In the next expansion wave, B1G should look Southwest before Northwest

11th largest TV market in US.

More than Seattle. Twice as large as the entire state of Oregon.

Built in hockey, top shelf baseball, basketball, and a huge B1G relocated fan environment…larger than Florida.

U of A is only loved by the Tucson market. Oregon is a ridiculous parody of “national following”.

ASU + Washington is perfect.

I can't seem to copy correctly. But it comes from a Brett McMurphy tweet on June 7. Speculation at the time was that this was aimed directly at non-AAU schools Clemson and FSU.
Okay. But "literally" is not a very good descriptor for this report. I'll go with "Speculation" though.
"Personally", I believe that AAU status is required to get into the B1G. Just sayin', but we will see.

In my opinion, the best thing for Gopher football would be four divisions of five teams. Which five can create a Pacific division? UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, and Cal.

The Central division would be our favorite frenemies. The Quadrangle and somebody else.
NW of course! 🥊

I know it’s too late, but who REALLY wanted expansions ? (would like to see a poll and I am not savvy enough to create one).

I know it’s too late, but who REALLY wanted expansions ? (would like to see a poll and I am not savvy enough to create one).
The B1G had to expand or be relegated to a second rate conference versus the SEC. The SEC was working to control which teams got to play for the National Championship. The B1G agreement with the other conferences changed the voting dynamics and then the B1G grabbed the top teams out of the Pac12.

More than Seattle.
Twice as large as the entire state of Oregon.

Built in hockey, top shelf baseball, basketball, and a huge B1G relocated fan environment…larger than Florida.

U of A is only loved by the Tucson market. Oregon is a ridiculous parody of “national following”.

They are almost statistically the same market size. PHX is like 1% larger this year but was 3% smaller than SEA last year.

Last edited:

The B1G had to expand or be relegated to a second rate conference versus the SEC. The SEC was working to control which teams got to play for the National Championship. The B1G agreement with the other conferences changed the voting dynamics and then the B1G grabbed the top teams out of the Pac12.
I'd say it also gave the B1G the ability to vote/control "NCAA" issues going forward too.

More than Seattle. Twice as large as the entire state of Oregon.

I don’t disagree with this.
however, unless it is notre dame I see a two team expansion as unlikely.

The next expansion has to upgrade the contract through quantity of content to justify its cost. Because I’m not convinced anyone but notre dame can justify expansion through quality of content

They are almost statistically the same market size. PHX is like 1% larger this year but was 3% smaller than SEA last year.
ASU and Washington would be huge! I dont think you could get two better positioned spots in the west....ok maybe Wyoming!

ASU and Washington would be huge! I dont think you could get two better positioned spots in the west....ok maybe Wyoming!
I honestly would at this point prefer a huge expansion.
I used to be against it because I like the regional football.
If they expand big enough they have to go back to regional football

16-22 team conferences are probably the worst sizes for seeing your third and 4th favorite opponents to see.

Phoenix is the No. 12 DMA and Seattle No. 14. Seattle's rank has been slipping.

I assume that the Big 10 and its media partners have much better data today than was available when Rutgers and Maryland were added to the conference. Did those schools really add value to the media packages? Who knows and I doubt the Big 10 ever says otherwise. But if adding conference members anymore is strictly a business decision (as Maryland and Rutgers [and perhaps UCLA) suggest) where else does the Big 10 look? Besides Notre Dame, what other plums really are left out there (unavailable ACC schools notwithstanding)?

I don't recall the source, but the USCLA acquisition caught the Big 10 somewhat off guard and it was USC alone that initiated things and UCLA more or less was brought along with it. Meanwhile, the scuttlebutt, for what its worth, suggests the Big 10 was next interested or at least kicked the tires on Oregon and Washington. Washington is obviously in a larger market. Oregon isn't but an argument could be made that it is a national brand but not at the same level Nebraska is/was when it came on board.

Why would Cal and/or Stanford be left behind? San Fran/San Jose is the 6th largest DMA. Does the data say that despite market size, very few televisions tune in to Cal and or Stanford games/will subsribe to television package tiers/streaming and cable providers won't add the network?

I personally agree that at this point the conference needs to be bigger to be more interesting assuming that the additions would result in pods that are grouped geographically. On the west coast, one of Cal/Stanford plus Washington, Oregon and ASU would be interesting and other than Oregon, make the most business sense.

I also think, strictly from a business standpoint, that the Big 10 ought to be looking at more emerging markets. Utah is intriguing. SLC is a small DMA, but one of the fastest growing. I think the Denver market is 14 or 15 DMA. Colorado and Utah would be an interesting addition with a mix of growth and existing market size.

I assume that the Big 10 and its media partners have much better data today than was available when Rutgers and Maryland were added to the conference. Did those schools really add value to the media packages? Who knows and I doubt the Big 10 ever says otherwise. But if adding conference members anymore is strictly a business decision (as Maryland and Rutgers [and perhaps UCLA) suggest) where else does the Big 10 look? Besides Notre Dame, what other plums really are left out there (unavailable ACC schools notwithstanding)?

I don't recall the source, but the USCLA acquisition caught the Big 10 somewhat off guard and it was USC alone that initiated things and UCLA more or less was brought along with it. Meanwhile, the scuttlebutt, for what its worth, suggests the Big 10 was next interested or at least kicked the tires on Oregon and Washington. Washington is obviously in a larger market. Oregon isn't but an argument could be made that it is a national brand but not at the same level Nebraska is/was when it came on board.

Why would Cal and/or Stanford be left behind? San Fran/San Jose is the 6th largest DMA. Does the data say that despite market size, very few televisions tune in to Cal and or Stanford games/will subsribe to television package tiers/streaming and cable providers won't add the network?

I personally agree that at this point the conference needs to be bigger to be more interesting assuming that the additions would result in pods that are grouped geographically. On the west coast, one of Cal/Stanford plus Washington, Oregon and ASU would be interesting and other than Oregon, make the most business sense.

I also think, strictly from a business standpoint, that the Big 10 ought to be looking at more emerging markets. Utah is intriguing. SLC is a small DMA, but one of the fastest growing. I think the Denver market is 14 or 15 DMA. Colorado and Utah would be an interesting addition with a mix of growth and existing market size.
I’ve been saying for a bit, the big ten should start bidding on the tier 3 rights of the pac 12 and big 12

The way to add value to the conference is by adding games not teams.

The tier 3 rights of those two conferences are worth more as part of a big ten package than standalone. But I’m not convinced that cutting more pieces of the pie is worth it.
And I’m not convinced diluting the conference to make some take lower payouts is good for many of the teams currently in the conference (northwestern for instance might not like that precedent)

Notre Dame and Washington are the next targets.

If you get Notre Dame interested, ND probably has the ability to pick their own partner. (Washington, Cal, Stanford, etc.). They probably have that much pull if they act soon enough. The longer they wait however, the less options they'll have.

Don't know where I saw it but there is a ranking of schools by revenue and Oregon is top 20. So that tells you about their brand being more important than the market they are in.

Don't know where I saw it but there is a ranking of schools by revenue and Oregon is top 20. So that tells you about their brand being more important than the market they are in.
Nike $$

What about North Carolina, how about the Tar Heels, ND, Oregon, and Washington.

What about North Carolina, how about the Tar Heels, ND, Oregon, and Washington.
I think the next major expansion likely includes 3-4 of:
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

North Carolina will also be a target of the SEc when they expand next

Add 4 more: ND, Washington, Stanford and Cal. Enough getting cute with it, grab some blue bloods.

Top Bottom