In two years or three years we're going to be sick Coyle didn't hire Smith

I'm glad you can see 2 to 3 years in the future, maybe you should use that skill for more than posting about it on Gopherhole....

No one knows what will happen over the next few years. Sure we may be kicking ourselves, but we also may have made the right decision. Let's let it play out and not act like we know what will happen.

Unless it's purely a money thing (assuming Marquette can pay substantially more), and/or unless Moser is dead set on staying in Chicago and wants to move up to the Big East from Loyola, I would think DePaul makes more sense for Gates.
I suspect Indiana will be after Moser.

I hate this guaranteed to succeed narrative with Craig Smith. If Archie Miller can fail at Indiana, Craig Smith can fail here. No coach is guaranteed especially a coach that has never coached at a P5 level.
Who's guaranteed it?

Saying that someone is going to be successful elsewhere is not a guarantee that he would've been successful here.

He's just saying we're going to be sick.

Saying that someone is going to be successful elsewhere is not a guarantee that he would've been successful here.

He's just saying we're going to be sick.
Sick because he's a guarantee to be a successful P5 coach somewhere????

Yep. Shouldn't be too hard for you.
From OP:

"He'll get hired at some power 5 job soon and have them in the NCAA tournament every year. On another note, our AD is a complete moron."

Is this a guarantee?

Not a guarantee that he'd be successful here.

There is no such thing, for a program in our current state.
I didn't say he was guaranteed to be successful here. I said he's not guaranteed to be successful anywhere.

I don't think I have to tell you this, but affirmative action is about progress and equity, not retribution. I think it was Dr. King who talked about what an eye for an eye ultimately gets you in the end.

The saying has been attributed to Ghandi, but there's no proof he actually said it. That said, the saying has been around longer than Dr. King's career (thanks Mr. Anal Retentive!).

As for Gates, I can see why he turned down an interview if he thought the U was looking for a minority hire first and foremost. Stephen Carter wrote the book "Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby" years ago that was a really frank discussion about how often times qualified African-Americans' abilities are downgraded because others believe they got the job simply as a diversity hire. Not a comfortable place to be and if Gates had other options, I can see why he turned this one down.

In response to another poster who somehow believes that the violence in Atlanta played into this hire in any way, if that were the case, Coyle would have probably called Jeremy Lin.

I hate this guaranteed to succeed narrative with Craig Smith. If Archie Miller can fail at Indiana, Craig Smith can fail here. No coach is guaranteed especially a coach that has never coached at a P5 level.
Oh there’s definitely no guaranteed success no matter who any school hires. I thought Archie would have Indiana rolling by now, and would guess most felt the same. Seemed like a no brainer hire at the time. Probably why he was able to get such a huge buyout in his contract. Indiana never dreamed it would go this bad.

I don’t think Craig Smith is guaranteed to have success anywhere. But I also think it’s pretty easy to say that Smith has shown he can have success at the low and mid D1 levels, so it’s reasonable to give him a better chance to succeed at the high major level. Whereas Johnson is a much bigger risk. I think most could agree on that.

Either way, Ben is our coach. And I really hope he can win some of these in-state recruiting battles and turn it into some big wins on the court. I’m not happy with the hire, but I’m pulling for him.

From what I heard from Ryan James on a podcast, recruiting is the biggest thing with this hire and it's been reported elsewhere. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting.

Smith really hasn't recruited MN
Gates has been a HC for two seasons and woudl need to learn the MN recruiting scene.
Johnson has recruited and coached here. He's also got 20 years of experience. He jumps right in and hits 2022 recruiting from the first second.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Moser stay put until the Creighton job opens up.
McD is only four years older than Moser (56 vs 52) and has already been at Creighton a year longer than Moser has been at Loyola. Both are sweet sixteen.

Assuming McD has survived the gaffe, it could be a long time ...

From what I heard from Ryan James on a podcast, recruiting is the biggest thing with this hire and it's been reported elsewhere. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting.
Of course he's going to say that. He puts food on the table with recruiting talk/news.

I don't think I have to tell you this, but affirmative action is about progress and equity, not retribution. I think it was Dr. King who talked about what an eye for an eye ultimately gets you in the end.

I haven't read Sholom Aleichem's story on which "Fiddler on the Roof" was based, but the line in the play (and movie) was:

FIRST MAN: We should defend ourselves. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
TEVYE: Very good. And that way, the whole world will be blind and toothless.

The saying has been attributed to Ghandi, but there's no proof he actually said it. That said, the saying has been around longer than Dr. King's career (thanks Mr. Anal Retentive!).

As for Gates, I can see why he turned down an interview if he thought the U was looking for a minority hire first and foremost. Stephen Carter wrote the book "Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby" years ago that was a really frank discussion about how often times qualified African-Americans' abilities are downgraded because others believe they got the job simply as a diversity hire. Not a comfortable place to be and if Gates had other options, I can see why he turned this one down.

In response to another poster who somehow believes that the violence in Atlanta played into this hire in any way, if that were the case, Coyle would have probably called Jeremy Lin.
If that is the case, why blame anyone BUT the candidates if there is a lack of diverse hires?

I was counting on someone to know!

Smith really hasn't recruited MN
Gates has been a HC for two seasons and woudl need to learn the MN recruiting scene.
Johnson has recruited and coached here. He's also got 20 years of experience. He jumps right in and hits 2022 recruiting from the first second.
Dont be surprised when MN kids repeat historical choices.......

I won't be, but I will be surprised if kids that want to be Gophers are overlooked to the point that the AAU/HS coached and families become disgruntled.
Assuming you mean kids that we should have also wanted, not just anyone who wants to be a Gopher.

Examples? Garcia, right? That's the big example that people were throwing out recently?

I won't be, but I will be surprised if kids that want to be Gophers are overlooked to the point that the AAU/HS coached and families become disgruntled.
Name those kids that RP overlooked.

Top Bottom