Indiana State River College (JUCO) guard Abdoulaye Thiam commits to Minnesota

I also know from plenty of people around the program that he did work hard, it just didn’t translate on the court.

If you're going to make excuses like that, then you better not call my statements "ridiculous."

If he worked really hard and still produced the results we saw, then that's even stronger evidence that he couldn't play at this level and he should have realized that.

Let's run a little further with your ridiculous idea.

If nurses told you that a particular doctor works really hard but is one of the worst doctors in the hospital (in terms of malpractice), would you trust him to do your surgery?

People aren't entitled to jobs or other positions just because "it's their dream" and "they work really hard." They have to have some talent/aptitude for what they are doing.

The problem you have with my views is that I don't share your sappy white bread sentimentalism and midwestern need for social acceptability.

If you're going to make excuses like that, then you better not call my statements "ridiculous."

If he worked really hard and still produced the results we saw, then that's even stronger evidence that he couldn't play at this level and he should have realized that.

If nurses told you that a particular doctor works really hard but is one of the worst doctors in the hospital (in terms of malpractice), would you trust him to do your surgery?

People aren't entitled to jobs or other positions just because "it's their dream" and "they work really hard." They have to have some talent/aptitude for what they are doing.

The problem you have with my views is that I don't share your sappy white bread sentimentalism and midwestern need for social acceptability.
It's a basketball scholarship to be a student-athlete at the University of Minnesota, not a job. They are not the same nor can they be compared. Student athletes that accept a scholarship that they have been offered by the coach have certain responsibilities. Michael Hurt fulfilled every single one of them. He just didn't produce enough statically on the basketball court for your liking. He played a bench role on the team all four years he was on scholarship. He had no need nor should've he had to transfer down due to that if he was content with his role on the team. Only so many minutes to give and if you didn't like that he was on the team, that's Pitino's fault for offering him the scholarship, not Michaels for accepting the offer.

I think you'd have to question the hiring processes that put the doctor in place in addition to the doctor's malpractice. Especially when the hospital knows that the doctor is more or less a lifetime appointment if they choose to be. And what support is the doctor getting to improve?

Yes, I think a player development program is critical for a coach and I agree that Pitino was terrible at that. Had Pitino's program been much better at that I think Konate could have been significantly better than he was. But Hurt demonstrated that he simply could not play at this level so I think he should have transferred out at least by the end of his second year.
What’s weird is some guys really improved a lot under Pitino and others did not. Was it his fault they didn’t or was it something he was doing that when guys bought in we saw improvements? I have no idea. But Jordan Murphy, for instance, got significantly better while here. Hard to imagine it had nothing to do with coaching.

What’s weird is some guys really improved a lot under Pitino and others did not. Was it his fault they didn’t or was it something he was doing that when guys bought in we saw improvements? I have no idea. But Jordan Murphy, for instance, got significantly better while here. Hard to imagine it had nothing to do with coaching.
Oturu improved by leaps and bounds. Lots of guys showed improvement.
The thing about coaching...absolutely no coach no where is going to be able to make all 13 guys all conference better. Improve sure. Noticeably? Arguable for some. Kind of two groups you can't make headway with: 1. They just don't connect with coaching. They don't listen. They are not coachable. They wanna do it their way. Their Dad's way, the AAU coaches' way etc. Have as many talks as you want...you can't break through. 2. You screwed up in evaluation. He doesn't get the game. He's athletic but not in ways that compliment basketball. Unlikely anybody unlocks this guy.
The first one maybe gets a different coach and flourishes somewhere else.

Thing about shooting and Thiam with his unorthodox shot. Does Ben have a plan? Is one coach helping him or will 5 different guys give him pointers? I promise those points will be contradictory if it is even two guys giving shooting tips to the same player. If Thiam shoots above 33% at this level at seasons end I will be drop dead amazed. A shooter for four years with a shot nobody has ever seen duplicated could be a long four years. The JC coach who got him to 48% is the guy we should have recruited!!! That is some major whispering!!!

Oturu improved by leaps and bounds. Lots of guys showed improvement.
The thing about coaching...absolutely no coach no where is going to be able to make all 13 guys all conference better. Improve sure. Noticeably? Arguable for some. Kind of two groups you can't make headway with: 1. They just don't connect with coaching. They don't listen. They are not coachable. They wanna do it their way. Their Dad's way, the AAU coaches' way etc. Have as many talks as you want...you can't break through. 2. You screwed up in evaluation. He doesn't get the game. He's athletic but not in ways that compliment basketball. Unlikely anybody unlocks this guy.
The first one maybe gets a different coach and flourishes somewhere else.

Thing about shooting and Thiam with his unorthodox shot. Does Ben have a plan? Is one coach helping him or will 5 different guys give him pointers? I promise those points will be contradictory if it is even two guys giving shooting tips to the same player. If Thiam shoots above 33% at this level at seasons end I will be drop dead amazed. A shooter for four years with a shot nobody has ever seen duplicated could be a long four years. The JC coach who got him to 48% is the guy we should have recruited!!! That is some major whispering!!!
Thiam's shot is fundamentally sound. He just starts his rhythm below the waist. We have yet to see how quickly he releases his shot and if he can release it quick enough against B1G defenses.

I think you'd have to question the hiring processes that put the doctor in place in addition to the doctor's malpractice. Especially when the hospital knows that the doctor is more or less a lifetime appointment if they choose to be. And what support is the doctor getting to improve?
Is this going to lead to vaccine discussions again? I am asking for a friend.

Thiam's shot is fundamentally sound. He just starts his rhythm below the waist. We have yet to see how quickly he releases his shot and if he can release it quick enough against B1G defenses.
He shoots off his palm. His elbow is horizontal.
It is not fundamentally sound imo.
It is possible to shoot weird and make shots. Reggie Miller used his off hand thumb. Worked for him.
It’s just rare that unorthodox is consistent.
Hopefully, he stays in the 40’s percentile.
I’d be happy!

I really like this 'cruit. He's someone that hasn't "had it easy" -- meaning by his natural athletic skills he was dominating in High School without having to work hard at improving his game. He has worked hard and by that hard work has significantly improved his game, and by improving his game he became a key contributor to a very successful winning team. He knows what it takes to be successful, he has and is doing that work, and it's paid off and is paying off for him.

Contrast that with someone whose natural ability or physical size let them dominate in the High School ranks. When they get to college ball (especially the B1G) they are no longer are the best athlete or biggest body on the floor and they can't make it in the league on those skills alone. Without the habit of hard work to make themselves better, they flounder.

I'll take the 'cruit that is successful because of hard work any day over the incredible athlete that thinks they can dominate based on their natural skills. Welcome to Minnesota Abdoulaye, glad you're here!

"He's just scratching the surface," Indian River State College coach Charlie Wilson said. "He's kind of a late bloomer. He's highly efficient. He's a high-level shooter with an unbelievable motor. He's an even better kid."

Lets Go!

Yeah, I don't think Pitino's issue was development it was more finding the right pieces to play together. His roster's usually seemed to have some fatal flaw of some kind that would hold the team back from reaching the level it looked like it might.

Yeah, I don't think Pitino's issue was development it was more finding the right pieces to play together. His roster's usually seemed to have some fatal flaw of some kind that would hold the team back from reaching the level it looked like it might.
Lack of development as it relates to having depth. Too many guys languished on the bench. When somebody got hurt the next man up had not played before.
Also, roster construction was always flawed.

If you like that look I can’t help you on a message board. We just disagree.
Looks painful. I’m with you. Some dudes with weird looking shots have been very good shooters (Peja’s shots rotated almost like a globe) but generally if it looks bad it is hard to repeat and be consistent

Top Bottom