In the next expansion wave, B1G should look Southwest before Northwest

ASU is basically a 4 year community college (fork em) and UofA is snooty school that tries to act like Cal/Stanford.

Both of them have serious questions around FB talent but can produce good BB teams. Not sure about wrestling/Baseball/hockey/etc though. Oregon/Wash seem like the much flashier options but it is hard to argue with the culture fit and market numbers. I’d honestly take either scenario. My main concern would be getting cut off by B12 at some point and having a disjointed conference.

B1G literally a month ago came out and said new members didn't have to be AAU.

Nothing will happen until the latest TV contract runs down. By then the whole picture may have changed.

Yeah...umm...no.
I'd take ASU. They are AAU now would open up the Phoenix tv market. Selfishly, it would also give me a reason/excuse to travel to AZ. It would help the hockey conference get to 8 teams too (but I realize that would be reason #100 for adding a team).

Nothing will happen until the latest TV contract runs down. By then the whole picture may have changed.
Are you including Notre Dame's? And the PAC contract runs out in less than a year..

I'd take ASU. They are AAU now would open up the Phoenix tv market. Selfishly, it would also give me a reason/excuse to travel to AZ. It would help the hockey conference get to 8 teams too (but I realize that would be reason #100 for adding a team).
No problem adding hockey, but there are much better full athletics choices overall.

In my opinion, the best thing for Gopher football would be four divisions of five teams. Which five can create a Pacific division? UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, and Cal.

The Central division would be our favorite frenemies. The Quadrangle and somebody else.

Washington has Div II men’s hockey and women’s club hockey. The women are moving up to the ACHA in the next year or so. I would think they would move up to Div I as soon as possible if they joined the B1G. Oregon is in the same hockey leagues.

Washington has Div II men’s hockey and women’s club hockey. The women are moving up to the ACHA in the next year or so. I would think they would move up to Div I as soon as possible if they joined the B1G. Oregon is in the same hockey leagues.
Seattle has fully embraced hockey. I think Irish, Washington, Stanford, Cal and even the Ducks would be targets before AZ or ASU.

If Notre Dame comes into the conference, they need to abide by Big 10 rules, not Notre Dame rules. Not sure if that would ever happen. They have always dinked everyone around it seems. Never was happy allowing Notre Dame Hockey to be allowed in the conference.

ASU is basically a 4 year community college (fork em) and UofA is snooty school that tries to act like Cal/Stanford.

Both of them have serious questions around FB talent but can produce good BB teams. Not sure about wrestling/Baseball/hockey/etc though. Oregon/Wash seem like the much flashier options but it is hard to argue with the culture fit and market numbers. I’d honestly take either scenario. My main concern would be getting cut off by B12 at some point and having a disjointed conference.
I totally disagree. ASU has done a lot to improve their academic reputation and is no longer the “party school” of the 80’s and 90’s that we are all familiar with. Their Barrett Honors college is one of the best honor colleges in the nation. Don’t think for a second that the U is somehow more relevant academically.

And U of A acts snooty vs. ASU but I’m not sure I understand your take vs. Stanford or Cal. They aren’t even in the same ballpark academically. And I’m not sure they believe they are either.

I think both schools have a lot to offer the B1G albeit their football programs are irrelevant, and that’s where the money is at. With Phoenix being one of the top 5/6 markets in the country it would probably be a good fit for tv ratings.

But I personally think the B1G prefers the pacific NW.

I totally disagree. ASU has done a lot to improve their academic reputation and is no longer the “party school” of the 80’s and 90’s that we are all familiar with. Their Barrett Honors college is one of the best honor colleges in the nation. Don’t think for a second that the U is somehow more relevant academically.

And U of A acts snooty vs. ASU but I’m not sure I understand your take vs. Stanford or Cal. They aren’t even in the same ballpark academically. And I’m not sure they believe they are either.

I think both schools have a lot to offer the B1G albeit their football programs are irrelevant, and that’s where the money is at. With Phoenix being one of the top 5/6 markets in the country it would probably be a good fit for tv ratings.

Completely agree. It is very difficult to achieve, and keep AAU status, ask Nebraska.

My first sentence was meant much more in jest than I think you took it. I’m an ASU alum hence the username. They have done a lot to improve their academics. I think this has more to do with them raising their “ceiling” where as their “floor” is still around where it has been for decades. I don’t think it’s an outrageous take to put MN a whole tier above ASU and have UA somewhere in the middle of that. People in Tucson call UA “the Stanford of the SW” obviously it’s mostly a joke but you’d be surprised the amount of people that find more truth than humor in that.

With all that said, I agree with you. I think they target the NW but I wouldn’t be mad at locking up all of AZ.

Really? I'd like to see a source on that.

I can't seem to copy correctly. But it comes from a Brett McMurphy tweet on June 7. Speculation at the time was that this was aimed directly at non-AAU schools Clemson and FSU.

I can't seem to copy correctly. But it comes from a Brett McMurphy tweet on June 7. Speculation at the time was that this was aimed directly at non-AAU schools Clemson and FSU.
If I recall correctly, the info came from an unnamed source inside the B1G. So while AAU membership is very important, the right school could still be admitted without it.

ASU is a fricken joke of a school.

Top Bottom