area has to be close to The Grove. Large groups of varied ages seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Considering the expectations I had, the overall UI experience was great. The Campus is incredible, the commerical area just west of the Campus on Kirkwood is small but intesting. Nick's English Hut was great.

The Stadium itelf had great sight lines, good access, and way more bench seating space than Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The Stadium atmosphere still looks blah, but the North addition looks great on TV and probably better in person.

In 2007 I stayed at the hotel in the IU Memorial Union and walked north to the Stadium from the main campus and saw incredible tailgaiting occuring in the large park like wooded area before reaching the more open parking lots of the athletic facility area. If I were a vistitor I'd probably walk that whole campus, see the Union, then walk through the gates to the business district, and eventually head north through this wooded area.

The law enforcement presence in this wooded area was noticed, but they were very laid back and friendly and looked to be only there to deal with any idiots that went way over the line. I have not been The Grove in Oxford MS, but the high quality of this tailgaiting area has to be close to The Grove. Large groups of varied ages seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Considering the expectations I had, the overall UI experience was great. The Campus is incredible, the commerical area just west of the Campus on Kirkwood is small but intesting. Nick's English Hut was great.

The Stadium itelf had great sight lines, good access, and way more bench seating space than Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The Stadium atmosphere still looks blah, but the North addition looks great on TV and probably better in person.
I almost forgot! Nick's English Hut is where we learned our now favorite tailgating game. They call it Sink the Bismark; we call it Sink N Drink.
http://www.idsnews.com/news/weekend/story.aspx?id=19445

99425886_dee57c0e77.jpg

Am going to this game in Indiana as well as the Nebraska one a week on Saturday. Few of over from London, England. This is going to sound a silly question I know.......But say we buy Gophers T Shirts/Merchandise etc at the Nebraska game....Are you okay wearing it on an away game at Indiana at the tailgates etc? Or do you get aggro and any trouble? Bear in mind I watch top flight "soccer" over here in England and it can be risky to wear your team shirt at away games cause of trouble.

Or is this just one big party?

Am going to this game in Indiana as well as the Nebraska one a week on Saturday. Few of over from London, England. This is going to sound a silly question I know.......But say we buy Gophers T Shirts/Merchandise etc at the Nebraska game....Are you okay wearing it on an away game at Indiana at the tailgates etc? Or do you get aggro and any trouble? Bear in mind I watch top flight "soccer" over here in England and it can be risky to wear your team shirt at away games cause of trouble.

You will be safe wearing Gopher gear.

You will be fine. Indiana fans are very docile.

Well... the stage is set for Tipsy's last hurrah!

With a little one on the way and hopes for a National title dashed once again, I've booked my travel for my Gopher Football "roadtrip". I'll be flying in and out of Chicago and making treks to Bloomington for the Indiana game and to MPLS for the clash with Penn State, where I hung my hat (not to mention a lotta silk :cool:) for a half decade.

Bloomington IS one of the best tailgate scenes I've been around and Dr. Lloyd and I will be on the lookout for folks who enjoy our brand of fun.

Hats off to Thee!

:cool02::cool02:

Top Bottom