In the clear morning light

husker70

Reaction score
I am struggling with the morining after, and too many shots of Makers Mark following the game. I waited till I was home, and in the privacy of my house I tied one on. I haven't tried that in 30 years. I guess the old Merle Haggard song, Last Night The Bottle Let Me Down is true. This was the worst loss in my memory, and that includes the debacle against Pacific. My only solice is the year they caved against the U of P, they brought back The JUG.

I first scanned the papers on line, scanned the topics here. Went back to the Star Tribune, and found this:

http://www.startribune.com/polls/102694859.html?view=See+results&oid=2&mr=1&cid=8500397&pid=102694859

While it says its not a scientific sample and should be used for entertainment purposes only, I would have to say this is representitive the day after.

Joel, who is the next man up? I would think he has to have head coaching experience preferable at the college level. Must have or have a recruiting staff available.

I think a glass of Cognac is waiting.

is it even plausible to think they would fire him before the season ends?

It's a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up day. It is the worst loss i can think of. It should not have happened.

What is messed up for me, is what this says about the program is completely at odds with what i saw yesterday. I was looking for certain things in the offense yesterday and they happened. Even on defense I saw some things I was hoping to see. I think our line and even linebackers played some inspired football the second half. It was probably some of the funnest defense I've seen from the gophers in a while. But it can't make up for the problems in the secondary. It can't make up for the loss. I can't possible say or think, we're headed in the right direction. No amount of good signs can erase this defeat.

And now I'm trying to figure out just where we are at. How can we be improved and lose this game? Is it possible? Maybe it is, but you just can't say it or believe it after a loss to a team like this. How can you seriously look forward in a positive light with this loss?

What a tough day to be a Gopher fan.

Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem, and it's always darkest just before the dawn. It's a long season. Don't abandon hope yet.

I woke up as steamed as I was the night after. I avoided sports shows all yesterday. I decided to listen to Sid this morning and I realized what makes this so damn hard for me. I hated Mason so much at the end that I couldn't wait to see him go. Mason had an arrogance about him that he hadn't earned. As mad as I was yesterday, I couldn't help but have some sympathy for Brewster after listening to him this morning. It took guts to do the radio today. Unfortunately, this business is about more than guts. He wants to win, but he doesn't know how to get it done and the U can't afford to wait around until he does. Brewster gets an A for effort, but the result is still an F.

Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem, and it's always darkest just before the dawn. It's a long season. Don't abandon hope yet.

So when we are 2-9, playing Iowa and getting trounced 35-3, is it time to abandon ship?? I usually dont jump on postive people, but you are delirious and in denial.

Brewster is simply in over his head. The lack of consistency during his tenure was his doom, and the lack of consistency came from a lack of experience as a head coach. RichRod stuck with his plans and things look good for the skunkbears now; would he have caved and abandoned his original plans after his first dismal season at Michigan with no experience on which to rely?
Brewster is young for a head coach and will find a high paying job as an assistant at the D1 or pro level next year. Five to ten years from now he will still be young and I would not be the least surprised to see him as a head coach at the D1 level again, although probably not at the BCS level at first. Don't feel too bad for him.

No he's not delerious or in denial. He's simply speaking the truth. The future hasn't happened yet. We were after all done in by one poor segment of the game. It's not unfathomable that when Royston and Theret return we improve our secondary.

I'm not optimistic. But in most phases of the game we actually are improved. Just couldn't make up for a gaping hole that was easily exploited.

Brewster is simply in over his head. The lack of consistency during his tenure was his doom, and the lack of consistency came from a lack of experience as a head coach. RichRod stuck with his plans and things look good for the skunkbears now; would he have caved and abandoned his original plans after his first dismal season at Michigan with no experience on which to rely?
Brewster is young for a head coach and will find a high paying job as an assistant at the D1 or pro level next year. Five to ten years from now he will still be young and I would not be the least surprised to see him as a head coach at the D1 level again, although probably not at the BCS level at first. Don't feel too bad for him.

rich rod, is a spread guy. his scheme fits his coaching style. It didn't fit Brews. A terrible comparison.

But you can use the past to predict the future and the past did not bode well for the Gophers under Brewster and probably neither does the future.

You proved my point. If the system was terrible for Brewster why did he even attempt it?
The answer: Because he lacked experience. The lack of experience led directly to inconsistency.

People need to relax. Yesterday was a heartbreaking, gut wrenching, painful experience. But one game does not a season make...or break. Tim Brewster is not going anywhere mid-season, so why not wait and see how it plays out? If the Gophers continue to get pounded like they did yesterday, Brewster's departure will be obvious. If the boys use this as a tool to motivate them for the rest of the season, who knows what might happen.

Saying one game is not a whole season is not delusion. It's a weird mind that can claim a statement of fact as delusion and a prediction as fact.

So when we are 2-9, playing Iowa and getting trounced 35-3, is it time to abandon ship?? I usually dont jump on postive people, but you are delirious and in denial.

First of all, they'll put up more than 35. Second of all, we can't kick FG's. I agree with the rest of your post.

Nashvlgopher People need to relax. Yesterday was a heartbreaking, gut wrenching, painful experience. But one game does not a season make...or break. Tim Brewster is not going anywhere mid-season, so why not wait and see how it plays out? If the Gophers continue to get pounded like they did yesterday, Brewster's departure will be obvious. If the boys use this as a tool to motivate them for the rest of the season, who knows what might happen

Other than N. Illinois at home, tell me what game you have confidence in that we will prevail.

at Middle Tennessee W 24-17 --
Sat, Sep 11 South Dakota L 38-41 --
Sat, Sep 18 (16) USC 3:30 pm --
Sat, Sep 25 Northern Illinois 8:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 2 Northwestern 12:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 9 at (11) Wisconsin 12:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 16 at Purdue 12:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 23 (18) Penn State TBA --
Sat, Oct 30 (2) Ohio State 8:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 6 at Michigan State TBA --
Sat, Nov 13 at Illinois TBA --
Sat, Nov 27 (9) Iowa TBA --

You proved my point. If the system was terrible for Brewster why did he even attempt it?
The answer: Because he lacked experience. The lack of experience led directly to inconsistency.

It's a different point. You can't change your point because your argument is flawed. Brewster was not ready to be a head coach. Is that his fault?

He was not a spread guy, ideally he would have figured that out in another head coaching job on his way to a BCS HC position. That doesn't mean he lackes commitment to his strategy, only that he hadn't yet found it.

Other than N. Illinois at home, tell me what game you have confidence in that we will prevail.

The problem with this failed attempt at making a point, is that the biggest obstacle we faced this year was an inexperienced defense. We will not be the same team at the end of the year as we are now. It will be a steep and quick learning curve. This team as they are now will not defeat any of those teams. But this team with more experience and Royston and Theret back?? I don't know. Either do you.

I don't know, but that's exactly my point. They may go 0-10 the rest of the year, or they may use this experience as a building block and beat some quality teams. Why not see how it plays out?

The problem with this failed attempt at making a point, is that the biggest obstacle we faced this year was an inexperienced defense. We will not be the same team at the end of the year as we are now. It will be a steep and quick learning curve. This team as they are now will not defeat any of those teams. But this team with more experience and Royston and Theret back?? I don't know. Either do you.

After an embarrassment to SD, and a raping coming from SC, I highly doubt "experience" will lead us past NI. I'm sure lack of confidence will lead us to losing that game. It will take an egg-laying by a later opponent for us to sneak out a victory. It's easy to say 1-11 right now, but I'll say 2-10. Maybe Illinois as the other win...

It is only one gaping hole on an entire team. Improvements there change the landscape pretty dramatically. It's not like we suck everywhere and we don't know where to start. Think about theret back in, royston back in. Suddenly you have two DB's to worry about and one of them happens to be Carter, I'm not worried about him as long as he has leadership around him. So it comes down to one DB.

I like our chances of improving. Will it be enough?? I'm not very confident. But let's not over state our suckdom.

After an embarrassment to SD, and a raping coming from SC, I highly doubt "experience" will lead us past NI. I'm sure lack of confidence will lead us to losing that game. It will take an egg-laying by a later opponent for us to sneak out a victory. It's easy to say 1-11 right now, but I'll say 2-10. Maybe Illinois as the other win...

Illinois? The same Illinois team that waltzed into TCF last year and punched the Gophers right in the mouth? The same Illinois team that destroyed the #2 FCS team last night?

It is only one gaping hole on an entire team. Improvements there change the landscape pretty dramatically. It's not like we suck everywhere and we don't know where to start. Think about theret back in, royston back in. Suddenly you have two DB's to worry about and one of them happens to be Carter, I'm not worried about him as long as he has leadership around him. So it comes down to one DB.

I like our chances of improving. Will it be enough?? I'm not very confident. But let's not over state our suckdom.

You are a positive guy but even you can see the writing on the wall...we lost to USD. It will go down as one of the most humiliating (probably the most along with Nebraska) losses in Gopher history. We had numerous problems in the game. Brewster isn't a very good coach. He has proven this by losing in a lot of ways to a lot of teams and I for one don't see it getting better. When does your positiveness become enabling and appeasing. We all love and support Gopher football but we need a good coach who can get us to the next level not back to the Wacker era.

It is as I have already stated the worst gopher loss I can remember.

It is as I have alteady stated totally on the coaches.

But still, we were exploited severly in just one phase of the game. Yet so many are trying to say that we suck in entirety. It's simply is not the truth. With a stout secondary that didn't allow the coyote passing game to succeed would this even be a game? We were defeated because we were terrible in just one phase of the game. I don't think it's unfathomable that we can correct that. By next week, no way. Enough to get by NIU? probably. Enough to win a few Big Ten games. I don't know, neither does anyone else.

I was there and we were exploited in numerous ways. Our offense coulda shoulda scored alot more if not for dropped passes, overthrown passes and fumbles. On defense they messed with our edges basically at will by throwing stupid little screen passes. Further, as you stated our secondary got lit up in numerous ways. Also, Our kicker can't kick. We were outcoached because our team was obviously not prepared. Finally, we lost to a team that is transitioning into D 1 football who recruits mainly Dakota and MN kids. But if you want to continue in your little fantasy world so be it I won't try to stop you.

From what I saw on highlights, it was the 1983 Illinois game, but we had the ability to score points on offense.

It is as I have already stated the worst gopher loss I can remember.

It is as I have alteady stated totally on the coaches.

But still, we were exploited severly in just one phase of the game. Yet so many are trying to say that we suck in entirety. It's simply is not the truth. With a stout secondary that didn't allow the coyote passing game to succeed would this even be a game? We were defeated because we were terrible in just one phase of the game. I don't think it's unfathomable that we can correct that. By next week, no way. Enough to get by NIU? probably. Enough to win a few Big Ten games. I don't know, neither does anyone else.

Was the secondary responsible for the 2 long naked boot leg TD runs by their QB? Was the secondary responsible for the perfect screen pass for a TD? The DE's and LB's are too slow. Maybe if Tinsley were to pretend he was running from the cops he'd catch someone....but then again...he got caught on foot by the UMPD :cool02:

Brewster was not ready to be a head coach. Is that his fault?

It's Maturi's fault for hiring him...& Brewster just seemed to jump on the "Spread Offense" Bandwagon because it's the Fad Offense in College Football & when he couldn't win with it he switched to Pro-Style & when he doesn't win with that he'll try something else...

Between the philosophy changes, scheme changes & revolving door coaches so far it has become quite clear that Minnesota is Brewster's Guinea Pig...

It's Maturi's fault for hiring him...

So what? You don't know sh*t about what it takes to develop a successful Division I football program and how hard it is to find a good coach at the level. With more money to work with than almost every school in the country here is the list of Notre Dame's football coaches since Lou Holtz:

1997–01 Bob Davie 35 25 .583
2001 George O'Leary 0 0 .000
2002–04 Ty Willingham 21 15 .583
2004 Kent Baer 0 1 .000
2005–09 Charlie Weis 35 27 .564

So what? You don't know sh*t about what it takes to develop a successful Division I football program and how hard it is to find a good coach at the level. With more money to work with than almost every school in the country here is the list of Notre Dame's football coaches since Lou Holtz:

1997–01 Bob Davie 35 25 .583
2001 George O'Leary 0 0 .000
2002–04 Ty Willingham 21 15 .583
2004 Kent Baer 0 1 .000
2005–09 Charlie Weis 35 27 .564

The excuses keep coming!

Top Bottom