In two years or three years we're going to be sick Coyle didn't hire Smith

Name those kids that RP overlooked.
Wright seems to be the one people go back to. Overlooked may have not been best word, but rather not building relationships early enough. That's been the reported rift.

If that is the case, why blame anyone BUT the candidates if there is a lack of diverse hires?
It will vary circumstance to circumstance. Gates may have felt he was walking into a situation where the StarTribune angle was going to put him under a magnifying glass that no coach should have to endure. Look at a considerable number of gripes on here that the primary reason Johnson got the job is due to racial considerations and the supposed pressure that the article applied to Gabel and Coyle.

With any coaching hire, success is not a certainty. I distinctly remember we had a coach who won a national title.

My point is that we don't know what we don't know.

All I know is that Coyle and Gabel bucked the system and went unconventional. Let's give Ben Johnson a chance. We can always clamor for his head in a few years from now. What else is different in Gopherland other than Hope Springs Eternal.

Last edited:

Based on this past year's stats, I'll take our commits over Smith's...

Last edited:

Where was he top 150? According to 247 he was #209 and ranked below all three guys the Gophers signed in 2020.

The plus side with a transfer like this over the ones we have gotten so far is that he has a lot of years left. But tough to know how good he will be as a player since he barely played at all for Cincy.

Everyone complains about "their guy" not getting hired. Quite honestly, I get it. Everyone has a preferred candidate. Mine was Eric Musselman.

We hired Ben Johnson. He is the HC of Gopher MBB for the foreseeable future. I like the hire much better than I did RP. I really wish Ben luck with the team.

I hope the school administration gets behind their athletic department, even if it is purely for monetary reasons. Since, I graduated in the mid-80s, athletics has returned more revenue to the University than the research-driven graduate programs and many of the scandal-ridden undergraduate programs. It's time to wake up and make the most of the new rules in the broader University and post-secondary education world.

Ski-U-Mah

Wait he's not supposed to be able to recruit Minnesota kids, apparently that's why we had to pass on him?
First of all, did you ever watch Mayo play basketball? They were good high school players, but I didn't think they were B1G players. I'm not a scout, so i definitely could be wrong though.

Secondly, they moved to Rochester from Wisconsin when their dad took the Mayo basketball coaching job. They were in high school when this happened so i'm not sure I would call them true Minnesota kids. I had heard they were probably going to Wisconsin-Green Bay or someplace like that when I first saw them play.

Not sure if this is serious or not, but Gabe opted out of the season in December. Played two games I believe. He had offers from Minnesota and Iowa before committing with his brother to Cincinnati.

Again - AD's at most P5 schools (not all ... but most) are made or broken based on the success of their football hires.

Coyle's name/reputation is tied to Fleck. End of story, there.

Top Bottom